No Picture Audio Only

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:32 pm

Lucky guess, throw enough s _ _ t up against the wall, and some of it has got to stick. How is your Echo running now?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:36 pm

shortcut3d wrote:Update: Ceton Echo and Ceton InfiniTV support never resolved the issue.

Crash2009 was absolutely correct and the CableCARD was the issue, which was leading to Playready problems. Even after successfully getting Playready to update, I had stuttering premium content, incomplete recordings, and tuner issues. Replaced the CableCARD and everything is fine. No Picture or No Audio has been resolved.

Steps Taken to Resolve the Issue:
1) Clear Tuner Configuration in Ceton Diagnostic Utility.
2) Uninstall Ceton Diagnostic software and drivers.
3) Restart.
4) Uninstall Playready.
5) Reset DRM.
6) Shutdown.
7) Replace CableCARD.
8) Power on.
9) Install Ceton Diagnostic software and drivers.
10) Activate CableCARD.
11) Run Tuner Setup in WMC.
The CableCARD has nothing to do with PlayReady (or WMDRM). It is much more likely that your playready uninstall/reinstall + reset resolved this.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:19 pm

I have room to store about 50 of Charter's Moto cards but they charge $2/mo each and there is no credit.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:57 am

erkotz wrote:
shortcut3d wrote:Update: Ceton Echo and Ceton InfiniTV support never resolved the issue.

Crash2009 was absolutely correct and the CableCARD was the issue, which was leading to Playready problems. Even after successfully getting Playready to update, I had stuttering premium content, incomplete recordings, and tuner issues. Replaced the CableCARD and everything is fine. No Picture or No Audio has been resolved.

Steps Taken to Resolve the Issue:
1) Clear Tuner Configuration in Ceton Diagnostic Utility.
2) Uninstall Ceton Diagnostic software and drivers.
3) Restart.
4) Uninstall Playready.
5) Reset DRM.
6) Shutdown.
7) Replace CableCARD.
8) Power on.
9) Install Ceton Diagnostic software and drivers.
10) Activate CableCARD.
11) Run Tuner Setup in WMC.
The CableCARD has nothing to do with PlayReady (or WMDRM). It is much more likely that your playready uninstall/reinstall + reset resolved this.
Playready would not install clean without this process. It would constantly go into a Playready Update required loop. Three Windows 7 installs later on brand new hardware it was still happening and then my existing HTPC started getting the same error. I could force Playready to install, but the Echo still had no picture or no audio on HBO, unless tuning directly from a fresh reboot.

After going through the process. Playready installed as one would expect. No need to net stop ehrecvr, no separate Playready installer, etc.

Two things changed from repeatedly resetting/reinstalling Playready (probably 15 times). What changed is I reinstalled the InfiniTV6 ETH software, and changed the CableCARD.

So if you believe the CableCARD has nothing to do with Playready, then it's a Ceton InfiniTV6 problem (hardware or drivers). However, Ceton InfiniTV support cleared my ETH of problems and referred me to open a ticket with Echo support.

So tell me what the root cause of the problem is again? Ceton or CableCARD?

BTW, Ceton InfiniTV support has not resolved my pixelation issues.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:09 am

Maybe Step (7) cleared the cobwebs, erkotz. Is it possible that Remove/Reseat CableCard might have shook something into place?
Last edited by Crash2009 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Maybe Step (7) cleared the cobwebs. erkotz, is it possible that Remove/Reseat CableCard might have shook something into place?
I can't see how - the CableCARD is not involved in WM-DRM or Playready
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:06 pm

erkotz wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:Maybe Step (7) cleared the cobwebs. erkotz, is it possible that Remove/Reseat CableCard might have shook something into place?
I can't see how - the CableCARD is not involved in WM-DRM or Playready
I promise you that Playready would not install under normal procedures until I re-installed the Ceton software/drivers and swapped the CableCARD.

I could force Playready to install using the various workarounds, but it would eventually fail.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:37 am

HA

The issue has returned. I replied to my ticket with Ceton.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:52 pm

shortcut3d wrote:HA

The Playready issue was resolved when switching the CableCARD.

To clarify, the issue that has returned is the topic of this post, No Picture OR No Audio on HBO.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:19 am

shortcut3d wrote:
shortcut3d wrote:HA

The Playready issue was resolved when switching the CableCARD.

To clarify, the issue that has returned is the topic of this post, No Picture OR No Audio on HBO.
It's been kinda quiet in this thread. Usually means "Need more info". I keep thinking "What are the other constants?" Got a couple more "shot in the dark" type ideas.

1-Have you yelled at your cable company lately?

2-Have you tried swapping out the router? By the way, what is the model and what firmware are you on? Maybe this will twig someone for an idea.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:27 am

I'm on the 1349 firmware.

I have not spoken with my cable co other than re-pairing the new cable card.

My router and access point is an Apple TimeCapsule 4th Generation. It sits between the cable modem and the rest of the network which is all unmanaged switches. Only Internet and WiFi traffic flow through the router. DHCP reservations are made by MAC address for all HTPC related equipment. Manual address are assigned to the HTPC, NAS, and InfiniTV6 ETH. Echo can not have a manually assigned IP.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:55 pm

I tried playing with NIC settings last night. Unfortunately, I ended losing pairing with the Echo when I doubled my transmit / receive buffer size and disabled interrupt moderation. After multiple attempts to re-pair the Echo and the HTPC, eventual resulted in BSOD. Yes my NIC drivers are up to date and this is an Intel NIC. Reducing the buffers to default fixed the BSOD re-pairing.

To avoid confusion.

Playready issue FIXED by replacing the CableCARD or reinstalling Ceton software.

BSOD caused by playing with NIC settings in attempt to find solution. BSOD FIXED by returning the transmit and receive buffers back to default.

No picture or No Audio on HBO still exists. Work around is multiple Echo restarts and immediately tuning to HBO or immediately playing HBO recording.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:37 am

I am experiencing the same issue. I have deleted all SD channels from my guide so all I watch is HD almost no premium content. I have a Panasonic TH-50PZ80U Plasma connected directly via HDMI and set to 1080p. The echo is brand new and updated to the latest firmware. I notice this problem mainly if I turn the TV off and leave the Echo on then at a later time when I restart the TV the WMC logo comes up and all onscreen display/menuing is okay. Audio - blank Picture. I have tried changing channels and occasionally the picture will come back. Also no pix when I try to watch a recorded program. The only fix is to reboot the echo.

I am running a small centrally located Win7 64bit Gigabyte ITX based HTPC with an I3 processor SSD and 4 gig. GIgabit lan with cascaded switches.

I suspect that this might have something to do with an HDCP (Hindering Desired Customer Participation) compatibility error between the Echo and WMC although there is no warning displayed.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:31 pm

I think I might have had the same problem when I first got mine. I don't notice the problem anymore. Admittedly, we shouldn't have to use a workaround to keep this thing running, but for the time being, what I have been doing to avoid this HDCP handshake issue is simply to shut the Echo off when I finish using it, and that gives me a fresh boot (and a new handshake) everytime.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:02 am

I always power off the Echo because my HTPC sleeps (we are into energy conservation because my wife is a green engineer). So powering off when not in use does not make a difference. It appears to be closely related to premium channels that are copy protected, but I've had it on regular broadcast channels.