Streaming Live TV via a browser?

pduncan1963

HTPC Specs: Show details

Streaming Live TV via a browser?

Post by pduncan1963 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:52 am

Has anyone had Success finding a software solution for remote streaming live tv from Media Center to a web browser. I've heard Orb does, but they are shutting down soon. I use remote potato for recorded, but it does not do live. Would rather go software than buy a slingbox but that seems to be the only viable option.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:47 am

It's very simple to use the HD Homerun Prime's DLNA feature to stream live TV to pretty much anything you want (with the right client), but the interface is horrible on pretty much everything because you can't directly 'tune' a stream (i.e. channel), have to scroll through a huge list to stream a channel. Not browser-based unless you use something else in the middle (VLC plugin, Twonky Beam, etc.), and more importantly for your situation, it's independent of WMC so no guide.

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:31 am

slowbiscuit wrote:It's very simple to use the HD Homerun Prime's DLNA feature to stream live TV to pretty much anything you want (with the right client), but the interface is horrible on pretty much everything because you can't directly 'tune' a stream (i.e. channel), have to scroll through a huge list to stream a channel. Not browser-based unless you use something else in the middle (VLC plugin, Twonky Beam, etc.), and more importantly for your situation, it's independent of WMC so no guide.
I'm currently using an Infinitv 4. I'm looking for a solution like Remote Potato but will stream live tv in addition to reordered.

I just noticed the following post on the Ceton Echo board:
lithium630 wrote:They already said they have no plans to sell extender software. At the same time live tv streaming is supposed to be on the roadmap for the My Media Center App. That would make it pretty close.

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:57 am

have a look at DVBLogic software.

mmoore5553

Post by mmoore5553 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:33 pm

.Nico

could you be more specific. As i want to buy dvblogic software and stream to raspberry pi and live tv on pi. Do you know if that works and what options i have to buy from dvblogic and also for the pi ?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:33 pm

mmoore5553 wrote:could you be more specific. As i want to buy dvblogic software and stream to raspberry pi and live tv on pi. Do you know if that works and what options i have to buy from dvblogic and also for the pi ?
I haven't used the DVBLink software myself, so this is just a very rough description. The DVBLink Server basically looks like a Universal TV Tuner to Windows Media Center. You can use different DVBLink modules to add Satellite or TV tuners, or IPTV services or some streaming sources to the DVBLink server, and it presents them to WMC in a format that WMC understands, and provides a guide that WMC can use. But because WMC isn't controlling the TV Tuner directly, it doesn't have exclusive access to it. the DVBLink Server software can also make all that content available to other clients as well, including and XBMC client, and that XBMC client work on RaspBMC.

Here's a post from almost a year ago about getting it working, but you'd probably be a lot better off looking in the DVBLink forums for more up to date information:
http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index. ... -extender/

http://forum.dvblogic.com/

foldog22

Post by foldog22 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:24 pm

I have been using this to accomplish the task for about a year now. Works pretty well and you can access for anywhere you have an internet connection. It helps that my Fiber Optic provider doesn't encrypt any channels.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=119865

.Nico

Post by .Nico » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:28 am

mmoore5553 wrote:.Nico

could you be more specific. As i want to buy dvblogic software and stream to raspberry pi and live tv on pi. Do you know if that works and what options i have to buy from dvblogic and also for the pi ?
1. Install and configure DVBLogic Server for the platform your tuners are installed, ie. WHS, NAS, from http://dvblogic.com/en
2. Purchase the DVBLink TVSource for your tuners, download via the DVBLink Server interface.
3. Boot your Raspberry PI with RaspXBMC, http://www.raspbmc.com/wiki/user/windows-installation/
4. Install the DVBLink PVR-Addon for Raspberry PI via zip-file, http://www.dvblogic.com/download/xbmc_p ... ux-rpi.zip
5. Enable Television in XBMC en configure the PVR-add-on to point to your DVBLink Server

should about look like this:

.Nico

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:24 pm

Remote Media Center Android app has a $6 add on that will do live TV through Remote Potato on phones and tablets. I haven't tried it to know how well it works. I'm on TWC and they "copy once" all programming except for locals with CCI flag. I can't even watch copy once recorded TV with Remote Media Center. I didn't want to take the chance and waste $6 if I didn't have positive confirmation that the MSO would allow live TV over 3rd party app. You will likely be able to get it to work with regular OTA TV.

TWC on the otherhand does have their own native app for Android called TWC TV. It plays all of your channels (including On-demand) that you are subscribed to if you are on your own network at home (I assume you can VPN to it and get it this way remotely as well - I haven't tried). It allows some channels and On-Demand to work if you're on a guest network away from home. It doesn't work at all over 4G/3G. The TWC web client works on a remote PC after you log-in to your account. It then determines what channels you can get based on the IP address from the log in point. If you're at home you get all of your channels (except locals and ones you're not subscribed to). If you're away from home you only get what they have contracted that is allowable (which isn't much I don't think).

Someone above may have mentioned it is on the roadmap for Ceton in their My Ceton Companion software -- but isn't available yet.

foldog22

Post by foldog22 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:11 pm

EZEd wrote:Remote Media Center Android app has a $6 add on that will do live TV through Remote Potato on phones and tablets. I haven't tried it to know how well it works. I'm on TWC and they "copy once" all programming except for locals with CCI flag. I can't even watch copy once recorded TV with Remote Media Center. I didn't want to take the chance and waste $6 if I didn't have positive confirmation that the MSO would allow live TV over 3rd party app. You will likely be able to get it to work with regular OTA TV.

TWC on the otherhand does have their own native app for Android called TWC TV. It plays all of your channels (including On-demand) that you are subscribed to if you are on your own network at home (I assume you can VPN to it and get it this way remotely as well - I haven't tried). It allows some channels and On-Demand to work if you're on a guest network away from home. It doesn't work at all over 4G/3G. The TWC web client works on a remote PC after you log-in to your account. It then determines what channels you can get based on the IP address from the log in point. If you're at home you get all of your channels (except locals and ones you're not subscribed to). If you're away from home you only get what they have contracted that is allowable (which isn't much I don't think).

Someone above may have mentioned it is on the roadmap for Ceton in their My Ceton Companion software -- but isn't available yet.
Have you tried Remote Ceton? I linked to it a few post ago. It works extremely well for me.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:34 pm

foldog22 wrote: Have you tried Remote Ceton? I linked to it a few post ago. It works extremely well for me.
Haven't tried the Ceton app yet. I didn't know if they had implemented live TV or not. I knew they were planning to do so inside of MyMediaCenter.

foldog22

Post by foldog22 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:59 pm

EZEd wrote:
foldog22 wrote: Have you tried Remote Ceton? I linked to it a few post ago. It works extremely well for me.
Haven't tried the Ceton app yet. I didn't know if they had implemented live TV or not. I knew they were planning to do so inside of MyMediaCenter.
It really isn't a "Ceton App". The program is called Remote Ceton but it isn't affiliated with Cetoncorp. Originally it was an add-on for XBMC but is now a standalone web server with built in Guide and live streaming via either Flash or VLC. Just set up your router for port forwards and you can watch live tv from anywhere. Either in the browser or via MX Player on Android.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:34 pm

foldog22 wrote: It really isn't a "Ceton App". The program is called Remote Ceton but it isn't affiliated with Cetoncorp. Originally it was an add-on for XBMC but is now a standalone web server with built in Guide and live streaming via either Flash or VLC. Just set up your router for port forwards and you can watch live tv from anywhere. Either in the browser or via MX Player on Android.
Okay, I'll have to check it out. Hopefully it won't require loading of XBMC to work. Other thing that has me tentative right now is TWCs gestopo tactics of CCI flagging everything copy-once. It makes watching recorded TV on Remote Media Center useless. If this app can't get around copy once rules then watching live won't work either likely. If this does get around copy-once flag then there ought to be a way to port it to PC and then use the same method to view copy-once between PCs on the same network.

foldog22

Post by foldog22 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:57 pm

EZEd wrote:
foldog22 wrote: It really isn't a "Ceton App". The program is called Remote Ceton but it isn't affiliated with Cetoncorp. Originally it was an add-on for XBMC but is now a standalone web server with built in Guide and live streaming via either Flash or VLC. Just set up your router for port forwards and you can watch live tv from anywhere. Either in the browser or via MX Player on Android.
Okay, I'll have to check it out. Hopefully it won't require loading of XBMC to work. Other thing that has me tentative right now is TWCs gestopo tactics of CCI flagging everything copy-once. It makes watching recorded TV on Remote Media Center useless. If this app can't get around copy once rules then watching live won't work either likely. If this does get around copy-once flag then there ought to be a way to port it to PC and then use the same method to view copy-once between PCs on the same network.
Let me know if it works for you. I am not sure if you can record TV with it. I don't use XBMC at all, it isn't even installed. I know there is a PVR plug-in for XBMC but I don't use it. I only use this application for watching Live TV.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:32 pm

Interesting. I knew that you could do this (make the Ceton streams available to VLC) if the InfiniTV was installed in a Linux box, but I didn't realize that someone had written an application to do this under Windows.

I've only read about 10 of the 118 pages of comments on the thread that you linked to, so I didn't see a clear answer on this, but do you have to assign Tuners for use by RemoteCeton, or can WMC use all 4 tuners when needed, and RemoteCeton can access them when WMC isn't using them?

People occassionally ask about a "Sports Bar" setup, where they could display multiple games on screen at the same time. It sounds like multiple instances of RemoteCeton can run at the same time, so that you can have multiple VLC windows open at once, each playing the stream from a different tuner. (Of course, it only works if the stream isn't protected, so no good for TWC users, and you only want one audio from one VLC instance at a time).

foldog22

Post by foldog22 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:36 pm

foxwood wrote:Interesting. I knew that you could do this (make the Ceton streams available to VLC) if the InfiniTV was installed in a Linux box, but I didn't realize that someone had written an application to do this under Windows.

I've only read about 10 of the 118 pages of comments on the thread that you linked to, so I didn't see a clear answer on this, but do you have to assign Tuners for use by RemoteCeton, or can WMC use all 4 tuners when needed, and RemoteCeton can access them when WMC isn't using them?
It uses tuner pooling I believe. So it looks for the first available tuner not locked by something else. Of note, I am using this with both my Ceton InfinitTV4 and HDHR Prime.
Last edited by foldog22 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:39 pm

EZEd wrote:Other thing that has me tentative right now is TWCs gestopo tactics of CCI flagging everything copy-once. It makes watching recorded TV on Remote Media Center useless. If this app can't get around copy once rules then watching live won't work either likely. If this does get around copy-once flag then there ought to be a way to port it to PC and then use the same method to view copy-once between PCs on the same network.
There is no "getting around" CCI flagging*. The only way that you'll get to do any remote viewing with TWC content is if someobody (Ceton being the only likely candidate) creates a PlayReady Server/Client.

*You might be able to use the Hauppauge Colossus to capture and record the output of a TWC STB, though that seems like a very 20th century approach.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:41 pm

foldog22 wrote:It uses tuner pooling I believe. So it looks for the first available tuner not locked by something else. Of note, I am using this with both my Ceton InfinitTV4 and HDHR Prime.
I didn't think the Ceton InfinitTV4 did Tuner Pooling - I thought you had to assign tuners to specific machines if you wanted to "share" them?

foldog22

Post by foldog22 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:41 pm

foxwood wrote: People occassionally ask about a "Sports Bar" setup, where they could display multiple games on screen at the same time. It sounds like multiple instances of RemoteCeton can run at the same time, so that you can have multiple VLC windows open at once, each playing the stream from a different tuner. (Of course, it only works if the stream isn't protected, so no good for TWC users, and you only want one audio from one VLC instance at a time).
You only need one instances of RemoteCeton. You can then launch multiple instances of VLC or multiple browsers up to the number of tuners you have. I have 7, so I could have 7 streams going at once.

foldog22

Post by foldog22 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:46 pm

foxwood wrote:I didn't think the Ceton InfinitTV4 did Tuner Pooling - I thought you had to assign tuners to specific machines if you wanted to "share" them?
You might be right about that. I am not a very heavy Media Center user but use RemoteCeton often. I have never come across any conflicts, although I am not sure I have ever ran both Media Center and RemoteCeton at the same time. Within the RemoteCeton setup you can define which tuners are available to it, I leave all of them selected.