Bad address on InfiniTV?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
pmrowley

HTPC Specs: Show details

Bad address on InfiniTV?

Post by pmrowley » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:10 pm

All,

I'm running a 2-card InfiniTV 4 setup. Yesterday, one of my InfiniTV 4 cards lost its IP address, and now will only pick up a 169.x.x.x address. Is it possible to statically address these cards, so this problem doesn't continue to crop up? Right now, my second card is totally unavailable, and resetting the network doesn't work. It keeps going to a 169.x.x.x(preferred) address. The Media Center box itself is statically addressed on a 192.168.0.x address.

Thanks,
-P

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:19 am

pmrowley wrote:All,

I'm running a 2-card InfiniTV 4 setup. Yesterday, one of my InfiniTV 4 cards lost its IP address, and now will only pick up a 169.x.x.x address. Is it possible to statically address these cards, so this problem doesn't continue to crop up? Right now, my second card is totally unavailable, and resetting the network doesn't work. It keeps going to a 169.x.x.x(preferred) address. The Media Center box itself is statically addressed on a 192.168.0.x address.

Thanks,
-P
What color is the LED on the back of the InfiniTV? Also, are you using network tuners? Lastly, have you tried upgrading to the latest beta drivers/firmware?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

pmrowley

Post by pmrowley » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:26 am

Blue, no, and yes. The card started grabbing a private address rather than listening to the internal DHCP server as of this morning.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:28 am

Did you already open the InfiniTV web page that corresponds to that tuner and check under the system tab, network settings?
Check both cards to see what they are set to before making any changes, as one should be something like 192.168.200.2 (?) and
the other 192.168.200.1, unless usb, in that case 192.168.180.x.
There is a default settings check box, but with 2 cards use caution in tampering
If you're sharing any tuners default box will be unchecked and IP will be different after bridge is set up.
Also
http://cetoncorp.com/support/index.php? ... inking-led

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:09 pm

If these are USB, make sure they are both directly attached to the PC, and connected to USB 2.0 (not 3.0) ports. Beyond that, I would recommend that you open a support ticket with us.

pmrowley

Post by pmrowley » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:35 pm

I have a ticket in queue right now.

The second Ceton card is not accessible (both are PCI-e), as it has a private, nonroutable address. It is showing up in Device Manager as being present, but Ceton Diagnostics cannot see the card, so I can't get to the card's web page to change the settings. This is something that suddenly happened overnight, with no changes on my part. One day both cards were present, the next day, one was missing, and showed up with a 169.x address in IPCONFIG. I cannot do anything to the card, unless there is another way to access it.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:52 pm

pmrowley wrote:I have a ticket in queue right now.

The second Ceton card is not accessible (both are PCI-e), as it has a private, nonroutable address. It is showing up in Device Manager as being present, but Ceton Diagnostics cannot see the card, so I can't get to the card's web page to change the settings. This is something that suddenly happened overnight, with no changes on my part. One day both cards were present, the next day, one was missing, and showed up with a 169.x address in IPCONFIG. I cannot do anything to the card, unless there is another way to access it.
192.168.x.x is a private, non-routable address (though it can be routed locally, just not over the public Internet). 169.x.x.x is a Link-Local address, which is used when there is no response to a DHCP request, and a static address hasn't been assigned.

If there's a 169.x address showing up in IPconfig, then you should be able to talk to that address - as long as it's listening. It wouldn't be showing up in IPconfig if it wasn't "connected", and the addresses presence in IPconfig means that Windows knows where to send the packets for that network.

I know that this is absolutely no help to you in figuring out what the problem is, I just wanted to clarify the terms. I don't have 2 InfiniTVs, so I don't know how the 2nd card is supposed to get it's address, but it's a weird enough situation that I'd definitely wait for feedback from Ceton (even though I'm normally a proponent of take it all apart and put it back together trouble-shooting).

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:17 am

I don't remember which system it was, but I had an issue where my pcie on the mainboard was the cause, driver issue possibly.
But that shouldn't do anything with address, I don't suppose you have an open slot?
,or perhaps another system to test the misbehaving card on?

pmrowley

Post by pmrowley » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:16 am

I swapped the misbehaving card into the "good" card's PCI-e slot with no luck. Bridging the Ceton adapter with the motherboard's NIC doesn't work either; I can only conclude at this point that external communications to the NIC onboard the Ceton has gone bad somehow. I've asked for an RMA. I can't think of any other reason for the card to suddenly stop responding like this one has.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:46 am

The only other thing I could think of is to pull the cable card and reboot to see if it shows up in the diagnostic tool,
but I don't think it will do any good, shouldn't.

bhellmer

Post by bhellmer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:48 pm

I have the same problem!

I also have a 2-card InfiniTV 4 setup.

One with the 192.168.200.2 IP address and one with an IP address from my household LAN.

One only is only discoverable when bridged and the other is only discoverable not bridged.

I have used the InfiniTV Network Wizard repeatedly with both cards and with each card separately, and I can not jar either card back to normalcy.

Have you notice when resetting to Factory Mode that the InfiniTV Network Wizard does not ask which of the two cards you wish to reset? Is it resetting both? If it is just resetting one, which one? Or is it just corrupting the configuration of both as I have experienced?

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:28 pm

The Reset Network Settings script cannot select a single InfiniTV to reset as it uses broadcast packets to reset the InfiniTV. It is primarily designed to reset an InfiniTV that is inaccessible due to changed network settings.

bhellmer

Post by bhellmer » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:11 pm

erkotz: I do not believe that we are not referring to the same button.

The menu "Ceton infiniTV" within the Windows Media Center Start page contains the button "network tuners". InfiniTV Network Tuners has two options "Setup InfiniTV" and "Reset InfiniTVs to factory settings". I am referring to this "Reset InfiniTV to factory settings" option.

I believe the erkotz is referring to the "Reset Network Settings" button within the Device tab of the Ceton Diagnostics Tool application.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:08 pm

bhellmer wrote:erkotz: I do not believe that we are not referring to the same button.

The menu "Ceton infiniTV" within the Windows Media Center Start page contains the button "network tuners". InfiniTV Network Tuners has two options "Setup InfiniTV" and "Reset InfiniTVs to factory settings". I am referring to this "Reset InfiniTV to factory settings" option.

I believe the erkotz is referring to the "Reset Network Settings" button within the Device tab of the Ceton Diagnostics Tool application.
Both buttons do exactly the same thing. The "Reset InfiniTVs to Factory Defaults" only affect the network settings of the InfiniTV card. I can see how the current wording is confusing, and have filed a change request with our devs to change the wording in a future release.