HD VIDEO & XBOX used as EXTENDER

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
denny5757

HTPC Specs: Show details

HD VIDEO & XBOX used as EXTENDER

Post by denny5757 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:15 pm

Hi new to this ,so bear with me !!! I do a lot of home video in High Def. and have quite a bit of standard def stuff also that I stream from my PC thru the XBOX to my TV.The problem I have is the picture keeps freezing and locking up almost all the time when I stream High Def. And sometimes with the standard def. MY home network is all hard wired with CAT 6 & 5 CBL.Windows 7 on the PC and a Netgear PRO-SAFE GIGABIT 8 port switch.so I think I'm covered on the speed for the data transfer but I may be wrong,So if anyone can give me a idea as to how I can solve this problem that would be great.the CBL. runs are not long either 30 feet at the most.I'm so close to haveing this work I can taste it,I just need to stop all the freezing and locking up...Thasnks for any sugestions or help I'll try anthing!!!!!!!!! DENNY

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:34 pm

What format is the video? Also the Xbox cannot handle gigabit so you may need to play with some settings in your network card like Flow Control.

denny5757

Post by denny5757 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:58 pm

I'v tried every format that I have,And I'm lost when you say the XBOX can't handle the gigabit switch I have ,before I bought the gigabit switch I had the same problem with the ATT modem/switch ,I was advised to get the gigabit ..I know a little bit about that stuff probably enough to get me in trouble....any other ideas ,I'll try anything...PS thanks for the responce....DENNY . ps formats i used= mpeg 2 1080 i,AVCHD,mpeg 4 & various versions of those and others...Everthing POWER DIRECTOR 9 ULTRA has to convert the video to a file.thats the program I use to do all my Videos sometimes I use STUDIO 12 not often it's not very good with High Def. its very slow...I no nothing about FLOW CONTROL !!!!!

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:46 pm

Do you have TV tuners? If so how does it do with recorded tv? That could rule out any conversion problems. The Xbox 360 is 10/100. If the PC is sending more than the xbox can handle it can cause problems. Open your nic properties and try enabling the flow control. I'm sure others here know much more about other the various settings. It's also possible a better switch will help. I have far less "network errors" since I bought the HP procurve 1410.

cw-kid

Post by cw-kid » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:58 pm

I would also suggest you try turning on the flow control setting on your Windows Media Center Network card settings. If your switch supports it you might also want to enable jumbo frames as well. I also have a HP Pro Curve 1410-8G. I can stream HD MKV movies to the XBOX 360 extender OK so it should be able to handle HD. Have you tested all the network cables?

What network port / card is on the Media Center PC? Ensure you have the latest drivers installed from the manufacturer.
Stuart

The Media Center Blog Tips Tricks & News!
The Digital Lifestyle

denny5757

Post by denny5757 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:44 pm

Let me check into all these things I'll get back to you .....No TV tuners involved