Video Stuttering on certain channels and Playback

blupie

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by blupie » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:19 am

Shark007 wrote:It is my opinion that you have now ruled out codecs as the issue.
Most likely your issue is related to the refresh rate settings of your viewing hardware.
Ok. I am sorry . Don't know much about this but when I am watching live TV and Select 411, Control+D I see a refresh rate of 30. My other guess would be looking into my GPU settings??

When I go into the Nvidia control panel and I select change resolution I see the refresh rate set to 60HZ. Not sure if that is set correctly?
Thanks again.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:39 am

those refresh settings seem to be OK also.
The MKV that you are testing with; is it on a networked drive or is it on the PC from witch the player and codecs exists?
If on a networked drive, copy it to the same PC as the player and test it from there.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

blupie

Post by blupie » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:05 pm

Shark007 wrote:those refresh settings seem to be OK also.
The MKV that you are testing with; is it on a networked drive or is it on the PC from witch the player and codecs exists?
If on a networked drive, copy it to the same PC as the player and test it from there.
The MKV that I am testing with is a backup of the The Movie Cast Away. When I test the MKV movie I go through my network and play the same MKV file from the HTPC that does not work without stuttering. Doing it this way I have tested the original MKV file on my Laptop using MPC-HC and on my desktop using PotPlayer. The same original file playing from my HTPC has no stuttering at all. Yes , I am playing the same MKV file from the Pc(HTPC) from witch the player and codecs exist.
I have also played many of the other MKV movies I have with the HTPC and all have had the stuttering issue, not just Castaway.

blupie

Post by blupie » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:29 pm

I reread your post Shark007 and downloaded the original Castaway MKV to my laptop and played it there and it played fine , no stuttering.

Thanks again.

blushrts

Post by blushrts » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:27 pm

I currently have an HD7770 in my system and it stutters on my premium channels (29/59 frame rate). I don't want to give up my madvr settings, and the cards listed here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/index ... Rate_Issue are over a year old.

Does anyone have any experience with the ATI R9 series, 7800 series or the Nvidia equivalent and does it stutter because of the frame rate changes? Thanks.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:34 pm

Yes, the stuttering *IS* due to this 29/59 issue...

For me, the one thing that made it happen in a worse way was what the output to the TV was set to. I am using HDMI output (from an on-board AMD graphics), and when I set it to 1080 output, it dropped the frame rate to 30. Set to 720p and it was 60...Stuttering stopped...Note: even when set to 30hz, stutter was only on SOME channels...

So, double check your Display settings for the basics, not just the advanced things...

Scott

blushrts

Post by blushrts » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:38 pm

sbaeder, it is a little better set to 720, but I still see it. I'm looking for a 6850 as it looks like it can do a pretty good job with madvr.

genesound

Post by genesound » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:31 am

blupie, have you resolved your issue? No sage advice here, just reading and learning, going to look into Shark007's codecs.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:00 pm

blushrts wrote:I currently have an HD7770 in my system and it stutters on my premium channels (29/59 frame rate). I don't want to give up my madvr settings, and the cards listed here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/index ... Rate_Issue are over a year old.

Does anyone have any experience with the ATI R9 series, 7800 series or the Nvidia equivalent and does it stutter because of the frame rate changes? Thanks.
The fact that you "don't want to give up [your] madvr settings" is the problem. Have you tried disabling dynamic contrast?

blushrts

Post by blushrts » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:24 am

barnabas1969 wrote:
blushrts wrote:I currently have an HD7770 in my system and it stutters on my premium channels (29/59 frame rate). I don't want to give up my madvr settings, and the cards listed here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/index ... Rate_Issue are over a year old.

The fact that you "don't want to give up [your] madvr settings" is the problem. Have you tried disabling dynamic contrast?
No the problem is the content providers don't have the content flagged properly. That isn't going to get fixed.

I have dynamic contrast turned off, I wasn't aware it caused stuttering, it causes flashing.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:12 pm

Just because content contains both interlaced and progressive flags does not mean the content is flagged incorrectly. There are some scenarios where mixed flags are correct (e.g., hard telecine). The only way to know if the flags are set correctly or not is to examine the frames as they are rendered.

Also, dynamic contrast causes flickering, not stuttering. Stuttering is due to the GPU not being fast enough to transition from interlaced content to progressive content (or vice versa) without dropping frames. One thing to keep in mind: The more post-processing that must be done, the less time the GPU has to make the transition. Additionally, certain GPU driver versions have been known to introduce stuttering on GPUs that play smoothly on other driver versions.

blushrts

Post by blushrts » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:05 pm

So the frame rate switching multiple times a second isn't out of the ordinary? I've ordered an HD 6850, as after doing some research, it should be able to handle "my problem", my madvr settings.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:44 am

blushrts wrote:So the frame rate switching multiple times a second isn't out of the ordinary? I've ordered an HD 6850, as after doing some research, it should be able to handle "my problem", my madvr settings.
I guess you didn't do much reading about the 29/59 issue, did you?

Just an FYI: There are some video processing settings that, if turned on, can cause your video card to stutter when it receives 29/59 content. So, my question was actually valid.

blushrts

Post by blushrts » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:53 am

I asked a simple question about video cards. I've been at this long enough to go through and turn off all post processing settings. If you had just asked a question about the settings, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. There seems to be list of video cards that don't have the issue in the Microsoft post, so yes this looks like it is video card dependent. Hence the question about newer video cards. I have an HD6850 coming to put in my computer.

[Moderator note: hostile comments in this thread removed]

blushrts

Post by blushrts » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:08 pm

I'll say it again since it got removed, your condescending comment about what you think I should be doing with my computer is the issue.

blushrts

Post by blushrts » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:19 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
blushrts wrote:So the frame rate switching multiple times a second isn't out of the ordinary? I've ordered an HD 6850, as after doing some research, it should be able to handle "my problem", my madvr settings.
I guess you didn't do much reading about the 29/59 issue, did you?

Just an FYI: There are some video processing settings that, if turned on, can cause your video card to stutter when it receives 29/59 content. So, my question was actually valid.

"There is only one true solution to this problem: Encode the video with the correct metadata to begin with. The solution is the responsibility of the entity that encoded the video, which means contacting the broadcaster, cable network, or cable company that encoded the video and working with their engineers to resolve the issue. Additionally, Microsoft has acknowledged this issue in their Knowledge Base Article ID 2658140 with no known Windows Media Center resolution at this time."

"In Windows Media Center, you can see when the metadata in the content is incorrect. Simply start playing some content, press 4-1-1 and then the Info button on your remote, or type 411 and press Ctrl+D on your keyboard. This should bring up the debug screen in Windows Media Center. Using the right arrow, navigate the screens until you get to "Debug: Presentation", which is the furthest screen to the right. Look at the frame rate listed. If it changes between 29.97 and 59.9401 while playing the exact same content, you are seeing the metadata embedded in the signal fluctuating. This is commonly referred to as the 29/59 frame rate switching issue or the 29/59 bug."

I didn't write that, I've done my reading. All post processing options have been disabled (as I've always done for years) as recommended in the post.

So which channels are wrong? The 15 pay channels that do this, or the 190 or so others that don't.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:47 pm

blushrts wrote:So the frame rate switching multiple times a second isn't out of the ordinary?
It is, but there is a rare exception where the fluctuation is legitimate (properly-flagged hard-telecined content). You complained about stuttering and then blamed it on the content being flagged incorrectly. While you may be (and probably are) correct that the content is flagged incorrectly, that's not why you observe stuttering. You observe stuttering because your GPU/driver/settings don't play nice with the fluctuating flags in the content...even when the fluctuations are correct.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:08 am

Hey... here's an idea. How about trying an older driver? I'm no expert, but even the ATI Radeon HD 6450 that I tested back in April 2012 worked fine. I could be wrong, but it seems that your much newer graphics adapter should be much faster. Have you tried older versions of the drivers? It happens that newer drivers cause problems. But hey... I'm not a nice guy as you've already observed. Oh, and I'm not the one who devolved into using obscenities... that was you. I was actually trying to help you. I'm breaking my own rules by even replying to you at this point. Maybe you should recognize that this forum is filled with people who... maybe... just... maybe... might know more than you know about Media Center?

[ With all due credit to Richard... he's a VERY smart guy. Hats off to richard1980. I respect his research, knowledge, talent, and aptitude.]

[ Oh, and I certainly recognize that newer graphics adapters can certainly take a longer period of time to switch between interlace/progressive frames. ]

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:23 am

barnabas1969 wrote:I could be wrong, but it seems that your much newer graphics adapter should be much faster.
Newer <> faster. Case in point:
barnabas1969 wrote:How about trying an older driver?
barnabas1969 wrote:Have you tried older versions of the drivers? It happens that newer drivers cause problems.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:29 am

richard1980 wrote:Newer <> faster.
Yes, I understand. That's why I asked. But you know... I'm such a jerk... how could I possibly offer anything constructive to the OP? I mean, you know, it's so offensive to ask the OP if maybe his unwillingness to change settings, or revert to older drivers, could POSSIBLY be the problem.