What are the best HTPC keyboards?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
watts3000

HTPC Specs: Show details

What are the best HTPC keyboards?

Post by watts3000 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:22 pm

Guys I would like to get your thoughts on htpc keyboards. So with that said what do you guys think are the best htpc keyboards?

I'm looking at getting this one

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless ... c+keyboard

http://www.amazon.com/Multimedia-Keyboa ... c+keyboard

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:29 pm

I have the IOgear, and like it.

It's cheaper at Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6823176018

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:54 pm

I like the Logitech for the touchpad and stellar battery life.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:15 pm

+1 for the Logitech K400.

It has great range. Mine works at least 25 feet from the HTPC. It's smaller than a full size one yet not a mini which may be difficult to use. They frequently go on sale for $29.99 at Newegg, Staples, etc.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:49 pm

Logitech user also. Great price, great trackpad. It is also smaller than it looks in the pictures, but not too small.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:11 pm

Am I the only one who appreciates a phone/tablet app? My phone and/or tablet is always within reach. I've tried wireless solutions otherwise and they're all hokey solutions. I'm accustomed to typing on my phone (swype) and tablet already and the mouse pad portion is quite intuitive, it's just like a trackpad on a laptop. ...and an app costs between zero and a few bucks.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:39 pm

mcewinter wrote:Am I the only one who appreciates a phone/tablet app? My phone and/or tablet is always within reach. I've tried wireless solutions otherwise and they're all hokey solutions. I'm accustomed to typing on my phone (swype) and tablet already and the mouse pad portion is quite intuitive, it's just like a trackpad on a laptop. ...and an app costs between zero and a few bucks.
Not at all. That's my top choice as well. I love Hippo Remote. My logitech gets used very rarely. The only reason I have it is because it was an impulse buy when I had some staples rewards cash about to expire. However, I have to say a (nearly) full size keyboard is nice when I have a lot of typing to do.

OP, if you do end up with a K400, make sure you get the K400r. It's a lot more configurable than the K400. But it's hard to tell exactly what model you're getting online as most sites still list the 400, but actually sell the 400r. If you can pick one up at a local store, you'll know for sure what you're getting. The logitech isn't perfect though. The right shift is in a weird place, and there are no skip fwd/back keys. But overall, it's fine for HTPC and has lots of programmable hotkeys.

Between the 2 models posted, it really comes down to whether you personally prefer a touchpad or trackball. I prefer a touchpad myself. And that IOGear one seems pretty hefty. The Logitech is very light. Those could be good or bad depending on your preference.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:45 pm

mcewinter wrote:Am I the only one who appreciates a phone/tablet app?
How do you pause the TV when your phone rings?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:56 pm

foxwood wrote:
Actually, Hippo Remote (and probably others) automatically pause when you get a call and resume when you hang up (IIRC). It's pretty slick.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:09 pm

mdavej wrote:And that IOGear one seems pretty hefty. The Logitech is very light.
The IOGear weighs 21.5 oz (610gr) with batteries installed. I've only changed the batteries once in over 2 years (obviously I don't use it as much as a regular PC keyboard).

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:35 pm

foxwood wrote:
I press the pause button on my remote. Keyboard and mouse are something I need only occasionally. Maybe it's just me.

Edit: If it really is that important; Mobile air mouse has an abundance of remote buttons and shortcuts based on what window you're attending at the moment. I simply use it for keyboard and mouse (mostly mouse).

http://www.mobilemouse.com/ Android and iOS compatible

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:00 pm

I like the little lenovo as long as I don't have to do anything major. It's got a very usable mouse, backlit keys, touch area that easily handles scrolling, and my wife doesn't mind it sitting out in the living room. You can often get it for ~$35 if you look around. The only downside is a lack of Function keys.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005L2 ... AT977899MB

If I need to do anything extensive, I'll use remote desktop.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:54 pm

Use the remote to control HTPC. If you need a keyboard then it is just a PC connected to a TV, not HTPC, IMHO.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:02 pm

blueiedgod wrote:Use the remote to control HTPC. If you need a keyboard then it is just a PC connected to a TV, not HTPC, IMHO.
When they start giving TV shows all-numeric names, there won't be any advantage to using a keyboard over a remote.

But for now, (until the Media Execs realize just how brillliant that idea is), it's easier to type in program names with an alpha keyboard than with a numeric keyboard. You don't NEED a keyboard, it just does a better job for some tasks. Of course, if you watch TV the way the Media Execs want you to, watching the shows that they want you to watch, when they want you to watch them, you never have to type the name of a program in, so a keyboard becomes a moot point.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:10 pm

I can get by 99% of the time with just a remote. Simple searches with the onscreen triple-tap keyboard work fine with a remote. On the rare occasions I need to do more typing or need to use a mouse, I use my iPhone. On the even rarer occasions I need to do a lot of typing, I'll resort to a real keyboard or remote desktop. I use a remote 100% of the time on my extenders, so everyone in the household uses the same simple, consistent way to control the DVR and Live TV on every TV in the house, same as they did when I had satellite and cable DVRs. The women in the family still think we have DirecTV in fact. They have no idea a computer is involved at all.

So, I find a combination of tools works best for me, and a single tool works best for the rest of the family.

I assume the OP has already decided he wants to use a keyboard primarily. Not the best overall solution IMO, but to each his own.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:13 pm

blueiedgod wrote:Use the remote to control HTPC. If you need a keyboard then it is just a PC connected to a TV, not HTPC, IMHO.
I tend to agree. More importantly my wife sees it that way. We both have our tablets and/or phone handy should we need to poke at some keys. The Ceton app really does eliminate much of the need for a keyboard but that's not without its holes in its current incarnation.

watts3000

Post by watts3000 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:09 pm

I don't agree for example lets say you are watching some streaming video off of cartoon network and you need to use a web browser to type the url imo a keyboard is just better.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:17 pm

blueiedgod wrote:If you need a keyboard then it is just a PC connected to a TV, not HTPC, IMHO.
I've been saying this for as long as I can remember.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:18 pm

watts3000 wrote:I don't agree for example lets say you are watching some streaming video off of cartoon network and you need to use a web browser to type the url imo a keyboard is just better.
I do not use a web browser in my living room. Period. This would suffice at my desk though, where I have a keyboard and mouse.
Last edited by mcewinter on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:19 pm

staknhalo wrote:
blueiedgod wrote:If you need a keyboard then it is just a PC connected to a TV, not HTPC, IMHO.
I've been saying this for as long as I can remember.
I completely agree. At that point it's just a PC on a TV.