Echo with wireless Adapter

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
kp4akb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo with wireless Adapter

Post by kp4akb » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:42 pm

I am considering the Ceton Echo as it seems to be the only extender that will work with Windows Media Center.
I do not have network cable to where I want to use it. I went to Microcenter in Columbus and there is a product that could make the Echo Wi-Fi.

It is TP-Link 150Mbps Wireless N Access Point TL-WA701ND

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/ ... TL-WA701ND

Any members out there using the Echo in a Wi-Fi environment

Ed Rios
Ed Rios

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:00 pm

I know for a fact that this one works. I use it every day.

kp4akb

Post by kp4akb » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:36 pm

Thanks for the response, I found them at Office Depot.

Ed Rios
Columbus, OH
Ed Rios

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:44 pm

kp4akb wrote:I am considering the Ceton Echo as it seems to be the only extender that will work with Windows Media Center.
If you don't count the XBox. You can also get Linksys DMA2100 or DMA2200 or HP extenders on ebay.

ajhieb

Post by ajhieb » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:51 am

kp4akb wrote:I am considering the Ceton Echo as it seems to be the only extender that will work with Windows Media Center.
I do not have network cable to where I want to use it. I went to Microcenter in Columbus and there is a product that could make the Echo Wi-Fi.

It is TP-Link 150Mbps Wireless N Access Point TL-WA701ND

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/ ... TL-WA701ND

Any members out there using the Echo in a Wi-Fi environment

Ed Rios
Wireless is VERY fickle, and will vary greatly based on the environment in which it is installed. Some report having little to no trouble using Wi-fi, others had nothing but headaches, and eventually gave up.

If you pursue wireless, know that just because it worked in one instance is no guarantee that it will work for your needs.

Powerline Ethernet and MoCa adapters seem to be more reliable (the latter reportedly more so than the former) but they generally represent a greater investment.

I use these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 0FU0EY7298 and they've been very little fuss and don't crap out everytime I turn on the microwave. (A buddy of mine would lose connectivity on his XBox extender every time he nuked a cup of coffee)

kp4akb

Post by kp4akb » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:45 pm

Let me add that I now own a Ceton Echo and it is working as advertised. I used it with 50ft of Type 6 Ethernet cable and it worked as expected. Yesterday I purchased the TP-Link TL-WA901ND and After 8 hours I managed to get it working. I am fairly logical but but the Far East logic may be a little different. It comes with a system called QSS for searching and connecting to a Router. That did not work. I finally got it to work and I am testing it. I have had a couple of momentes where the Echo seems to freeze and stop playing Live TV.

I looked into the Powerline Ethernet and I was told by the salesman that the breakers might be a problem.

MoCa adapter sounds promising.

My next concern is the escalating cost of all of this hardware and accesories.

Ed Rios
Ed Rios

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:57 pm

kp4akb wrote:Let me add that I now own a Ceton Echo and it is working as advertised. I used it with 50ft of Type 6 Ethernet cable and it worked as expected. Yesterday I purchased the TP-Link TL-WA901ND and After 8 hours I managed to get it working. I am fairly logical but but the Far East logic may be a little different. It comes with a system called QSS for searching and connecting to a Router. That did not work. I finally got it to work and I am testing it. I have had a couple of momentes where the Echo seems to freeze and stop playing Live TV.

I looked into the Powerline Ethernet and I was told by the salesman that the breakers might be a problem.

MoCa adapter sounds promising.

My next concern is the escalating cost of all of this hardware and accesories.

Ed Rios
Just because breakers "might" be a problem is no reason to dismiss powerline entirely. Works fine for most of us and is a lot cheaper than MoCa, since you are concerned about cost. I've been successfully using powerline with a house full of extenders for quite a while now.

optikhog

Post by optikhog » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:16 pm

I use this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833320112. Never had a problem.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:34 pm

mdavej wrote:Just because breakers "might" be a problem is no reason to dismiss powerline entirely. Works fine for most of us and is a lot cheaper than MoCa, since you are concerned about cost. I've been successfully using powerline with a house full of extenders for quite a while now.
Yeah one HTPC and one DMA 2100 on Powerline with no problems here.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:23 pm

While we do nothing to intentionally block powerline or wireless, we do not recommend them, and Ceton support may request that you switch to a wired ethernet connection for troubleshooting purposes if you open a support ticket.
There are some users that have used them successfully, but others run into difficulty getting reliable performance. We typically recommend MoCA for users that do not want to use ethernet, as we have heard overwhelmingly positive feedback on it.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

kp4akb

Post by kp4akb » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:27 am

Right now I have opted for the Cat 7 line. 50 ft just made it to the site where the Echo adapter goes. It is flawless when hard wired.

I have other issues but I think it might be TV related.

Thanks for all the input. The TP-Link was atractive because of its low price. Should not have been surprised at the difficulty in setting it up.
Ed Rios

vert18

Post by vert18 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:02 am

I run MoCAs to both of my ceton echos and one Apple TV they have been working just fine..

kp4akb

Post by kp4akb » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:19 am

I will have to learn a little more about MoCas

Ed
Ed Rios

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:34 pm

+1 on the MOCA's. I've got three NetGear MCA1001 ones running perfectly. They hook up and require no configuration, at least for me. They're older and I've been unable to find more on eBay for spares. The only thing to worry about is if you have a cable amplifier. Mine connect before my 8 port splitter. I've been unable to find a cable amplifier that go high enough to pass a MOCA signal.

robk

Post by robk » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:07 pm

I use the a couple TRENDnet 500 Mbps Powerline Ethernet AV Adapter Kits (TPL-401E2K). They have a newer model available but I didn't think it was 10/100/1000 (this one is). My house is about 20 years old, 1,800 square feet - powerlines work perfectly for HD video in any room in the house.