What are the best HTPC keyboards?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
staknhalo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by staknhalo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:26 pm

mcewinter wrote:
staknhalo wrote:
blueiedgod wrote:If you need a keyboard then it is just a PC connected to a TV, not HTPC, IMHO.
I've been saying this for as long as I can remember.
I completely agree. At that point it's just a PC on a TV.
And for some, that's fine. If I were to do that type of setup - I'd go with a OSX type dock on the desktop with shortcuts to folders/programs/websites that I would use for media; and that would be my home screen/launch page.

For an HTPC though - we're mostly trying to make it appear as if it's not a PC - but some type of consumer device - hence why using a remote is an integral part of the setup/appearance.

Also another exapmple/scenario - for a bedroom HTPC - a mouse and keyboard doesn't cut it when trying to use it laying down in bed. Now you got a mouse and keyboard laying around instead of just a remote with a more cumbersome usage experience to boot.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:47 pm

Iv'e used a keyboard by Rii and the microsoft keyboard, both of which I still have [useless in a drawer]. Nothing is more convenient then the remote. Whatever touch screen device I have close by takes care of the rest wether it's updating things or searching though I rarely run a search. If I do, I tend to consult the Ceton app for that. If I need to access netflix to search I do it from elsewhere such as my tablet or phone then add it to my que if need be. A keyboard was never a good fit in the living room which is why threads like this rear their heads from time to time. There is not one great keyboard for a HTPC; MS tried and came close but they are all comprimises in some way shape or form.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:35 pm

mcewinter wrote:I completely agree.
I completely disagree.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:10 am

foxwood wrote:
mcewinter wrote:I completely agree.
I completely disagree.
Um, okay :thumbup:

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:34 am

blueiedgod wrote:Use the remote to control HTPC. If you need a keyboard then it is just a PC connected to a TV, not HTPC, IMHO.
I would disagree in certain cases. For instance the poorly written Netflix plugin is horrible to use when you're scrolling through 17 seasons of a tv show to get to one of the seasons at the end of the list. I'd much rather pick up the little lenovo keyboard I have next to me and scroll or mouse to the end of the list. It takes absolutely forever to use the remote. As a general rule, yes, I try to do everything with a remote control, but there are times when it makes sense to do otherwise.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:39 am

I mainly use a remote. But once in a while I need the keyboard, such as to update Windows. I also find it handy when typing in & searching for a program name in Hulu.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:59 am

EmirOfGroofunkistan wrote:
blueiedgod wrote:Use the remote to control HTPC. If you need a keyboard then it is just a PC connected to a TV, not HTPC, IMHO.
I would disagree in certain cases. For instance the poorly written Netflix plugin is horrible to use when you're scrolling through 17 seasons of a tv show to get to one of the seasons at the end of the list. I'd much rather pick up the little lenovo keyboard I have next to me and scroll or mouse to the end of the list. It takes absolutely forever to use the remote. As a general rule, yes, I try to do everything with a remote control, but there are times when it makes sense to do otherwise.
A bit off topic, but I've conditioned myself to hitting play on the intital screen and continue to do this after each episode. Netflix will keep track of where you left off even in mid episode.

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:17 am

mcewinter wrote:A bit off topic, but I've conditioned myself to hitting play on the initial screen and continue to do this after each episode. Netflix will keep track of where you left off even in mid episode.

Not a bad alternative, but I haven't had good luck with it remembering the correct episode, plus my kids don't watch their shows in order.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:21 am

EmirOfGroofunkistan wrote:
mcewinter wrote:A bit off topic, but I've conditioned myself to hitting play on the initial screen and continue to do this after each episode. Netflix will keep track of where you left off even in mid episode.

Not a bad alternative, but I haven't had good luck with it remembering the correct episode, plus my kids don't watch their shows in order.
Kids are such a game changer :crazy:

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:20 pm

I use my remote most of the time, but I use a wireless keyboard with a multi-touch mousepad occasionally. Not in Media Center, but for the occasion that I see something on TV that I want to lookup in a browser. My keyboard has a row of buttons that allow me to be in a browser at the touch of a button. When a show mentions a website that looks interesting or I want to find more information about a topic, I'll look for it online. If I don't have my laptop handy, I'll use the wireless keyboard to look it up on the TV. Also, I sometimes want to see the full, un-cut interview on The Daily Show... so I'll browse to their website, find the interview, and then watch it in full-screen. Try that with a remote.

And about all this silliness over HTPC vs. "just a PC connected to a TV"... it is just a PC connected to a TV. It gives us the flexibility to use it as EITHER. That's wayyyy better than "just an HTPC".

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:01 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:And about all this silliness over HTPC vs. "just a PC connected to a TV"... it is just a PC connected to a TV. It gives us the flexibility to use it as EITHER. That's wayyyy better than "just an HTPC".
Except that it does take whatever cool factor there is out of the experience. I use a tablet for most of what you use a keyboard for. I also maintain what I watch on netflix, schedule/peruse recorded TV, peruse/launch movies, etc. from my tablet without disturbing what's on the screen and without squinting at a browser. This offers more grace than a qwerty in my mind, and my wife appreciates that I'm not treating the living room like it's my desk.

Edit: And I couldn't hand my wife the keyboard and say "Here! you might need this."
Last edited by mcewinter on Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

watts3000

Post by watts3000 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:02 pm

barnabas1969 my thoughts exactly that's why I went ahead and ordered this last night

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless ... c+keyboard

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:20 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Also, I sometimes want to see the full, un-cut interview on The Daily Show... so I'll browse to their website, find the interview, and then watch it in full-screen. Try that with a remote.
SecondRun.tv my friend :)

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:11 pm

watts3000 wrote:I don't agree for example lets say you are watching some streaming video off of cartoon network and you need to use a web browser to type the url imo a keyboard is just better.

How do you get to the browser when HTPC is locked in "media only" mode so that kids, guests, wife... don't mess with it?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:12 pm

blueiedgod wrote:
watts3000 wrote:I don't agree for example lets say you are watching some streaming video off of cartoon network and you need to use a web browser to type the url imo a keyboard is just better.

How do you get to the browser when HTPC is locked in "media only" mode so that kids, guests, wife... don't mess with it?
Entry point for the browser via Media Center Studio or the like

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:14 pm

If you need a keyboard on your remote, TiVO slider remotes work with WMC.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:19 pm

blueiedgod wrote:If you need a keyboard on your remote, TiVO slider remotes work with WMC.
That's a pretty slick solution. How easy is it to get it to work initially and remap buttons?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:22 pm

staknhalo wrote:
blueiedgod wrote:If you need a keyboard on your remote, TiVO slider remotes work with WMC.
That's a pretty slick solution. How easy is it to get it to work initially and remap buttons?

About the same as programming a Harmony remote.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:42 pm

mcewinter wrote:Edit: And I couldn't hand my wife the keyboard and say "Here! you might need this."
There's that "need" word again.

It's not about needing a keyboard - it's about a keyboard being a better tool for certain tasks than a remote.

(And you might be surprised what your wife might do with that keyboard - some of them are actually smarter than their husbands!)

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:44 pm

watts3000 wrote:barnabas1969 my thoughts exactly that's why I went ahead and ordered this last night

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless ... c+keyboard

Love the use of the cat for a size comparison in the pictures on Amazon...