Cannot Pause, Rewind, or Stop Live TV

houseofbugs

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cannot Pause, Rewind, or Stop Live TV

Post by houseofbugs » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:34 am

Hey there. I have been a long time lurker but now I need a bit a help.

I have a fresh installation of Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 with the Shark007 Codecs installed with defaults (x86 and x64). No matter what I do (even before the codecs are installed) I cannot pause, rewind, or even stop playback of any Live TV. I am using a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Tuner with Comcast cable and I have the DCA installed and it is enabled/setup.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks in advance!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:56 am

Please post more information about your hardware.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:07 pm

Do you have iTunes running in the background?

houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:22 pm

Scallica wrote:Please post more information about your hardware.
Sure thing!
Its an HP DC6000 series desktop.
Intel Q8400 Core 2 Quad
4GB DDR3
60GB SSD for the OS
500GB HDD for recording/live tv buffer
RAdeon HD6450
Panasonic 50" Plasma via HDMI
TV Tuner: HDHomeRun Prime (using Comcast with a CableCard)
Logitech Harmony 650 Remote

I thought it was a codec issue so I reinstalled after trying to restore settings I found online but it did not work. So last night I reinstalled the OS and the pause, rewind, and stop did not work on live TV. I had this MCE system setup for over a year with no issues and it just started happening so I am not sure what the deal it. I know its not windows updates as this system does not have any (other than the bundled SP1) installed right now and it is still not working. The media buttons on the keyboard and even the MCE onscreen ones don't work (tried this to rule out issues with the remote that I was using).

If there is anything I can try that would be great. Thanks!

And to the other poster below the first reply I am not using itunes and it is not installed on the machine.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:18 pm

The reason I asked about iTunes is that it has a nasty habit of claiming the media keys when it should not. Do you have any other media related apps running in the background? Have you tried booting to safe mode (assuming that wmc runs in safemode)? Perhaps use msconfig.exe to disable all non microsoft services and processes. I had a IR receiver go bad awhile back but if your keyboard doesn't work either that probably isn't it. May wish to unplug the IR receiver and then try the keyboard.

houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:37 am

SilverRubicon wrote:The reason I asked about iTunes is that it has a nasty habit of claiming the media keys when it should not. Do you have any other media related apps running in the background? Have you tried booting to safe mode (assuming that wmc runs in safemode)? Perhaps use msconfig.exe to disable all non microsoft services and processes. I had a IR receiver go bad awhile back but if your keyboard doesn't work either that probably isn't it. May wish to unplug the IR receiver and then try the keyboard.
Thanks for the input. I tried my keyboard and even click on the onscreen buttons in MCE and even they didnt work...

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:56 am

houseofbugs wrote: If there is anything I can try that would be great.
Try moving the Recorded TV location temporarily to the C: drive as a test.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:27 am

When you reinstalled windows did you change any BIOS settings? Also did you go to HP's website (support/drivers) and install all the driver packages for your specific PC with the latest versions? Does the PC have a built-in IR receiver or are you using an external? If it has a built in IR make sure the USB drivers are installed and up to date as most internal IR's connect to a USB header. Have you checked device manager to see if there are any conflicts or missing drivers?
If all else fails I would try two things.
1) open an elevated command prompt and type sfc /scannow and see if you have any corrupt system files. If that comes back ok.
Then..
2) open control panel, programs and features.
On the left click on add/remove windows features. In the list that is provided find Media Center and uncheck it and remove it from your PC, reboot, then go back into it again recheck the media center box and reinstall it. This has been known to repair media center at times without having to do a complete windows reinstall. Good Luck.
newfiend