WMC and Windows 8.1

DJ DOC

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC and Windows 8.1

Post by DJ DOC » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:06 pm

Windows 8.1 will be available October 17, 2013 for Windows 8 users for free via Windows Update or the Windows Store.

But beware! What happens to Media Center during the Windows 8.1 Preview update?

If Media Center is already installed on the system to be updated, it will be available after the update is complete. If you install the Windows 8.1 Preview using an ISO file, you’ll need to use your Windows 8 Pro Pack or Media Center Pack product key to re-enable Media Center.

If you use an Xbox 360 as a Media Center Extender, you should skip the preview release. Windows 8.1 does not work properly in that configuration. The problems should be resolved by RTM.

There will be alot of new things in Windows 8.1 like Intenet Explorer 11 but I think there is too much hassle in reference to Windows Media Center. I will download MCE RTB for Windows 8 and leave it at that.

jfreiman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jfreiman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:39 pm

If you have access to the RTM you are safe to upgrade again.

I too was fooled by the MS FAQ saying that Media Center was supported in the Preview only to install it and find that while Media Center worked, Extenders didn't- that sucked.

using the method you mentioned above I was able to upgrade to 8.1 RTM and both Media Center and Xbox Media Center now work!