Volume issue with Recorded TV

Proost

HTPC Specs: Show details

Volume issue with Recorded TV

Post by Proost » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Hello all-

I have an HTPC running WMC7 and everything works well except the volume on recorded TV files. The volume is very loud and adjusting the volume in MC has no affect. I have to adjust the volume on the TV to get it down to watchable levels. I have a second machine running WMC7 that can play the same files just fine across the network.

Any ideas on how to remedy this?

Thank you!

Proost

Post by Proost » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:32 pm

**SOLVED** - Thanks to Shackleford on another post, I switched on the auto volume setting and all is well. Now, I am not sure why I need to switch it on for one machine and not the other two. But, at least I am not going deaf when i switch over to recorded TV.

Thank you!

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:43 pm

The fact that you couldn't adjust the volume in WMC indicates that your system is set up to bitstream Dolby Digital to your TV. Enabling auto volume disables bitstreaming and switches the audio output to standard 2-channel PCM. Since that seems to have resolved the issue, there are two possible reasons why bitstreaming results in a higher volume level:

1. Windows volume settings are set too low. This causes you to turn up the volume on the TV to compensate, so when you play recorded TV the volume is very loud.
2. Your TV doesn't output the same volume level for Dolby Digital and PCM sources. This could be due to a flaw in the TV, or it could be by design (two independent volume adjustments, though I don't know why any TV manufacturer would implement such a feature).