Netflix Plug In Help

mdavej

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mdavej » Wed May 22, 2013 7:22 pm

CablefreeMe wrote:I'm ok with 720p. I'm trying to make things easier for the family (and by family I mean my wife) to use. One app, one box, no changing inputs or remotes. She wasn't on board with going cable free so the easier it is for her the better for everyone.
I see your point. When you say "no remotes", I assume you mean you don't have to buy any remotes to make this work. But universal remotes make things just as easy and can be very cheap. My $8 universal remotes handle all the input changing in macros. In fact, my old cable remotes can do the same thing for free.

Also keep in mind that while the Netflix app works on the tv connected to the PC, it won't work on any extenders. So you'll have to find another solution for those anyway. I understand the desire for a unified interface, but WMC is so bad at so many things, it's just not worth all the compromises and hoops you have to jump through IMO. It does the TV/DVR thing very well, but that's all it does well.

Can you tell I'm trying to talk you out of this. Friends don't let friends settle for 720p ;)

My 2 cents

CablefreeMe

Post by CablefreeMe » Wed May 22, 2013 7:33 pm

mdavej wrote:
CablefreeMe wrote:I'm ok with 720p. I'm trying to make things easier for the family (and by family I mean my wife) to use. One app, one box, no changing inputs or remotes. She wasn't on board with going cable free so the easier it is for her the better for everyone.
I see your point. When you say "no remotes", I assume you mean you don't have to buy any remotes to make this work. But universal remotes make things just as easy and can be very cheap. My $8 universal remotes handle all the input changing in macros. In fact, my old cable remotes can do the same thing for free.

Also keep in mind that while the Netflix app works on the tv connected to the PC, it won't work on any extenders. So you'll have to find another solution for those anyway. I understand the desire for a unified interface, but WMC is so bad at so many things, it's just not worth all the compromises and hoops you have to jump through IMO. It does the TV/DVR thing very well, but that's all it does well.

Can you tell I'm trying to talk you out of this. Friends don't let friends settle for 720p ;)

My 2 cents
I hear ya about the 720p. But to be honest, for TV viewing its fine. Movie viewing is done in the dedicated HT and always view tangible media.

I was able to get my Onkyo remote to learn all my hardware but I'm sure she and the kids would prefer one stop viewing. As or what WMC does an doesn't do we'll I'm starting to figure that would. I'm going to play with nextpvr and XBMC a bit, but what WMC does do(Live TV, good and free guide, and PVR functions) it does so much better than anything else I've seen. Maybe nextpvr and XMBC will change my mind but I'm not holding my breath. Since live TV and PVR are my main requirements I'm wanting to stick with WMC as long as I can. If I end up needing to use multiple Apps within the same box (WMC and XBMC) then I think I'll be ok with that.

CablefreeMe

Post by CablefreeMe » Fri May 24, 2013 1:23 am

Ok. It seems the issue is IE 9 or 10. I ended up formatting and reinstalling ensuring that IE 8 stayed on. Im now watching a movie via the netflix plugin.

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Fri May 24, 2013 1:30 am

I run it with IE 10 with no problems.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri May 24, 2013 1:31 am

Shackleford wrote:I run it with IE 10 with no problems.

CablefreeMe

Post by CablefreeMe » Fri May 24, 2013 1:46 am

I don't know. All i know is i did three rebuilds in the last week. This time no IE 9 or 10 and now it works. I wish i would have gotten a packet capture of my attempts while IE 10 was the installed browser.

CablefreeMe

Post by CablefreeMe » Fri May 24, 2013 2:05 am

So the problem is back. I'm not suspecting the firewall. Smoothwall can do some funny things. That being said for those who can use it. How is the speed of the interface? Mine was very slow to render.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Fri May 24, 2013 2:12 am

Takes maybe a literal second to populate titles on my end. Even switching pivots/sections.

CablefreeMe

Post by CablefreeMe » Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 am

Wow. Much longer for me. I need to get some packet captures. Sty tuned. I feel for sure its a timeout issue

CablefreeMe

Post by CablefreeMe » Sat May 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Turned out to be the proxy add-on to my firewall. Smoothwall does some funny things. It's working now. Thanks.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Sat May 25, 2013 6:20 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I've often wondered if it would be possible to navigate Netflix in a browser with the Media Center remote plus some other stuff.
MCEWebView with just netflix.com

CablefreeMe

Post by CablefreeMe » Sun May 26, 2013 12:59 am

What about using relaunch to launch the netflix website.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun May 26, 2013 1:15 am

Aside from being limited to 720p, the Netflix app in WMC is quite good and works fine with a remote. What would be the point of using the website since the resolution will be the same and the control will be more complicated?

I use relaunch for Hulu, BBC, Youtube and several other things, but I don't see the benefit of doing it for Netflix.

MrNorth

Post by MrNorth » Sun May 26, 2013 2:23 pm

mdavej wrote:Aside from being limited to 720p, the Netflix app in WMC is quite good and works fine with a remote. What would be the point of using the website since the resolution will be the same and the control will be more complicated?

I use relaunch for Hulu, BBC, Youtube and several other things, but I don't see the benefit of doing it for Netflix.
It has some bugs, mostly about navigation. For example, if you watach an episode of a tv show and you want to watch another one, you can't simply press back to go to episode view, instead you end up in the main netflix view. Also lots of times the netflix app has gotten stuck if I stop an episode. Most of the times howeever I have been forced to search for the tv show again, reopen episode list and browse all the way to the episodes I was working on.

It seems like there is an issue with backwards navigation using remote "back" sometimes I get 1 step back and sometimes it forgets stuff (mostly the episode list view) and sometimes it freezes. Too bad MS can't fix the bugs and update the app, it is working really good (except from the ugly black boxes on clock and greenbutton when launching the web player. And no (i) button either... which kinda sux.

/S

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:28 pm

Hmmmm... after further investigation, I found that I don't get 5.1 audio in the browser either (nor 1080p video). Somehow, I thought that I would. My memory isn't what it used to be. So... using the browser would only give me the ability to turn subtitles on/off, but then only with a mouse. The nifty little program I linked in post #20 gives you quick navigation to different areas in Netflix (including the DVD Queue, which no longer works in the Media Center plugin), but it still doesn't give you access to easily turn CC on/off via a keyboard (and therefore the remote via an EventGhost macro).

I honestly don't care about 1080p from Netflix. I have a 64-inch, high-end TV mounted on my wall approx. 12 feet (3.66m) from my eyes when I'm sitting on the couch. The TV is set for 1:1 pixel mapping (no over-scan, so the TV's scaler is not involved when displaying a 1080p image because the TV's native resolution is 1920x1080). As a side note, I also have Media Center setup so that the display is a "Television" so that there is no over-scan caused by Media Center. I have actually done an experiment using two images, displayed full-screen in MS Paint. One was 1920x1080 and the other was 1280x720. Both had alternating white/black vertical lines. The lines were exactly one pixel wide in both images. I wore my progressive prescription glasses, which correct my vision to 20/20 at any distance ranging from 6 inches to infinity (with a special "continuum" curve that allows me to see a wider field of view in-focus at mid-to-far distances).

When I displayed the 1920x1080 image (with the video adapter and TV set to 1080p), I had to sit with my eyes closer than 6 feet from the screen in order to see the individual white/black lines. Any farther, and the image looked gray. When I displayed the 1280x720 image (with the video adapter and TV set to 720p, invoking the TV's internal scaler), I had to sit closer than 9 feet to see the individual black/white lines.

The reason the white/black lines blurred to gray has to do with human visual acuity. We humans actually cannot see a single dot or line that occupies less than a certain "arc minute" (look up "human visual acuity") in our field of view. Look it up. Anything smaller than that gets averaged together. This is why a television, with a mix of red, blue, and green dots, appears as an image with 16 million+ colors to us. If we could see the individual colored dots (like when you put your face right up to the TV screen), we would see the individual colored dots instead of the colors and shapes that we are supposed to see.

So... if you have a 64" screen, and you sit closer than 6 feet (1.83m) from your eyes to the screen... then you need 1080p. But, if you sit more than 9 feet (2.75m), 720p is fine for you... with the same size screen. If you have a 32" screen, cut those distances in half. If you have a 128" screen, double them. Anything in between, it's proportional.

For example, I used to have a 1024x768 projector (which had a really good scaler built-in). My screen was 120" (4:3) or 110" (16:9). My viewing position was 16 feet from the screen. HD looked great! When viewing wide-screen content, I only extended the screen far enough to display a 16:9 image, so that the black mask surrounded 3 sides of the image and the top of the image was projected only an inch or two from the ceiling. This was 2003, when most TV was in 4:3. When watching a 16:9 program, it used all 1024 pixels for the width, and cut off the bottom pixels (because my projector had a pixel-shift function), so the resulting 16:9 image occupied 576 pixels in height... so the 16:9 image was 1024x576. But... at 16 feet viewing distance, it looked as good as a 1920x1080 image on a 64" screen at 6 feet.

The point here is that the human eye can't tell the difference between a 1024x576 image on a 110" screen at 16 feet from a 1920x1080 screen at 6 feet (assuming that the scaler does a good job on the 1024x576 image).

So... do you REALLY need 1080p? Probably not, unless you sit VERY close to the screen (or you have a VERY large screen).

I think that 720p in Netflix should make most people happy. But I'd still like 5.1 audio and subtitles. I guess I'm better off using the built-in features of my "smart" TV. It gives me 5.1 audio, 1080p, and control of subtitles. But, in my opinion, the interface in Media Center is much better than the interface in my TV.

EDIT: I'll admit that I looked at projectors that could do true 1080p back in 2003 when I built that projection system... but they cost ten times as much as I spent, and the PQ difference could only be seen at close distances. My system used a projector that cost about $1600 and a tab-tensioned, motorized screen that cost about $1700. It made a fantastic movie night!

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:58 pm

I'll add that my "smart" TV has a Netflix app. It will do 1080p, 5.1 audio, and allows me to control the subtitles. But... I like the Media Center app much better. The MC app gives me much better control via the remote, the FFWD/RWD works better in MC, and it's just easier to use.

In Media Center, I've programmed my remote so that I can press a single button to get to Netflix. There is no way (that I've found) to use a single button to navigate to Netflix in my "smart" TV. Then, once I'm in Netflix in my TV, it just doesn't work as smooth as it does in MC.

The navigation in Media Center's Netflix plugin is better than the interface that exists in every Bluray player and "smart" TV that I've seen so far.

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Mon May 27, 2013 11:17 pm

My ISP doesn't work with Netflix for 1080p but even then not all programming is available in 1080p anyway. I like the functionality and availability of 5.1 on the ps3 app though.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue May 28, 2013 1:01 am

Are you sure about that? Every ISP that can do at least 5-6Mbps should give you 1080p. It's only certain ISPs that do Super HD, which is also 1080p but at a higher bitrate.

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Tue May 28, 2013 1:56 am

Maybe I do. I just never noticed a quality difference between all my devices so I assumed that you needed "super hd" to actually get 1080. I'll check next time I watch on my ps3 or 360.