Win 8.1 Observations

MediaKing

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win 8.1 Observations

Post by MediaKing » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:52 pm

Posting two observations post 8.1 update:

1) I just updated 5 Windows 8 Pro boxes to 8.1 and ran into the 'no tuner available' bug when the PC in question was recording a show - MCE was not recognizing my three Silicondust HD Homerun Prime networked tuners (no issues prior to 8.1 update and tuners available via HD Homerun QuickTV app). I had to unistall/reinstall my HD Homerun software and run the MCE TV wizard again, which resolved the issue.

2) I also just noticed a HUGE improvement for those running multiple monitors with 8.1 - YOU CAN NOW PUT MCE FULL SCREEN MOVE YOUR MOUSE TO OTHER MONITORS!!!!! I now have my Sunday football on screen 3, Minecraft on screen 2, and Chrome on screen one - absolutely fantastic!! What an unexpected and awesome surprise!!

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:46 pm

The "fix" for the SD tuners is to remove them and then re-install them. I think there is a problem with the firewall after the update to 8.1. All the settings are set back to a new install and re-installing the SD driver writes the new FW rules. That worked for me.

However have you noticed any change in sharing of recorded tv programs? After the upgrade to 8.1, that computer no longer appears in any Win7 MC computer. The 8.1 computer however does see all the other computers and servers. Tried leaving and joining the homegroup, going in and setting sharing on the Recorded TV folder with the Homegroup, etc. The 8.1 computer does show up in homegroup and the folder for RecordedTV is there but not when I click on shared in RecordedTV in MC on a Win7 machine.

MediaKing

Post by MediaKing » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:25 pm

UPDATE: after rebooting, my observation on full-screen mouse behavior disappeared - which likely means I did something odd that allowed for that behavior. If anyone has cracked the multi-screen code and knows how to let WMC run full screen while working on other monitors (without alt-tab trickery - I don't want to see the task bar) let me know!

@JohnW - I upgraded all 5 of my PCs/laptops to Win8 at the same time, and haven't noticed any weirdness in sharing recorded TV. Note that all TV recordings are saved to a Synology NAS device, and the network location and all TV shows up in every Media Center as it did before. Can you map the Win8.1 RecordedTV folder to your Win7 PC, and then add it to the Win7 RecordedTV library that way?