XBox.next - May 21st unveiling

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
adam1991

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by adam1991 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:42 am

Yeah, right now. Today.

They don't work for everything that some people want to do, that much has been discussed. And tomorrow? Tomorrow's another day...

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:36 am

FWIW--
I own three Xbox 360's that serve as extenders. One, an older Xbox Arcade (Jasper chipset-- where they started getting quieter and resolved RROD issues) and two of the newer Xbox Slims.

I've never had a RROD issue, nor have I had any complaints from anyone in the family about noise (two are bedroom extenders and one is a family room extender / game console). My only complaint is the Xbox Live Gold Membership for any of the apps (including Netflix). For now I just suck it up and pay a family pack so the kids can play games with friends too-- but if it weren't for the Netflix, Amazon, & HBOGo, the kids can deal w/o Gold. LOL

In the same amount of time I've had these Xbox 360's, I've lost a standalone bluray player, a PS3, an iPod 4 Touch, father has lost a Roku, Brother-In-Law TWO PS3s, a friend a U-Verse box... and the list goes on...

As long as you do the basic recommended care of blowing dust out every once in a while and keeping them properly ventilated, the Xbox 360 can last forever as an extender and we've been quite happy.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu May 16, 2013 4:51 pm

adam1991 wrote:Yeah, right now. Today.

They don't work for everything that some people want to do, that much has been discussed. And tomorrow? Tomorrow's another day...

Who says that XBOX360 extender capability will not be cut off, similarly to your alleged Linksys and HP extender capability?

Microsoft can easily do it. Roll out an update, similar to Windows 8, and viola, you have 8,000,000 people looking to buy XBOX 720, since it is the only supported WMC extender.

However, if Linksys/HP/D-link and Xbox360 still work, Microsoft would have to really go out of their way to only disable extender capability of the HP/Linksys/D-Link and not their own xbox 360.

Having been using Linksys extenders exclusively for the last 5-6 years, I finally bit the bullet (after reading how "wonderful" it is) and bought a RRODed XBOX360 for $20 off craigslist. Fixed it up, and used it as extender last night. Man that thing is noisey and HOT!!!!!

I can only think of using it in the basement, since we would have turn up the TV volume pretty high to use it in any other livable area of the house.

Sure it takes less time to boot up, and it is a little bit quicker using the menu. But, because Linksys are silent, we never turn them off, so, they are quicker to "live TV" than XBOX, which absolutely has to be turned off when not in use. I can only imagine what is the power bill like when you have 6 XBOXes 360 in the house powered up 24/7!!! Mostly from increased air conditioning costs :mrgreen:

Edit: Forgot to add that you have leave a thumb drive in it for the updates to stick. And man, it took almost an hour to roll out all of the updates so that it can play digital content that Linksys plays just fine. (I did update the Linksys firmware sometime in 2008 or 2009)

Shackleford

Post by Shackleford » Thu May 16, 2013 5:21 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Xbox (Xbox Infinity?) had no extender capability.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Fri May 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Same here, in fact I will be surprised if it does have it given MS' abandonment of WMC.

makryger

Post by makryger » Fri May 17, 2013 12:54 pm

I'd be surprised if we even new the future of media center after the event... it will probably go completely unmentioned, and we'll have to wait to see what the new system holds when people start doing hands-on...
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Tue May 21, 2013 10:11 pm

makryger wrote:I'd be surprised if we even new the future of media center after the event... it will probably go completely unmentioned, and we'll have to wait to see what the new system holds when people start doing hands-on...
:clap:
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?