Problem watching sports with TBS6981

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
CyberSimian

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by CyberSimian » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:04 am

fobos8 wrote:Watched some football again tonight on ITV HD. Managed to get a really good picture using the TBS card in my wife's PC. She has a Nvidia Geforce GTX660 card that she uses for CAD software. The picture is a lot crisper and less blurred. There is a little bit of blurring when the camera moves quickly but this almost instantaneously corrects itself. Pretty much the same quality as the TV's onboard Freesat HD.
An interesting result. The impression that I get from reading various news groups is that people generally seem to worry only whether a graphics card can do high-definition; they never seem to worry about how well a graphics card can do high definition. Your result indicates that a more-capable graphics card will produce a better picture. This confirms a result obtained by Anandtech in a review of several graphics cards, where they found that an ATI card was noticeably better at de-interlacing than the Nvidia GT430 (the GT430 is favoured by several members of TGB). When asked to comment, Nvidia said that the GT430 did not have enough processing power to perform the type of de-interlacing that the ATI card implemented. Full article here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4380/disc ... shootout/1
fobos8 wrote:Thing is how do I now manage to get a graphics card in my Streacom case? I already have a soundcard in there which is definitely not coming out and the TBS card. The printed circuit board will take another PCIe card but there is no extra "proper" slot on the case. There is space in the case though - so do I get a drill out and some self tapping screws and get it on there?? Of should I get another case with 3 slots?
A more-capable graphics card will produce a better picture. But a more-capable graphics card will also consume more power, and generate more heat. The Nvidia GTX660 is at the higher end of the performance scale, so will consume more power and generate more heat. You might need to use a bigger power supply than you currently have, and arranging adequate cooling might be problematic if the case is not designed for it. On the other hand, would you want to use a graphics card with a lower spec than the GTX660? A GT430 might be as good, but there again it might give you a picture that is noticeably worse than the GTX660. A difficult decision to make, I think.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:05 am

I'd just watch footy live on the telly! I do on my freeviewHD it's noticeabley better....
Lee

fobos8

Post by fobos8 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:50 pm

thanks for the link CyberSimian

going to borrow a ATI HD6570 to try out. It is fanless, pretty small and cheap. If it works - great - I'll find a way to squeeze it into the case.

if there's no difference as suggested by milli260876 I'll just watch live sport on the TV's onboard tuner - no big deal.

I'll let you know next week how the ATI card goes.

Cheers, Andrew

fobos8

Post by fobos8 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:34 pm

Good news!!

Have watched some football today using the Saphire AMD 6570 HD graphics card instead of the onboard Intel 4000 HD graphics. I have to say its really good - far better than using the Intel graphics and slightly better quality than using a set top box. The inevitable blurring from camera panning is a lot less now and corrects itself very quickly when the camera stops panning. No need for a top end card like the Nvidia mentioned earlier in the thread - this one is just as good for watching HD sports.

So all in all a good result.

Thanks to everyone for their help and input in this thread. :clap:

A very happy Andrew :P