"Service is unavailable" for a single channel

ericm

HTPC Specs: Show details

"Service is unavailable" for a single channel

Post by ericm » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:13 pm

Hi folks. I've been researching cutting the cord for some time and finally made the break this weekend.

I dropped satellite in favor of OTA and have run a Mohu Leaf to a Win 7 PC using a Hauppauge 2250. WMC picks up all the channels I expected plus a few dozen more :clap: . My only issue is with the local ABC channels: Houstons 13-1 ,13-2, 13-3. The channel guide shows the correct information but all 3 channels show service is unavailable. The WinTV software that comes with the card also cannot find this channel set. If connected to the TV, the TVs signal meter shows 100 percent on all 3 channels.

I don't see any obvious issues (channels appaears to be named correctly, strong signal from the antenna, etc) so I'm stumped on what to do next. Any suggestions?

TV fool info pasted below:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... 5c3c0f711e

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:48 am

I would go into the guide and highlight the station callsign and right click, Then Edit Channel/Edit Sources. What is it saying about the sources for that channel. There should be 1 source per tuner, 2 tuners = 2 sources. If there are more sources than tuners you have to identify the erroneous sources and disable them. Also, look at the frrequencies that are listed for the sources. The guide has been known to get that wrong.

You can also try to manually add the station using Settings/TV/Guide/Add Missing Channels/Add DTV Channel. You'll need the channel information from the TVFool listing you posted.

ericm

Post by ericm » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:34 am

Thanks Dmagerl. The PC has a hauppage 2250 (2 tuner). Clicking on 13.1 provides two tuners; tuner #1 & tuner #2, both showing channel 13.1 / quality 100%.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:09 am

What does a signal strength scan say?

The two sources should show the physical channel, the actual frequency its transmitting on. I assume it's ch13? The sources should not be showing 13.1
Quality will always show as 100. Its a bug.

I would try manually adding it in.

It could always be a PSIP problem with the station, but that usually only affects MCE due to how MCE works. The fact that WinTv has problems says the PSIP is screwed up enough to affect it too, or its something else.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:15 am

I take back what I said. It will say 13.1 if it's on ch13. So there's nothing wrong there.

So in my mind, its pointing to a PSIP problem, but I would still try manually adding it in.