Display Driver Issue

davidbecht01

HTPC Specs: Show details

Display Driver Issue

Post by davidbecht01 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:29 pm

I have a W7 Media Center Machine. When I try to play live TV I receive a message that I have a Display Driver Issue. If I then resize the screen the live tv then works. I can then maximize and everything is fine. Interestingly enough, this doesn't happen when I play recorded TV. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks...

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:39 pm

What display card do you have, how is the screeen connected (VGA, DVI, HDMI), what type of Tuner do you have?

(I have no idea what the problem is, but you're more likely to get a useful answer if you provide some useful information about your setup).

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:17 am

^ what he said...

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express.

RyC

Post by RyC » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:29 am

I get this exact problem on windows 8 connected to a DVI monitor that is almost certainly not HDCP compatible. I don't have a solution unfortunately, I just put up with it.

davidbecht01

Post by davidbecht01 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:29 pm

I have an HP All in one PC. The monitor is built in to the machine. I am running Windows 7. The tuner I am using is Ceton's Infinitv connected through network tuners.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Do you get this problem every time you try to watch Live TV, or only occassionally?

What's the exact text of the error message you get? (Take a photo of it the next time it pops up and post that - sometimes the context can help).

My first thought was that it was some sort of HDMI handshake issue, but that doesn't seem likely in your case. Some people have reports some odd interations with the sounds that WMC makes when you're navigation the menus and Display errors - you could disable the sounds and see if that makes a difference:
Tasks/Settings/General/Visual and Sound Effects
uncheck "Play sounds when navigating Windows Media Center"

MediaKing

Post by MediaKing » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:53 pm

I have the same issue - it reoccurs every time I stop watching live TV /close MCE. I've been running the DCA to fix it (It is resolved 100% of the time when i click 'change system settings'), and thanks to this thread, realize I can resize/maximize the MCE window to resolve - big help, thanks!!!

My setup:
Win 8
AMD Radeon HD 6900
3x NEC MultiSync EX201W monitors - 2x HDMI, 1x Displayport > HDMI adapter
Tuner: Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime

I suspect MSFT is not investing in MCE moving forward - any idea if this issue is on their radar? I upgraded to the latest AMD drivers after this issue started showing up - any other ideas? pretty annoying..

thanks!

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:24 pm

MediaKing wrote:I suspect MSFT is not investing in MCE moving forward - any idea if this issue is on their radar?
There's no suspicion about it - there are no Media Center developers at Microsoft any more, and there won't be any fixes coming out. Media Center is what it is, and you'll have to live with any bugs/quirks/annoyances/shortcomings, or find acceptable workarounds, because Microsoft won't be issuing any fixes.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:28 pm

MediaKing wrote:I have the same issue - it reoccurs every time I stop watching live TV /close MCE. I've been running the DCA to fix it (It is resolved 100% of the time when i click 'change system settings'), and thanks to this thread, realize I can resize/maximize the MCE window to resolve - big help, thanks!!!

My setup:
Win 8
AMD Radeon HD 6900
3x NEC MultiSync EX201W monitors - 2x HDMI, 1x Displayport > HDMI adapter
Tuner: Silicon Dust HD Homerun Prime
Do you get the same error when you only have 1 HDMI display connected?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:01 pm

davidbecht01 wrote:I have an HP All in one PC. The monitor is built in to the machine. I am running Windows 7. The tuner I am using is Ceton's Infinitv connected through network tuners.
Does this only happen with copy-protected content? If so, are you using the built in monitor as your primary display device? If so, how does the monitor connect to the motherboard, and is the chain HDCP compliant? CableLabs recently updated the OCUR specification to allow the use of HDCP on any digital display output, but unfortunately Microsoft has not updated WMC to incorporate the CableLabs change. Under the old specification, the only acceptable digital connection was HDMI or DVI, so if your chain utilizes DisplayPort or some other connection technology, it may not comply with the old specification, thus you're out of luck until Microsoft updates WMC.

Tester

Post by Tester » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:21 pm

David,
What you are seeing is a classic HDCP media center issue (digital content nonsense protection). If you goggle you will see that many of us has had this issue but without a clear and final resolution. I therefore took it upon myself to figuring out the root cause and the fix.

I'll spare you all the details, but I will share my final solution that works %100 of the time. Not only did this solution fix the said issue, but resolved all HDMI handshaking, EDID, resolution and sleep/wake issues I have experienced over the last few years.

I used Microsoft's devcon to reset the video card upon wake. I wrote a small batch file which resets the video card ( nvidia gtx 460 ) after 5 seconds and then tied the batch to the wake function using the event viewer. Each time the pc wakes, it resets the video card connection resolving all issues. Since I implimented this fix months ago, I have yet to see a single issue when I was noticing issues once every 5 wakes or so.

Good luck and let me know if you need further details.
Tester