Reimbursement for Pay-per-View Event?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
shortcut3d

HTPC Specs: Show details

Reimbursement for Pay-per-View Event?

Post by shortcut3d » Sun May 26, 2013 4:06 am

Well, that's about it for the Echo from a WAF stand point. :x

We were watching UFC 160 on Pay-Per-View and received Weak TV Signal. Then restarted the Echo repeatedly to no picture or no audio on the PPV channel.

We missed the title fight!!!

Ceton support closed my ticket on this issue because they could not identify anything wrong in Ceton Diagnostic Utility or Echo Diagnostics. I am amazingly disappointed in Ceton support and the constant fallback on an HTPC issue. In fact, I've removed all applications, cleaned the registry, folder structure, etc. to basically a default WMC installation, which did fix the crashing issue. Yet Ceton remains quite on an absolutely unreliable product that is stuck in a beta state.

Anyone from Ceton going to offer me a refund for 54.95?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun May 26, 2013 4:25 am

what is your claim here?

Are you claiming that some fault in the Echo caused you to miss your PPV program?

That can't be. The Echo has nothing to do with tuning TV. The "Weak TV Signal" notice came directly from your HTPC and the tuning system. WORST case, the issue was with your tuner. What tuner are you using?

Of course, the problem could also be that indeed, your cable company delivered a signal too weak for your tuner to tune. Is anyone from your cable company going to offer you a refund?

You should investigate just how a Windows Media Center Extender works, and how MC delivers picture and sound to the extender. I repeat: the extender has *nothing* whatsoever to do with tuning a channel.

And I'm sure Ceton explained this to you.

Why do you think Ceton--specifically the Echo--had anything to do with this?

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Sun May 26, 2013 8:52 am

adam1991 wrote:what is your claim here?

Are you claiming that some fault in the Echo caused you to miss your PPV program?

That can't be. The Echo has nothing to do with tuning TV. The "Weak TV Signal" notice came directly from your HTPC and the tuning system. WORST case, the issue was with your tuner. What tuner are you using?

Of course, the problem could also be that indeed, your cable company delivered a signal too weak for your tuner to tune. Is anyone from your cable company going to offer you a refund?

You should investigate just how a Windows Media Center Extender works, and how MC delivers picture and sound to the extender. I repeat: the extender has *nothing* whatsoever to do with tuning a channel.

And I'm sure Ceton explained this to you.

Why do you think Ceton--specifically the Echo--had anything to do with this?
I'm using an InfiniTV 6 ETH as the tuner. The infiniTV 6 device web page showed a good lock and near perfect signal. There are several reports of Weak TV Signal being erroneously displayed on extenders. It's not always a tuner related issue.

The fact is the Echo could not re-establish audio and video with the TV without multiple reboots. This has happened on recordings, so I know it's not the HTPC or tuner. I can restart the Echo on a recording until the picture and audio are back proving the content was not the issue.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:09 am

Can you point to references of people talking about Weak Signal erroneously being reported by extenders when it's known not to be a weak signal?

What error message does the Echo give when it drops audio/video when you're watching recorded content? Does that too give the same "Weak Signal" error, or is it something else?

Given how extenders work, I can't imagine that they--on their own--would give the standard WMC "Weak Signal" error.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Sun May 26, 2013 1:07 pm

Was the event viewable on the HTPC and not the extender? If that is the case, then yes, it was an extender issue. What you have presented isn't enough to indict the Echo no matter how flawed it has been.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun May 26, 2013 2:19 pm

I had weak signal on my HTPC last night. I'm pretty sure that was an issue with my provider.

miles267

Post by miles267 » Sun May 26, 2013 3:17 pm

How do you watch PPV with a tuner card?

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sun May 26, 2013 4:14 pm

miles267 wrote:How do you watch PPV with a tuner card?
I dunno, maybe switch to that channel in WMC? :D

Seriously, if that would have happened to me I'd have turned on the STB and switched my receiver to that input.

It's one of the reasons I'm still keeping my STB.

STC

Post by STC » Sun May 26, 2013 4:22 pm

+1
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun May 26, 2013 4:59 pm

Can't you folks call your cable provider and request ppv stuff?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:00 pm

STC wrote:
+1
You request that channel from your provider--call them ahead of time and have them activate that event at that time--and then you tune to that channel at the appropriate time.

The head end activates that channel at that time, your cable card recognizes the activation, and your cable card lets the tuner do its thing for that channel.

You don't need a cable company box for this feature.

STC

Post by STC » Sun May 26, 2013 5:17 pm

IFAIAA that only works only if the cable card is paired, for which mine isn't.
I tried before to get a PPV event by calling it in but could not due to not being paired.

-Blew the dust off and fired up the Pace PVR :)

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:43 pm

Some of us have not CableCo STB in our house because they charge for that privilege.

STC

Post by STC » Sun May 26, 2013 6:08 pm

I bought mine a while ago.

vert18

Post by vert18 » Sun May 26, 2013 6:28 pm

someone should buy one of these PPV shows then display it on their WMC tv and at the same time on their Echo....

if their Echo dies in a flaming horrendous crash and their WMC is happily spewing their PPV show.....

it would be a safe bet to blame the echo

oh wait, I know, you folks would bring up that it could be that molecule size of a tear in the cat 6e wire thats not hooked up to the echo but that runs parallel to the alternate universe of earth 5 where superman is a villain & old gregg runs the United States while wearing a purple thong

STC

Post by STC » Sun May 26, 2013 7:08 pm

vert18 wrote:oh wait, I know, you folks would bring up that it could be that molecule size of a tear in the cat 6e wire thats not hooked up to the echo but that runs parallel to the alternate universe of earth 5 where superman is a villain & old gregg runs the United States while wearing a purple thong
So, a comedian eh? :clap:

STC

Post by STC » Sun May 26, 2013 7:11 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Some of us have not CableCo STB in our house because they charge for that privilege.
I also have a TiVo HD.
You could call it 'Selecto-Source' ™

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:05 pm

STC wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:Some of us have not CableCo STB in our house because they charge for that privilege.
I also have a TiVo HD.
You could call it 'Selecto-Source' ™
When did Yoda type for me? *have no CableCo STB..

STC

Post by STC » Sun May 26, 2013 9:39 pm

STB you will.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Sun May 26, 2013 10:06 pm

FWIW, Cable Card or not, I suggest you call for PPV instead of ordering via the CableCo remote.

When you use the remote, it will only activate on the device you are on at the time. If you call ahead of time and order it through the provider, it will be active on all] of your devices. This is especially useful if you're ordering a sports package. I made the mistake a few years ago of ordering the college football package on my remote and was forced to watch every game (that was part of the package) every weekend, on the same TV. Since then, I've ordered via phone.

STC, may I ask why you have a cablecard that isn't paired? I was under the impression that if your CC wasn't paired, you basically didn't have a CC.