Back to Back recording not working

Mike88

HTPC Specs: Show details

Back to Back recording not working

Post by Mike88 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:38 am

I’ve been recording America’s Got Talent. WMC7 is set to record all new episodes & starts 2 mins early & ends 5 mins late.

Wednesday has a recap show from 7pm to 8pm and a results show from 8pm to 9pm. Both are labeled as new.

The last 2 weeks the recap was recorded on Wed from 6:58pm to 8:05pm which is correct.
But the results show was bumped to a re-broadcast on Thurs from 6:58pm to 8:05pm.

I went back into the history & a few weeks ago the recap was recorded on Wed from 6:58pm to 8:05pm and the results show was also recorded on Wed from 8:05pm to 9:05pm. That's how I think it should be all the time.

The recording schedule indicates 2 recordings to take place next week on Wednesday, & IIRC the schedule always shows this, which should be proper.

Why does the second recording on Wed sometimes get bumped to a re-broadcast on Thurs and sometimes not?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:14 pm

It could be just a simple problem of not enough tuners available to satisfy all the recording requests during that block of time. Check your recording history for the last two Wednesdays and see if you have other recordings that cause all tuners to be in use at any time from 8:05 to 9:05. If you find something, go check the series priorities.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:25 am

On the days in question the only programs being recorded were the two occurrences of AGT. I have 4 tuners so there should be no problems.

I don't know if there is always a re-broadcast on Thursday. But in the cases where there is, could WMC be choosing to pickup the re-broadcast instead of chopping part of a program due to the extra padding that was added? I've never experienced that but I don't usually check if there is going to be a re-broadcast.

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:54 pm

I run into this occasionally. A program should be recorded at say 9pm but wmc will record the one at 11pm or 4pm the next day. Not sure why it does it but I just modify the record settings to record "around 9pm".

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:00 am

I searched & found this thread from last year, & I was also in it but just asking a question.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=1953
The OP in message #1 said he had plenty of tuners available. And crawfish in message #3 appears to have experienced the same problem as per the last paragraph. It seems this just happens sometimes.

I'm using WMC7 to do OTA recording & a lot of the major networks do not re-broadcast programs later in the week. That's probably why I've never had this problem before. This is not a major problem as long as there is a re-broadcast to record.

The program in question is set to stop recording 5 minutes late, not the default 3 mins & not 10 mins in order to force another tuner into use. Maybe that's a factor. I changed it to stop 10 mins late for this week & we'll see what happens.

Hotfart

Post by Hotfart » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:56 am

I believe Mike88 is correct. I had similar problems to the OP's issue awhile back, and changed the recording buffer defaults to stop "10 minutes after" (**NOT** "10 minutes after, when possible"). I haven't had a problem since. Like he said, it seems to force a 2nd tuner into use. Like you, I also have 4 tuners, and it would do this to me even when only 1 was in use. Just make sure to check the settings on your existing series recordings & one-off recordings and you should be good. Good luck!