Streaming Live TV via a browser?

foxwood

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by foxwood » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:12 pm

That's the one aspect of RemoteCeton I'd have to know for sure before even trying it - I have a working WMC setup, and I'm not going to reconfigure my Tuners to test it.

Watching live TV is a very, very low priority in our house anyway, so I'd really only be testing this for kicks.

foldog22

Post by foldog22 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:31 pm

foxwood wrote:That's the one aspect of RemoteCeton I'd have to know for sure before even trying it - I have a working WMC setup, and I'm not going to reconfigure my Tuners to test it.

Watching live TV is a very, very low priority in our house anyway, so I'd really only be testing this for kicks.
Well if there is anything specific you would like me to try I can do so. Just let me know what test you want me to run. But anyway, the OP was asking about Streaming Live tv to a browser and this does exactly that.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:23 pm

If you can verify that WMC can use all 4 of your Ceton tuners (record 4 programs at the same time), and then verify that Remote Ceton can also access the same tuners (obviously after you have stopped the WMC recordings). In your case, you would probably have to disconnect your HDHomeRun Prime to make sure that you weren't grabbing some of it's tuners.

I know that Live TV is what makes this useful to people - but it's less useful if you have to permanently assign one Tuner to RemoteCeton, and only have 3 available for WMC. I'd consider checking it out, especially if VLC can transcode the streams to a format that'd be more friendly for access from an Android Tablet, but not if it involves any tweaking or resetting of my WMC configurtation.

foldog22

Post by foldog22 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:51 pm

foxwood wrote:If you can verify that WMC can use all 4 of your Ceton tuners (record 4 programs at the same time), and then verify that Remote Ceton can also access the same tuners (obviously after you have stopped the WMC recordings). In your case, you would probably have to disconnect your HDHomeRun Prime to make sure that you weren't grabbing some of it's tuners.
I will test it out later tonight. If you wish, you can Team Viewer in and watch / help me test in my machine
foxwood wrote: I know that Live TV is what makes this useful to people - but it's less useful if you have to permanently assign one Tuner to RemoteCeton, and only have 3 available for WMC. I'd consider checking it out, especially if VLC can transcode the streams to a format that'd be more friendly for access from an Android Tablet, but not if it involves any tweaking or resetting of my WMC configurtation.
Vlc can transcode into flash but my experience has shown direct stream in native resolution works best on android using a player like MX.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:33 pm

foldog22 wrote:I will test it out later tonight. If you wish, you can Team Viewer in and watch / help me test in my machine
Thanks, but I don't think I'll have time to do that.
foxwood wrote: I know that Live TV is what makes this useful to people - but it's less useful if you have to permanently assign one Tuner to RemoteCeton, and only have 3 available for WMC. I'd consider checking it out, especially if VLC can transcode the streams to a format that'd be more friendly for access from an Android Tablet, but not if it involves any tweaking or resetting of my WMC configurtation.
Vlc can transcode into flash but my experience has shown direct stream in native resolution works best on android using a player like MX.[/quote]
I've streamed WTV files in MXPLayer (anything based on ffmpeg in the last couple of years should be able to handle WTV) but the results were so-so. I didn't spend too much time on it, though, because there aren't many occassions when it's more convenient to watch TV on my Tablet rather than on the TV.

As I said, my interest in this soution is somewhat academic, but hopefully more people will have a look at it after our conversation - I know that I missed your original reference, and I'm really surprised that I haven't seen reference to this tool before.

foldog22

Post by foldog22 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:59 pm

foxwood wrote: As I said, my interest in this soution is somewhat academic, but hopefully more people will have a look at it after our conversation - I know that I missed your original reference, and I'm really surprised that I haven't seen reference to this tool before.
Yeah, for what ever reason the tool really doesn't have a big following. I am not exactly sure how I even stumbled upon it. But it serves its purpose well.

foldog22

Post by foldog22 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:55 am

@Foxwood,

I did some testing. It appears as though Remote Ceton is aware of tuners in use as shown in the below screenshot. The first tuner was being used by RemoteCeton, the next two were being used by WMC

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:14 am

Thanks for looking in to that further. The next time someone asks about a Sports Bar setup, I'll tell them to check this out!