Strange problem turning on HTPC/WMC

rldev

HTPC Specs: Show details

Strange problem turning on HTPC/WMC

Post by rldev » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:49 pm

I have a win 7 htpc hooked up to a new sony avr and a Mitsu DLP. I have everything working fairly well with one major exception. I have a harmony one setup to start WMC(htpc is always on) and the system. It will also close WMC on power off. The problem I have is as follows.

1. AfterI watch Live TV and then just hit the power off button everything goes off with the exception of the htpc. The power off command just closes the WMC window on the htpc. When I power back on, I get a zoomed in WMC start screen(aspect ratio changes).

werds

Post by werds » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:04 pm

I was about to post a lengthy answer when I realized barnabas knows the answer to this one since I resolved my SIMILAR screen being black when turning on TV issue from a post he had made a few years back lol... but the issue appears to be because you are coming out of hybrid sleep and either your driver is wonking out or windows is having an issue. There is a program you can use to fix this problem I just don't know what it is called off hand. I am sure there is also a shortcut you can use to reset it properly - and since you have a Harmony remote you could easily add that command to the TV activity for turning on.

rldev

Post by rldev » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Thanks werds. The problem is sporadic. The bigger problem is I don't know what to call the problem:) This makes it hard to search for an answer.

werds

Post by werds » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:31 am

rldev wrote:Thanks werds. The problem is sporadic. The bigger problem is I don't know what to call the problem:) This makes it hard to search for an answer.
I looked at an old search I had done when I had my issues it sounds as if your concern is like this one. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1396223/solve ... ver-resume

Again for me I used HDMIyo to resend the EDID for HDMI handshake when I come out of sleep (power on the tv even though the PC is on 24/7) and added a Windows Media Center command of Alt+1 to my TV activity for the turning on portion with my Harmony remote.

I KNOW there is a program that is specifically meant to close WMC when you turn it off (sleep) and that will assist in opening it back up correctly when you come back out of sleep but I have no idea what it is called and cannot remember... Also to note - the issues with Black screen or improperly sized WMC windows that I have had ALWAYS have come when I use an AMD display driver (I have never had the issue when using Intel IGP's).

But hopefully either the thread I linked or the different comments can help you run it down. Again I am almost dead certain I remember Barnabas having answered a thread like this on a previous thread on some other website (either AVS or the old greenbutton that is now windows experts) but I can't seem to replicate the search I did that found that particular thread atm lol

werds

Post by werds » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:20 am

Finally remembered the name of the other software in question that might assist...MCE Standby Tool. http://slicksolutions.eu/mst.shtml
YMMV as I have never used it but it seems as it might work in this situation.