Using HTPC For WTV Video Compression

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
choliscott

HTPC Specs: Show details

Using HTPC For WTV Video Compression

Post by choliscott » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:58 am

Hi Everyone,

My HTPC currently has an I5 2500K CPU, along with 8 GB of Ram. My question is how many of you are using your HTPC to compress your WMC recordings & if so, what CPU & how much ram are you using?

The reason why I'm asking is I have another machine with a I5 3570K that I'm currently using to compress some of my recordings & was toying with the Idea of consolidating the conversion process to the HTPC & leaving the hardware as is (in the HTPC) or Swapping the 2500K for the 3570K & increasing the Ram from 8 GB to 16 GB.

Another reason why I'm asking is the machine that has the 3570K, the wife uses (very seldom) & I recently picked up a computer with a G2020 CPU, which would probably be more appropriate for her needs (Facebook, Twitter, Spotify, You Tube, paying bills & watching the occasional show from Abc, NBC, etc that didn't get recorded). Before I do anything, I would need to run tests to make sure the G2020 system can handle what I can throw at it.

The overall idea was to maybe consolidate & possibly selling one of the I5's, but I haven't made up my mind.

Thanks

barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:52 pm

I can't help you with the compression, but if you swap CPU's in your HTPC, you will lose access to all of your copy-protected recordings.