Chromecast functionality on the HTPC?

craig-tx

HTPC Specs: Show details

Chromecast functionality on the HTPC?

Post by craig-tx » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:04 pm

Google's new $35 Chromecast device looks incredible. The capability it provides looks promising, and I'm excited to see how far it can be taken.

However, unlike the masses, many readers on this site actually have a computer connected to their TV. I still like the idea of being able to take whatever I have on my desktop / laptop / tablet / phone, etc. and literally throw it up on the TV to share with others. But I'm lazy and not wanting to switch inputs will likely override the desire to show the video someone sent me of a cat doing something stupid.

BUT, chromecast is more about a new protocol than a little dongle. Has anyone looked at creating a chromecast receiver app that can be run in WMC?

I know it is literally only days old... I'm just hoping someone has started the work. I'd pay $35 for that app over the dongle. (Although, I'd hope it wasn't that expensive...)

therealbiglou

Post by therealbiglou » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:14 pm

I would love to see Chromecast as a plugin for WMC. There's a project called Leapcast which shows to have some promise. Does anyone know of any plans in incorporating this into WMC?

https://github.com/dz0ny/leapcast

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:44 pm

You can already "pair" YouTube on a tablet with a Chrome browser running on a Desktop or Laptop, so that you can "cast" a video from your tablet to the Chrome Browser. When used with the ReLaunch plugin in WMC, you can get some of the ChromeCast experience for YouTube, without having a ChromeCast device.

This writeup was posted last November, and Barnabas referred to it last week:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=9&t=3443

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:41 pm

foxwood wrote:You can already "pair" YouTube on a tablet with a Chrome browser running on a Desktop or Laptop, so that you can "cast" a video from your tablet to the Chrome Browser. When used with the ReLaunch plugin in WMC, you can get some of the ChromeCast experience for YouTube, without having a ChromeCast device.

This writeup was posted last November, and Barnabas referred to it last week:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=9&t=3443
I think people are looking for a more graceful solution, I know I'd like to see one, and that doesn't seem impossible with the advent of Chromecast. After all, adding AirPlay (Apple) only requires a simple plug in. Not to mention, the above solution only provides you with Youtube.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:07 pm

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:10 pm

Yeah I can already do YouTube, I'll wait till he gets Netflix working to try it.