dual video and audio out

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
jetskidj

HTPC Specs: Show details

dual video and audio out

Post by jetskidj » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:36 pm

Help please,
I have a newer Hp desktop dedicated to running media center that has a ceton cable card,
I’m using the HDMI output for sound and video.
But I want to (at the same time as my HDMI output is running have an analog audio output and a composite output.
Can I purchase an additional video and sound card and keep the stock HDMI running?
Or may be somehow getting the computer to run audio thru the stock HDMI and the stock audio out?
I don’t mind spending a little money to make it reliable this is the main computer for my whole house and I don’t want it to crash.
Thanks in advance.
Dan

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:01 pm

Why do you want to do this what are you trying to do? Run more than one TV of this one PC?
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

jetskidj

Post by jetskidj » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:54 pm

I have an analog distribution set up in the closet next to my media center that runs audio / video to other parts of the house and my pool TV. I also have an amp in the same closet that run speakers to the pool area and kitchen (amp is analog).
I had it running great when I had my DVR from Comcast but now I’m running the Ceton via HDMI.
Thanks
Dan

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:08 pm

I'm not sure about this perhaps someone else can help? I don't think you can have two different audio outputs going at the same time as Windows just uses the one default audio device in the Windows Playback devices dialog.

It should be possible to have two video outputs I would think, some graphics cards are double headed or maybe with two graphics cards? Tricky question!

I was going to suggest using a HDMI distribution unit but no good if you are using analog.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

WarrenH

Post by WarrenH » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:55 am

That's right, multiple video is possible but only a single audio source

jetskidj

Post by jetskidj » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Well the sound is more important to me than anything (Music back porch). If I run the sound out of the analog out put from the media computer and split the signal would I lose the 5.1 surround sound?

I was thinking I would.

Thanks
Dan

jetskidj

Post by jetskidj » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:27 pm

Never mind, going to use a HDMI to analog converter with a spliter. Both for a total of under $50 bucks.

Dan

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:39 pm

I used this MCE add-in before so I could switch the windows default audio device between speakers (analog) and HDMI from within the Media Center UI and if you add the reg hack all you have to do it press the mute button on the MCE remote. Not sure if this would help you though.

http://windowsmediacenter.blogspot.com/ ... evice.html

Have you got link to the device you are going to use? Just out of interest.
Stuart

The Digital Lifestyle

jetskidj

Post by jetskidj » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:16 pm

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... KABEPMCMAU#

with a HDMI spliter.

Thanks for your idea but I need both HDMI and analog on at the same time.

Dan

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:52 pm

Make sure your HDMI splitter supports the HDCP repeater bit or it won't work.

You actually could have done what you want without having to purchase anything, with 2 different configurations possible. Most sound cards come with both analog outputs and S/PDIF outputs, which can be driven simultaneously using the same audio source (basically, the audio signal gets split at the sound card and the same signal is sent to 2 different outputs). That would allow you to output both digital and analog audio simultaneously to different devices. If you were dealing with different audio sources you could set each application to use a different audio device. For example, WMC will use the default audio output device, but WMP could be set to use a different device. I think both of these options would cover all the possible output scenarios.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:58 pm

Woudl adding a media center extender achieve this function?

You can run a network cable to the media closet, and connect the outputs from the MCE to the whole house distribution system. Most of the ones that work with WMC7 have digital and analog outputs.