Sending my ETH6 back for RMA :-(

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
wackychimp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Sending my ETH6 back for RMA :-(

Post by wackychimp » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Just packed up my InfiniTV ETH6 to send back via RMA. :( It would rarely tune a channel and if it did it didn't hold it for longer than a half hour or so and that was on a good day. The errors it would give were hardly ever the same and varied from "Display Driver Error", "Service is Unavailable - There is currently no TV signal detected for this channel", "No tuner available to satisfy this request", "Subscription Required". (For the record, the Tivo downstairs was tuning everything just fine). Set up: Brand new Win 7 WMC HTPC and even a new tuning adapter and CableCARD from TWC.

Ceton support was nice and we threw 3 or 4 beta firmwares at it but nothing solved the issue. Even swapped out the TA & CC once for brand new ones.

I skimmed this thread too and it seems others are unhappy with the device. I didn't even get enough of a recording to start worrying about "macroblocking".

I'm wondering if I should just ask for my money back...? I love the idea of my WMC box handling TV and movie watching and being able to upgrade it to (seemingly) unlimited storage... but it seems like the ETH6 isn't a perfect solution.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:45 pm

wackychimp wrote:I love the idea of my WMC box handling TV and movie watching and being able to upgrade it to (seemingly) unlimited storage... but it seems like the ETH6 isn't a perfect solution.
Have you considered trying the HDHR Prime? I am sure many would be interested to see if your results are the same or different.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:46 pm

Try a 4 PCI.

NizZ8

Post by NizZ8 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:00 pm

I have both the EHT6 an 4 PCIe version running in my current setup.

I have been running into alot of the same issues that people have been posting since i added the ETH6 into the mix, but before that my 4 tuner PCIe (using network tuner sharing) was rock solid for the past year or so.

But yeah with the ETH6 i've been hitting issues left and right, which has proved to be a bit annoying.

wackychimp

Post by wackychimp » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:11 am

Scallica wrote:Have you considered trying the HDHR Prime? I am sure many would be interested to see if your results are the same or different.
I've been reading about it since I started having the troubles with the Ceton but I'm wary with all of the trouble I've had. I wonder if I've been spoiled by the Tivo... it just works.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:46 pm

I've been very happy with my HD HomeRun Primes. They've worked better than the InfiniTV4 ever did.

Jay

Post by Jay » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:53 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I've been very happy with my HD HomeRun Primes. They've worked better than the InfiniTV4 ever did.
No issues for me on the 2 x InfiniTV4, can't comment on the InfiniTV6 eth version other than I would love to have one if it is as reliable as the InfiniTV4 version. I do have a 3 Tuner HD HomeRun as well to feed my kids PCs and no complaints.

Ideal situation would be to get a InfiniTV6 to reduce the # of cable cards down to 1 (also dropping the Homerun CC), and using the Homerun to feed everyone the ClearQAM channels (network). But due to the number of issues raised on the InfiniTV6 right now, I'll stick with what I have. Don't want to impact the WAF score.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Jay wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:I've been very happy with my HD HomeRun Primes. They've worked better than the InfiniTV4 ever did.
No issues for me on the 2 x InfiniTV4, can't comment on the InfiniTV6 eth version other than I would love to have one if it is as reliable as the InfiniTV4 version. I do have a 3 Tuner HD HomeRun as well to feed my kids PCs and no complaints.

Ideal situation would be to get a InfiniTV6 to reduce the # of cable cards down to 1 (also dropping the Homerun CC), and using the Homerun to feed everyone the ClearQAM channels (network). But due to the number of issues raised on the InfiniTV6 right now, I'll stick with what I have. Don't want to impact the WAF score.
For me, each cable card is $2.95/month. The TA's are free, and my cable provider doesn't charge me anything for "additional outlet" fees. I see that you have your HD HomeRun Prime connected only to your kids' PC's... I challenge you to set your HD HomeRun Prime tuners as the primary tuner on all of your channels on the main HTPC. Then, report back here regarding the number of error messages you (no longer) receive on your main HTPC vs. the InfiniTV4's. Also, how about the tuning speed, and the (lack of) the spinning circle when you first start Media Center?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:12 pm

Jay wrote:...and using the Homerun to feed everyone the ClearQAM channels
Oops... maybe you don't actually have the HD HomeRun PRIME? If you're talking about ClearQAM, you're talking about a different animal.

Jay

Post by Jay » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:15 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
Oops... maybe you don't actually have the HD HomeRun PRIME? If you're talking about ClearQAM, you're talking about a different animal.
No, I have the Prime (uses the CC). I might be under the wrong impression that you can use it without the CC and still get ClearQAM channels, though I do know you cannot use it for analog or digital over the air channels (at least I'm fairly certain).

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:18 pm

I challenge you to set your HD HomeRun Prime tuners as the primary tuner on all of your channels on the main HTPC. Then, report back here regarding the number of error messages you (no longer) receive on your main HTPC vs. the InfiniTV4's.
If you're saying that the InfiniTV throws errors all the time, I'm here to say you are absolutely 100% wrong.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:37 pm

Jay wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:
No, I have the Prime (uses the CC). I might be under the wrong impression that you can use it without the CC and still get ClearQAM channels, though I do know you cannot use it for analog or digital over the air channels (at least I'm fairly certain).
You're correct that the HDHRP cannot receive NTSC or ATSC. I don't know if it can be used for "clear" QAM without a CableCARD. I haven't tried this, but it may be possible.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:42 pm

adam1991 wrote:
I challenge you to set your HD HomeRun Prime tuners as the primary tuner on all of your channels on the main HTPC. Then, report back here regarding the number of error messages you (no longer) receive on your main HTPC vs. the InfiniTV4's.
If you're saying that the InfiniTV throws errors all the time, I'm here to say you are absolutely 100% wrong.
No, my InfiniTV4 didn't throw errors "all the time", but it was much more frequent than what I see with the HDHRP's. Also, channel changing was much faster with the HDHRP compared to the ITV4.

For example, I got errors telling me that the...

channel wasn't available, the signal was weak, or something similar

just about every day with the ITV4. Yes, it still recorded the show most of the time (because the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th tuner recorded it). But I've had the HDHRP tuners for more than a year now... and I only see these messages once every week or two now.

And... my HDHRP tuners never miss a show unless the guide data is wrong.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Oh... oops... I missed the part about how my ITV4 tuners were unavailable for more than 60 seconds after waking my PC... but my HDHRP tuners are available as soon as Windows is. (and Ceton blamed Microsoft for this)

Then, there's the part about how the ITV4 tuners hung every couple of weeks... but my HDHRP tuners can run for 6 months without issue. Yes, I have to power-cycle my HDHRP tuners every 6 months... but that's comparable to the DVR that I had from the cable company.

xnappo

Post by xnappo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:45 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
adam1991 wrote:
No, my InfiniTV4 didn't throw errors "all the time", but it was much more frequent than what I see with the HDHRP's. Also, channel changing was much faster with the HDHRP compared to the ITV4.

For example, I got errors telling me that the...

just about every day with the ITV4. Yes, it still recorded the show most of the time (because the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th tuner recorded it). But I've had the HDHRP tuners for more than a year now... and I only see these messages once every week or two now.

And... my HDHRP tuners never miss a show unless the guide data is wrong.
This was certainly true at the time you switched, however the ITV4 is very stable now. Don't get me wrong - it took WAAAYYY too long to get there, but it is stable now. I haven't had any such errors in the last six months.

xnappo

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:57 pm

xnappo wrote:This was certainly true at the time you switched, however the ITV4 is very stable now. Don't get me wrong - it took WAAAYYY too long to get there, but it is stable now. I haven't had any such errors in the last six months.

xnappo
If that's true, then I'm happy for the ITV4 users. But who would be happy about waiting more than a year for a product to work as advertised? I waited that long for the ITV4 to do what it was supposed to do, before I bought a competing product. The competing product did exactly what it was supposed to do.

I sure wasn't happy about the poor performance of the Echo after several months, so I returned it. Now, Ceton has finally released competition for the HDHRP... and it doesn't perform as well as the competition.

Sorry, but I just don't understand how people can support a company who was the first to release a new product, but didn't compare to the (later released) competing products.

I paid a huge price premium to get an InfiniTV4 as soon as possible. Then, for less than half the price, I got a product that outperformed it in every way except the number of tuners (4 vs. 3).

Then, after Ceton's inflated promises regarding the Echo, I got in on the Echo beta. I paid almost as much for the Echo as two of my other extenders cost me. And the Echo didn't compare to one of them. It's been NINE MONTHS since then... and the Echo still doesn't compare. They keep delivering empty promises.

You know the old expression... "money talks, and BS walks". Well, so far, Ceton isn't walking the talk. All they seem to deliver is BS. I'd love to see the Echo live up to the hype... but it hasn't so far.

And we've been waiting for a LONG time.

Now, quite a few users are reporting that the ETH doesn't meet expectations either.

I'm under-impressed with Ceton, to say the least.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Oh, and I have to add...

I like the Ceton "My Media Center" app... but what happened to streaming video? How many months/years ago was that promise issued?

Eventually, we (reasonable people) stop believing the empty promises.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:26 am

barnabas1969 wrote: For example, I got errors telling me that the...

once every week or two on the cable system that you had a whole team out to fix?

You're in a small minority, then - most of us don't have your problems.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:23 pm

foxwood wrote: once every week or two on the cable system that you had a whole team out to fix?
Yep, but even before they came out, the HDHRP gave me far fewer errors and problems than the ITV4 did.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:02 pm

Again, I feel the need to balance the books. There are many of us (including myself) that do not have problems with the infiniTV (I own the ITV4PCI, so cannot talk directly about the ITV6USB).

To highlight why I am saying this is because it seems that any poster with a Ceton problem here, receives a reply from barnabas to say he had problems with Ceton too and the poster should move to a HDHRP.

It has often been noted that most of these problems have been usually attributed to another factor and not the Ceton product, which incidentally, an external factor was one of the major root causes of barnabas' ITV4 problems.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123