Would PlayOn affect WMC?

rhendrix9

HTPC Specs: Show details

Would PlayOn affect WMC?

Post by rhendrix9 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:45 pm

I have a i3 Windows 7 PC used solely as an HTPC. Would PlayOn run on the same PC and not interfere with regular operations. I only use it to record and playback TV using a Ceton tuner.

I was just curious as to weather or not it could run on the same PC withon "bogging" it down.

Anyone with experience running playon?

Thanks

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:56 pm

I have been running PlayOn for quite a while without any issues on an old i3. I have 8 gig of ram now but it ran fine with 4.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:21 pm

I used to run PlayOn. It should work fine on your system. The only thing I will say is that Netflix would change something periodically that would cause PlayOn to be unable to play movies from Netflix. It always required an update of PlayOn to fix it, and the updates usually take a few days after the problem begins.

It was a less-than-ideal setup with PlayOn, so I chose to simply buy BluRay players for all the TV's in the house. Now, they all can access Netflix via the BluRay player that is attached to the TV.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:32 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I used to run PlayOn. It should work fine on your system. The only thing I will say is that Netflix would change something periodically that would cause PlayOn to be unable to play movies from Netflix. It always required an update of PlayOn to fix it, and the updates usually take a few days after the problem begins.

It was a less-than-ideal setup with PlayOn, so I chose to simply buy BluRay players for all the TV's in the house. Now, they all can access Netflix via the BluRay player that is attached to the TV.
Yeah Playon is not great. I have been hoping for better quality transcoding for a while but updates have really slowed down. I only use it once in a while for Hulu if Media Center missed a recording.