Jumping ship

Chat with other TGB members about whatever is on your mind.
mdavej

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mdavej » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:02 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:How does the Primetime Anytime work? Does it pull the stream over the Internet?
No. It's kind of complicated, but the basic idea is that all the major networks are multiplexed together in a single stream (from the satellite), so a single tuner can be used to record them all, leaving the other 2 tuners free. There is enough disc space reserved to do a rolling 7-10 day-ish cycle for recording all of them, in prime time, every day.

DirecTV has the capacity to do the same thing, but it isn't automatic and doesn't take advantage of the multiplexing to minimize tuner usage. But they don't have to, because they have more tuners to begin with. I've had both, and was very happy with them.

I wish WMC was as simple and reliable. It's close enough for me, given the cost difference, but I can definitely see why WMC has such a small niche. The Q would have changed all that. C'est la vie.

Anyway, my WMC system is about 99.9% reliable as it is (I have to reboot an Echo every 3 months or so), and is saving me a ton of cash, so I can't complain. But if I weren't a computer geek, I never would have been able to get it to that point.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:29 pm

STC wrote:Come clean lithium360,

You planted bugs into your WMC so it would croak when you are out, just as wife sits down to watch her show.

Now you get the go-ahead for $2000 of dish equipment

Crafty.... ;)
She would have been happy switching a very long time ago. I could tolerate the quirks much better. Not to mention I'm not that crafty. Fortunately the cost of the equipment is much less. I have 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys. The up front cost was only $200. I probably would have gone with Tivos I had to pay that much.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:54 pm

mdavej wrote:the basic idea is that all the major networks are multiplexed together in a single stream (from the satellite), so a single tuner can be used to record them all, leaving the other 2 tuners free.
That's a good idea, and shows the benefit of owning the end-end broadcast technology. It is annoying that Media Centre will use two tuners to record two channels that are in the same DVB-S/T mux.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:24 pm

mdavej wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:How does the Primetime Anytime work? Does it pull the stream over the Internet?
No. It's kind of complicated, but the basic idea is that all the major networks are multiplexed together in a single stream (from the satellite), so a single tuner can be used to record them all, leaving the other 2 tuners free. There is enough disc space reserved to do a rolling 7-10 day-ish cycle for recording all of them, in prime time, every day.
What if you want to keep one of the shows longer than the 7-10 day period? First, is this possible, and second, does the entire mux get kept for the extended period of time?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:51 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
mdavej wrote:
What if you want to keep one of the shows longer than the 7-10 day period? First, is this possible, and second, does the entire mux get kept for the extended period of time?
Yes. That's no problem. If you setup a normal recording or mark it "keep", it will be saved forever without keeping the entire mux.