Cheapest Xbox?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
blueiedgod

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by blueiedgod » Fri May 31, 2013 4:32 pm

ThePaladinTech wrote:I see on ebay a lot of Xboxes that say "no HDMI" - I'm only looking at Xbox Slim 4GB models. Are there different revision of that model? When they say "no HDMI" does it mean they aren't giving me the cable or that it will not support HDMI? it *looks* like they all have an HDMI but I've learned not to assume anything :)

Thanks!

Amazingly, non-HDMI XBOX can still output 720p signal with the component cable that comes with it. There is a switch on the cable that enables HDTV output. I have not tested it with 1080p TV, but it works with a 19" 720p TV just as well as HDMI.

You are probably not going to find too many broken slims, since they were made a bit better and they are still relatively new.

Edit: It actually displays 1080p over non-HDMI connection.
Last edited by blueiedgod on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:36 pm

lurch66 wrote:the dashboard update fixed the DVD drive on the Xbox i purchased as well. does anybody here know how that is possible. I am very happy it happened I am just curious?
Depending on what you had on there originally, there are MANY changes in XBOX fw/dashboard updates... some interesting ones that have affected others with their DVD drives:

- In April 2010 an update restored the ability for banned consoles to install games among other items. This was first disabled in Oct 2009 in which the update disabled hard drive installs for banned consoles, the banned console can no longer be used as a media center, and user information, such as profiles and game saves, appear to be corrupted when used on another console.

- In July and may 2011 there were firmware updates to re-flash many of the dvd drive models on the 360s and lock them from tampering (SPI lock). an unlocked spi after that firmware update is detectable by MS and is an immediate console ban.
Time is on my side.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:06 pm

TeddyR wrote:
lurch66 wrote:the dashboard update fixed the DVD drive on the Xbox i purchased as well. does anybody here know how that is possible. I am very happy it happened I am just curious?
Depending on what you had on there originally, there are MANY changes in XBOX fw/dashboard updates... some interesting ones that have affected others with their DVD drives:

- In April 2010 an update restored the ability for banned consoles to install games among other items. This was first disabled in Oct 2009 in which the update disabled hard drive installs for banned consoles, the banned console can no longer be used as a media center, and user information, such as profiles and game saves, appear to be corrupted when used on another console.

- In July and may 2011 there were firmware updates to re-flash many of the dvd drive models on the 360s and lock them from tampering (SPI lock). an unlocked spi after that firmware update is detectable by MS and is an immediate console ban.
I just came across XBOX from 2008, and it would not recognize Flash drive as storage. And in order to update the software it needed some sort of storage. Had to locate an XBOX hard drive to update the software so that it would recognize the flash drive. Once done, all other updates were done with a flash drive, instead of hard drive.

I find it odd, though, that I have to keep the flash drive in the XBOX in order for the updates to take. Taking out flash drive, removes the updates, but not the new dashboard.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:50 pm

Xbox 360 slim 4GB for $171 at Target