Anyone try an RF remote?

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
robk

HTPC Specs: Show details

Anyone try an RF remote?

Post by robk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:40 am

Hello all!

I'm looking for an RF remote to use with my Echo so I don't have to worry about line of sight when mounting/installing. I was able to try out the Gyration Air Music remote (which is what I use for my media center machine) but it would not work. It appeared to connect/pair when tapping the pair buttons on each and for about 30 seconds the dongle did light up on every keypress of the remote but soon stopped responding. (For those not familiar with this remote, it has an amber light on the dongle that lights on every keypress. No big deal, just a nice indicator that it's working.) It did not crash the Echo or interfere at all, it just did not work.

I asked Ceton support (Ticket ID: BCY-501-28011) and they directed me here. There is an RF remote on Amazon for about $65 but didn't want to take the plunge if it wasn't going to work. It's the Tripp Lite Keyspan ER-V2 RF Remote Control (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000S6 ... PDKIKX0DER). I suppose I could try it out and return but thought to check with the forum first.

Anyone had any experience with RF remotes and the Echo?

Thanks,

Rob

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:57 pm

Never heard of that one. Seems like it would be a pain since you still need another remote for the tv. I just use a regular RF universal with all my devices and it works fine (Xsight Touch / Nevo). Something cheap and simple like Next Generation would be a good solution as well.

vert18

Post by vert18 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:54 am

I'd look up URC RF on amazon

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:14 am

I've got that, best remote I've tried. Only with pc tho, not echo...
still using it even tho all numbers Av rubbed off cos everything else i tried had issues....
Lee

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:18 am

http://www.expansys.com/s.aspx?search=rf remote keyspan

that's where i got mine, dunno if its cheaper...
Lee

robk

Post by robk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I'm going to have to try the Keyspan remote. My goal is to have as minimal a footprint with the greatest range for the remote as possible. I'm also spoiled with the Gyration remote that works from two rooms away and never needing line of sight. Very high WAF.

With the combination of an LED TV, the Echo's screen saver function, and Ceton potentially updating the Echo firmware to support HDMI CEC for volume control, I should not need a TV remote at all. Hopefully, that is.

I'll post back when I get the Keyspan to see if it is compatible.

robk

Post by robk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:31 pm

They Keyspan RF remote does not work. Well, it kind of works but not nearly enough to use.

The usb dongle recognizes the remote. You can tell as any key presses on the remote light a small LED on the dongle. That's good, but only the arrow keys and the enter button kind of work. The arrow keys double move (one tap = two moves) as does the enter button. None of the other buttons do anything.

For what it's worth, this remote is supposedly certified for Media Center on Vista.

As a shot in the dark, I've switched to the Beta channel on the Echo. Not sure how long it will take to get on a Beta update. If it's quick, I can post back before I have to return the remote.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:57 pm

I've got the keyspan and it shows in devices as an ehome remote (on the pc) it works perfectly.
Lee

robk

Post by robk » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:52 pm

Thank - just wish it worked on the Echo.

How is the range on it?

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:43 pm

I can use it from upstairs... So good i guess
Lee