Moving On... New Firmware Releases

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
IownFIVEechos

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:28 pm

Sammy2 wrote:I see, $60 on two. So they had them at $129 less $60 on two which basically made it two for $198?

:)

reggie14

Post by reggie14 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:45 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:Well its been twenty four hours and no reply from Ceton. I will take that for what its worth.
It's not worth much. It's unreasonable to expect Ceton to respond to that question in 24 hours. I doubt they'll ever respond. But I wouldn't read too much into that, other than I expect them to be even more skittish about making any promises about the Echo.

I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't put out some firmware updates containing bug fixes, but I definitely wouldn't expect much in the way of additional features.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:53 pm

reggie14 wrote:
IownFIVEechos wrote:Well its been twenty four hours and no reply from Ceton. I will take that for what its worth.
It's not worth much. It's unreasonable to expect Ceton to respond to that question in 24 hours. I doubt they'll ever respond. But I wouldn't read too much into that, other than I expect them to be even more skittish about making any promises about the Echo.

I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't put out some firmware updates containing bug fixes, but I definitely wouldn't expect much in the way of additional features.

Something's that do not pertain to the video quality or stability would be the 'preview window' that should not be broken. Also the Zoom does not work right. Simple things to make it feel complete?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:38 pm

It's never going to be completed. It's over. End of the line. Everybody out. Finished. Complete. The End. El Final. La Fin. La Conclusione.

I can't think of any more ways to say it.

Use it for what you can get out of it. And that's it.

ucfknight

Post by ucfknight » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:46 pm

reggie14 wrote: I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't put out some firmware updates containing bug fixes
I, unfortunately, would not be surprised

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:51 pm

The Echo is still prominent on Ceton's website. The Newegg Labor Day sale is over and the Echo is back to normal price. The Newegg feedback comments on the Echo range from great to unacceptable with only 110 reviews posted. Only 45% rate it as above average.

My concern is that Ceton has had not one word in months concerning bug fixes or updates. That's unacceptable.

As one reviewer noted, the only other current extender available remains the Xbox.

My, we've really regressed in the last 10 - 20 years. Used to be, you could hook up a VCR, then later, a DVR and record whatever you wanted. You could have multiple TV's in the house with no problem. Then along came the set top boxes and cable cards. Now I have 100's of channels to choose from, 95% of which I could care less about. And I can't see them without renting yet more gizmos from Comcast for other TV's. Even though I'm paying for all those channels.

Now I have a frigging computer and more TV hardware to record programs, and still can't reliably see that content on other TV's with yet more TV hardware.

Where's the FCC when you need them?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:20 pm

mldenison wrote:The Echo is still prominent on Ceton's website. The Newegg Labor Day sale is over and the Echo is back to normal price. The Newegg feedback comments on the Echo range from great to unacceptable with only 110 reviews posted. Only 45% rate it as above average.

My concern is that Ceton has had not one word in months concerning bug fixes or updates. That's unacceptable.

As one reviewer noted, the only other current extender available remains the Xbox.

My, we've really regressed in the last 10 - 20 years. Used to be, you could hook up a VCR, then later, a DVR and record whatever you wanted. You could have multiple TV's in the house with no problem. Then along came the set top boxes and cable cards. Now I have 100's of channels to choose from, 95% of which I could care less about. And I can't see them without renting yet more gizmos from Comcast for other TV's. Even though I'm paying for all those channels.

Now I have a frigging computer and more TV hardware to record programs, and still can't reliably see that content on other TV's with yet more TV hardware.

Where's the FCC when you need them?
If you use a network tuner you can tap into that content at each TV for around $300 for a basic HTPC running Win7. Actually some stuff coming off lease now will work just fine to do it. You don't need to rent the STB from the CableCo but you won't have a true whole home solution. That said, Charter doesn't have one either but they charge you $5/mo per STB and $20/mo for DVR service up to 4 STB's. After that it is another $20/mo for DVR service on up to 4 more STB's.

kingwr

Post by kingwr » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:38 pm

Sammy2 wrote:If you use a network tuner you can tap into that content at each TV for around $300 for a basic HTPC running Win7
But again, you won't have the now ubiquitous whole-home solution, e.g., while you can share some recordings, you can't schedule/manage recordings from each TV and have it stored in one central location, you can't stop a show in one room and start it back in another, etc., all of which have become commonplace features in UVerse, DirecTV, Comcast, Tivo, and others.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:59 pm

You can have one centralized guide to manage/schedule recordings with this plugin:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... ?f=9&t=523

jmelan

Post by jmelan » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:09 pm

The Echo is dead. I would not expect any upgrades to really be beneficial - the hardware design is flawed and no firmware update is going to fix that. And Ceton has obviously decided it is not worth the effort.

They could have easily offered an Android upgrade program if the problem was really as stated, but they did not. This is absolutely unacceptable.

Something else is going on here. I think they will try to wait for the storm to blow over (may never happen) and then announce a new product in January.

I would still love to support Ceton. I appreciate what they have done in pushing cablecard and extender technology forward. But it is going to be pretty difficult to trust them as a company in the future.

jjhtpc

Post by jjhtpc » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:46 pm

So I tried to post a thread regarding new firmware and if there would be new firmware. It did not just get locked... it doesn't even exist.
What is the deal here mods that is ridiculous. If there is going to be new firmware is a valid question. It's not stirring the pot.

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:54 pm

I think the question has been asked before with no answer, and the topics just turn into a Ceton bashing fest.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:07 pm

jjhtpc wrote:So I tried to post a thread regarding new firmware and if there would be new firmware. It did not just get locked... it doesn't even exist.
What is the deal here mods that is ridiculous. If there is going to be new firmware is a valid question. It's not stirring the pot.
I replied in your thread that it could be deleted as this thread existed; and linked you to here. Apparently someone agreed. You should have just posted in/bumped this thread to begin with instead of starting an exact duplicate thread. You found this thread easy enough this time; no reason you couldn't have the first time.

jjhtpc

Post by jjhtpc » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:12 pm

I know people have claimed this is a Ceton controlled board now, and well I'm starting to believe it.
They only let on what they want you to see. Anyways my question was whether there will be any f/w releases as the android post implied support but not specifically f/w. My question is a valid one as I would like to make a decision on getting rid of my echo. It currently does not do what I want it to (and no I'm not expecting it to do anything more than the current extenders that I have).

The reason I posted a new thread is that this one had gone ot a long time ago.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:15 pm

You're posting in the Ceton Echo sub forum - of course this part is under Ceton's control. All the official Ceton sub-forums are. The non-Ceton parts are only controlled by TGB mods/admins.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:54 pm

jjhtpc wrote:I know people have claimed this is a Ceton controlled board now, and well I'm starting to believe it.
They only let on what they want you to see. Anyways my question was whether there will be any f/w releases as the android post implied support but not specifically f/w. My question is a valid one as I would like to make a decision on getting rid of my echo. It currently does not do what I want it to (and no I'm not expecting it to do anything more than the current extenders that I have).

What part of "Moderator: Ceton" did you not understand at the top of the Ceton Section of TGB did you not understand?

grinchy

Post by grinchy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:59 pm

Has anyone opened an actual support case asking about future FW releases/support for the Echo?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:05 am

grinchy wrote:Has anyone opened an actual support case asking about future FW releases/support for the Echo?
Why would they? That's an improper avenue to take. The forums are the appropriate place to ask.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:42 am

Sammy2 wrote:
jjhtpc wrote:I know people have claimed this is a Ceton controlled board now, and well I'm starting to believe it.

What part of "Moderator: Ceton" did you not understand at the top of the Ceton Section of TGB did you not understand?
shhhhhhhh--conspiracy theories are MUCH wore worth his time.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:37 am

staknhalo wrote:You're posting in the Ceton Echo sub forum - of course this part is under Ceton's control. All the official Ceton sub-forums are. The non-Ceton parts are only controlled by TGB mods/admins.
FYI TGB staff read and moderate all forums on this site. The Ceton section is not limited to Ceton moderation alone.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123