Is Ceton still Alive?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Sammy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:43 pm

When the RPi plays copy protected CableTV I'll byte but I may just get one to playback everything that the echo doesn't. Do you need to set up samba shares on your Windows based server with it?

vert18

Post by vert18 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:56 pm

Sammy, do you ever actually research your blatantly FALSE statements?

Raspberry Pi can play copy protected live TV through XBMC and DNLA

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:07 pm

Play okay.

But what about pause and play, rewind and fast forward for Copy Protected Content? Is there an EPG Copy Protected Content too? Can you record this content as well?

If it does then I missed the thread for it as it most assuredly would show up on avsforum..

xnappo

Post by xnappo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:12 pm

vert18 wrote:Sammy, do you ever actually research your blatantly FALSE statements?

Huh? Sammy is referring to CCI protected TV content.

xnappo

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:26 pm

vert18 wrote:Sammy, do you ever actually research your blatantly FALSE statements?

Protected Content? Someone has added DTCP-IP support to XBMC?

And nobody bothered to mention it? I find that hard to believe!

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:51 pm

Diverge wrote:
shortcut3d wrote:Correct. Extenders use a special RDP session that allows the video to be played / rendered directly on the Extender and not by the PC. I'm not sure if the RDP session is responsible for enforcing HDCP compliance allowing for Playready DRM playback. If it is then Win8 support may be limited to copy-freely content. I don't have Win8 so I don't know where the Echo fails. This is all speculation.
That's false. Win 8 works fine w/ copy-once content w/ the echo. The problem was there is no menu overlays, ect, to see what you're doing, but once TV was playing it played fine in most cases (just the usual echo quirks).
This is correct which is why you can use the My Media Center mobile applications to control your current echo and start playback if you are connected to Windows 8.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

reggie14

Post by reggie14 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:55 pm

Awfully strong words...

I'm with xnappo and foxwood on this one. You must be mistaken- XBMC can't play back recorded or live TV with PlayReady copy-protection.

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:56 pm

allensbad wrote:Ceton should man up and take back the echo's of those who don't want to wait for Android.
I bought a WMC Extender, If I wanted an Android device that’s what I would have bought.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 472#p52472
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:16 pm

But when? We are getting restless.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:34 pm

Sammy is correct. XBMC does not support copy-protected content.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Now to just get the echo to smoothly playback everything else!

Soon, I hope?!?

dabretty

Post by dabretty » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:10 am

Am I the only one that finds it odd that Ceton provides practically no status updates of substance (via their blog or wherever else), but yet they show up to this party to comment on XBMC and various other off-topic postings? If there was a firmware update in the last quarter of a year then maybe I wouldn't think anything of it.

Oh well, I guess I should just be happy that they still have a pulse.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:42 am

Just because the company has made a clear decision not to discuss their own progress until they are ready for a release doesn't mean their employees shouldn't participate on other threads.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:26 am

foxwood wrote:Just because the company has made a clear decision not to discuss their own progress until they are ready for a release doesn't mean their employees shouldn't participate on other threads.
And they are doing so not as Ceton employees, just users/enthusiasts like us. People need to remember that.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:11 am

staknhalo wrote:
foxwood wrote:Just because the company has made a clear decision not to discuss their own progress until they are ready for a release doesn't mean their employees shouldn't participate on other threads.
And they are doing so not as Ceton employees, just users/enthusiasts like us. People need to remember that.
If they want to be thought of/treated as "just users" then shouldn't the create accounts on here that don't display that Ceton badge next to their name? If we're expected to make the distinction, shouldn't they?

Just a thought.

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:29 am

The badges in general were created by TGB team long ago as official indicators such as the "verified" status in twitter. This gives new users and anyone else browsing a quick glance to see the status of any user. We are still TGB users and enthusiasts who post in all sorts of threads. I monitor and check the forums at all times of the day as many people will tell you. While we may help with questions and participate in discussion it is because we know the products well and if we are able to we will divulge additional information.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

vert18

Post by vert18 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:34 am

that's funny, really, as in:
Eden XBMC plays live TV on all channels on my TV (hbo, show time and whatever else i have)

and FRODO the beta one plays it as well

regular release FRODO had a problem with it

runs through upnp DNLA through my SD prime(which i have two of)

ill take a video if you don't believe me

it however does not have a guide listing

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:55 am

Motz wrote:The badges in general were created by TGB team long ago as official indicators such as the "verified" status in twitter. This gives new users and anyone else browsing a quick glance to see the status of any user. We are still TGB users and enthusiasts who post in all sorts of threads. I monitor and check the forums at all times of the day as many people will tell you. While we may help with questions and participate in discussion it is because we know the products well and if we are able to we will divulge additional information.
I'm aware of all that. And I don't have an issue with anyone from Ceton posting in a "non official" capacity.

But if people want the distinction made, separate accounts are the easiest and most obvious solution.

If I walk into a Best Buy and see some guy wearing khakis, and a blue polo with a Best Buy logo on it, I'm going to assume that guy not only is a Best Buy employee, but also that he's working right now. The same can be said, when a Ceton employee is posting on the Ceton boards (you can split hairs all you want about whether this is technically Ceton's board or not just like we can split hairs about whether the Magnolia Room is technically part of Best Buy, but regardless of the technicalities, the perception is unquestionably there, and will continua as long as Ceton get's their own section, and Ceton employees get their own badges) with a Ceton badge next to his name. If the Best Buy guy wants to hang out after work, that's fine, but if he still has his work clothes on, everyone that encounters him will assume he's working. The simple solution is to change clothes.

If you don't want to make separate accounts, I don't give a rip, but if you expect people to ignore the badge next to your name when you participate in a discussion, you're ****ing crazy. It won't happen. I was simply trying to provide a solution to an issue that was brought up that requires no cost and less effort than putting on a different shirt. If that's too much effort for you, then perhaps you should just deal with the fact that people are going to assume you're always posting in an official capacity.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:13 am

What solution to what issue? These guys work for Ceton. The company has clearly stated that they will not release any information about any Echo updates until they are ready with a formal announcement. How does that preclude them from from participating in other threads?

If you have a problem with that, deal with it. It's your problem, not theirs.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:24 am

Oh my god my head hurts...