Beta Candidate InfiniTV firmware available

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Dkeyguy1

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:08 pm

After a very long time of stability on 1182 firmware, (almost a year since my last beta attempt)
both InfiniTV4 Pcie in the same machine started giving subscription required messages on only 2 channels.
None of the other tuners, 1 InfiniTV4 usb, 2 HRP, 1 Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 2250, and Samsung GX-SM530CF, displayed any issues.
I upgraded firmware to 1226, still same issues, so I went with this, 13_10_28_177 firmware and 4 days stable with no issues.
We don't have TAs and the cable company is just transitioning to full digital with newer OD features.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:28 pm

I'm having a similar issue. My cable company just switched to full digital (I do have a TA which is working fine), and I have problems with just one channel. If I do a fresh firmware install and never allow my PC to sleep, this channel comes in fine, as it has for the past 2 years. If my computer ever sleeps and wakes, I can never tune this channel again unless I flash the firmware again (I get No Signal, on just that one channel). If I've flashed and power the computer on and off, the channel still works fine. So it seems sleep/wake is breaking something. The weird part is this now happens with every firmware now, not just this latest one.

Following up on the cable card issue I posted earlier, flashing an old firmware, then the new firmware solved the issue. Cable card status is good on the new firmware now.

Here are some details about the channel in question:
Signal Level -1.9dBmV
SNR 35.1 dB
Copy Free
Frequency 63000 QAM256
Temp 46.9 C

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:02 pm

I have found what may be an experiment on my cable company's part, one of my new channels, one that is not a problem for me, is H264, where the rest are mpeg2.
I only found this out by accident, by tuning my smart tv to one of the HD homerun prime tuners. Make sure if it's only one station, that it's not the signal itself.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:16 pm

I know the signal is fine because a cable box connected to the same cable has no issues. How can you tell if it's H264 versus MPEG2?

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:11 pm

Dkeyguy1 wrote: Make sure if it's only one station, that it's not the signal itself.
When I said signal, what I meant was stream, as in, specific to that frequency.
And no, I don't know how to determine what's coming in what format.
I thought one of the diagnostic programs I downloaded was capable, but no.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Thanks. I'll do some more digging and see if I can figure it out.

Channel works fine if I leave the PC on 24x7, but I sure would like to enable sleep again. But I think you're on to something with the format since this channel survived dozens of sleep/wake cycles per day for years before the full digital transition a few weeks ago.

I've ordered an HD Homerun Prime and will see if that works any better. I just dread going through the cable card pairing again.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:31 pm

Do yourself a favor and get another CableCard and keep both. I have 7 and will get another now because they are all currently paired after I got the Samsung box.....
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =22&t=6341

lopezi

Post by lopezi » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:07 am

Does the "Disable EAS forwarding" button actually suppress EAS alerts or is this a placeholder for functionality still to be developed? I've clicked the button but I am unsure what I should expect to see, should it toggle "disable"/"enable" or just always reflect "disable"?

Outside of that question, the firmware seems to be working ok, channel changes appear to be "quicker" although at times (no consistent pattern) I get a no channel available even though if I select a different channel and come back, the channel is now "available". This leads me to believe that there may be a timing issue with the TA possibly? This only happened once and a great while with the previous firmware although channel changes were slower relative to what I'm seeing with the new beta. Just an observation so far.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:29 am

lopezi wrote:Does the "Disable EAS forwarding" button actually suppress EAS alerts or is this a placeholder for functionality still to be developed? I've clicked the button but I am unsure what I should expect to see, should it toggle "disable"/"enable" or just always reflect "disable"?

Outside of that question, the firmware seems to be working ok, channel changes appear to be "quicker" although at times (no consistent pattern) I get a no channel available even though if I select a different channel and come back, the channel is now "available". This leads me to believe that there may be a timing issue with the TA possibly? This only happened once and a great while with the previous firmware although channel changes were slower relative to what I'm seeing with the new beta. Just an observation so far.
It it implemented. It only persists until the tuner is restarted. The wording does not change when it is disabled.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Teddyboy16

Post by Teddyboy16 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:49 pm

I was never able to resolve the pixelation issue with my InfiniTV4. I went through a whole host of troubleshooting with support to no avail. I finally gave up. Aside from random subscription errors. The pixelation only happens with more then one tuner is in use, and it only happens on a handful of channels. Mostly MSNBC, CNN, SyFi, are the biggest offenders. The pixelation is really bad on MSNBC. I'm willing to try it. Sigh here we go again...

KFish

Post by KFish » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:19 pm

I replaced my InfiniTV4 PCIe with my new InfiniTV6 PCIe tuner. Installation went smooth but the only delay was the pairing of the cable card through Comcast which was resolved after speaking with a second tech. I went ahead and installed the Beta Candidate firmware. I setup 6 channels to record within the same time frame last night so all 6 tuners were engaged. Fox, NBC, ABC, CW, Starz, and Encore were selected. I put the pc to sleep before retiring for the night. I checked the recordings today. All of the programs recorded with no signs of pixilation. I did another test today for about a half hour with all 6 tuners engaged with the same stations. I wanted to check the temp on the tuners just for curiosity's sake. The temps leveled out at 44.6c. I also checked those recorded programs and found no issues with image quality.

tim5455

Post by tim5455 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:48 am

erkotz wrote:
tim5455 wrote:I tried this with my InfinityTV 4 and it said failed saving the firmware to the device. My card still works fine, but no new firmware.
Try re-downloading it. Also what firmware version are you currently on?
After failing with the firmware, I opened up a ticket wit Ceton and found out my card is damaged, It had nothing to do with the update, but it at least showed me a problem I didn't know I had before the warranty ran out. Just thought you might want to know.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:15 am

mdavej wrote:Thanks. I'll do some more digging and see if I can figure it out.

Channel works fine if I leave the PC on 24x7, but I sure would like to enable sleep again. But I think you're on to something with the format since this channel survived dozens of sleep/wake cycles per day for years before the full digital transition a few weeks ago.

I've ordered an HD Homerun Prime and will see if that works any better. I just dread going through the cable card pairing again.
Well the sleep/wake thing and loading of firmwares and drivers turned to out just be a coincidence. The channel in question doesn't work any better on a Homerun Prime or a cable box. Problem is the cable company. Sorry for the red herring.

haydongreenbutton

Post by haydongreenbutton » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Flashed this earlier this week. So far no news is good news.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:21 pm

How long does the update REALLY take? It says 5 minutes, but mine's already been going for 10. Status just said step 1/8, so I closed Firefox, opened page in IE, reloaded the firmware and now it says update already in progress... Log:
Feb 7 02:23:34 ocur[21]: ocur: firmware_update.cgi get info 5501768
Feb 7 02:23:34 ocur[21]: ocur: firmware_update.cgi open 5501768
Feb 7 02:23:34 ocur[21]: ocur: web update filename ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_13_10_28_177.IMAGE
Feb 7 02:23:41 ocur[21]: ocur: firmware_update.cgi close, got 5501573 bytes
Feb 7 02:23:41 ocur[21]: ocur: Starting update from ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_13_10_28_177.IMAGE (5501422)
Feb 7 02:23:41 ocur[21]: core: ERROR: result: 12
Feb 7 02:23:41 ocur[21]: ocur: ERROR: Failed to create thread
Feb 7 02:23:41 ocur[21]: ocur: ERROR: failed to run web update
Feb 7 02:31:21 ocur[21]: ocur: STT time Fri Dec 13 22:13:30 2013 UTC
Feb 7 02:34:31 ocur[21]: ocur: firmware_update.cgi get info 5501765
Feb 7 02:34:31 ocur[21]: ocur: firmware_update.cgi open 5501765
Feb 7 02:34:31 ocur[21]: ocur: web update filename ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_13_10_28_177.IMAGE
Feb 7 02:34:36 ocur[21]: ocur: firmware_update.cgi close, got 5501571 bytes
Feb 7 02:34:36 ocur[21]: ocur: ERROR: Firmware update already in progress.
Feb 7 02:34:36 ocur[21]: ocur: ERROR: failed to run web update
Feb 7 02:35:18 ocur[21]: ocur: firmware_update.cgi get info 5501762
Feb 7 02:35:18 ocur[21]: ocur: firmware_update.cgi open 5501762
Feb 7 02:35:18 ocur[21]: ocur: web update filename ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_13_10_28_177.IMAGE
Feb 7 02:35:23 ocur[21]: ocur: firmware_update.cgi close, got 5501569 bytes
Feb 7 02:35:23 ocur[21]: ocur: ERROR: Firmware update already in progress.
Feb 7 02:35:23 ocur[21]: ocur: ERROR: failed to run web update
Rebooted PC. Tuner Diag page still says 132 firmware. WMC Live Tv working... Won't be trying that again!

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:34 pm

Opened ticket with Ceton. Gave them a diagnostic dump. They quickly provided a new beta build that installed fine. Hopefully my ETH6 likes it.

rudmeister

Post by rudmeister » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:55 pm

I have 2 infiinitv 4 cards in 2 different pcs. I tried updating one to the latest beta versions and the firmware update went fine but the hardware update hung for over 30 minutes on step 3. I rebooted the box and now neither device manager nor Ceton diags sees the card. Is there any hope? I don't think so. I have rebooted several times with no change. Running Windows 7 ultimate 64. Have opened a case with Ceton but have not heard back yet,

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:06 pm

rudmeister wrote:I have 2 infiinitv 4 cards in 2 different pcs. I tried updating one to the latest beta versions and the firmware update went fine but the hardware update hung for over 30 minutes on step 3. I rebooted the box and now neither device manager nor Ceton diags sees the card. Is there any hope? I don't think so. I have rebooted several times with no change. Running Windows 7 ultimate 64. Have opened a case with Ceton but have not heard back yet,
Not that this is the answer, but on a hardware update you need to shut the computer down completely. I usually shut down, pull the power plug and then hit the power button to make sure any residual current on the PCIe bus is fed to ground and then restart. However if the HW update failed and didn't drop back, chances are Ceton will have to reflash or whatever they do to resurrect the card.

lopezi

Post by lopezi » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:00 am

lopezi wrote:...the firmware seems to be working ok, channel changes appear to be "quicker" although at times (no consistent pattern) I get a no channel available even though if I select a different channel and come back, the channel is now "available". This leads me to believe that there may be a timing issue with the TA possibly? This only happened once and a great while with the previous firmware although channel changes were slower relative to what I'm seeing with the new beta. Just an observation so far.
I had to revert back to the previous firmware...I had thought this new beta was working "ok" but unfortunately not so. I am experiencing issues where the Tuning Adapter (STA1520) is not having it when using this firmware. Depending on which channels I tune in to, the Tuning Adapter will start to blink and then again, depending on the channel any subsequent channel changes will result in the "channel not available" message...If I power cycle the Tuning Adapter, things are fine until I start trying to select certain channels that seem to send everything south.

Once I reverted back to the previous firmware, all my channel changes are fine and the Tuning Adapter doesn't blink or otherwise stop responding. I'm not sure if there were changes/enhancements related to Tuning Adapter functionality in the new beta or not but with my case it didn't play nicely. I was really hoping the new beta firmware would be "ok" because I was looking forward to the "Disable EAS forwarding".

jfreiman

Post by jfreiman » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:37 am

My update fails too. I was able to successfully update my 6 ETH, but can not update my PCIe4 card. :/

The card is pretty reliable, but the promise of even better performance and/or reliability would be great since I travel often and I rely on my tuners to keep shows recorded and forwarded to my tablet/laptop.

I sent the Diag report to Ceton.