Copy Protection error after BIOS battery change!

Skybolt

HTPC Specs: Show details

Copy Protection error after BIOS battery change!

Post by Skybolt » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:29 am

I restarted my HTPC today and had to pull the bios battery to get it to reboot, replaced the dead battery and rebooted.
Life should be good. Right?

Go to play a copy protected, recorded show and I get CP errors and nothing will play!
I tried restore points, defaulting the bios, changign the bios. Nothing helps.
No hardware has been replaced or changed. I don't get it???

Any ideas on what I can do at this point?
Thanks
Skybolt

drtdiver

Post by drtdiver » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:39 pm

Did you make sure the date and time in the BIOS are correct? Also inside windows?

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Not at first, then on hte next boot I did. I orginaly had the time behind by 12hrs. then when I saw the guide being wrong, I rebooted and corrected. But it did have ~15min in windows before I corected it.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:08 pm

I suspect that your restore points and stuff may have caused the problem. If possible, restore back to the current date.

Also, can you make a new recording of a copy-protected show? Can you play it?

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:27 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I suspect that your restore points and stuff may have caused the problem. If possible, restore back to the current date.
You would think by the way I posted the info, but I did the system restore thing as a last resort. After the time was set right. I am thinking when I booted into whindoes and hte time was so off (12hrs behind) it hosed my DRM/PlayReady files. I would thnk you could do such a thing without hardware being changed, and none was.
Also, can you make a new recording of a copy-protected show? Can you play it?
Good question, I can watch the CP channels without any trouble, but haven't tried recording one. I will give that a try when I get home tonight.

Skybolt

Post by Skybolt » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:31 am

Well I can't believe it, but I got it working again. I updated the bios time with what was on my laptop, and then update windows over the inet. rebooted and it worked again. The two times were not off by more the 2 minutes at best.

It's such a love hate relationship with MCE! When you don't touch anything for months and it all just works, it's great. But man can it go south real quick.