Anyone know of a smaller 2x20 VFD/LCD display?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anyone know of a smaller 2x20 VFD/LCD display?

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:12 pm

I am building a new HTPC in a thin mini ITX case (google "Morex 887"). I'd like to modify the front panel to install a 2x20 display. However, all the displays I've seen are too tall. The printed circuit board (PCB) on them are all 1.42" in height. I need one that's 1.25" or smaller. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks in advance.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:42 pm

Not quite what you want, I've seen at least one project somewhere with the actual display connected to the pcb with a ribbon cable - a possibility if you don't mind a spot of delicate soldering? I'll try and find a link.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:47 pm

Have you looked into SmartieLCD displays on ebay?

I have one, and have no use for it, since you can't see it from farther than 2 feet away. I just went to Target and got an LED (not LCD) alarm clock. Took the board out of the case, and mounted it in the case (nMediaPC 1080P) where the LED was supposed to be. The PCB is larger than the openning, but the actual LED fits just fine.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:08 pm

That's an interesting idea. How are you powering it?

One of the minor annoyances with WMC is that I can easily check the time when watching a recording, by pressing the Play button to display the scrub-bar and the time, but when I'm back in the list of recordings, trying to decide whether I have time to watch something else, there's no way to display the time. It would be great if the time was always displayed when a video isn't playing.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:59 pm

I just bought an alarm clock and set it on top of my entertainment cabinet. Works fine for the time. I would like to find a 2x20 display that fits in this case and display other information, like what's recording now... etc.

@holidayboy: My existing display looks like there are no solders between the PCB and the display. I assume that there are spring loaded pins on the back of the display. The display is held on the PCB with parts of the display's metal case protruding through the PCB, and they are simply twisted. I considered taking it apart, but was afraid to break it. I suppose since it's been just sitting in a box for more than a year that it couldn't hurt if I break it.

I'd still appreciate a link if you can find it.

@blueiedgod: I'll see what I can find. I didn't look on e-bay. What are the dimensions of the PCB on the display you own?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:11 pm

OK, so I took it apart. The LCD panel is actually connected to the PCB by way of tiny little carbon conductors embedded in two rubber strips that make contact with the PCB. There is no way to solder it. The only thing soldered are the connections to the LED's that are used for illumination.