Extender Help!!!!! I've tried it all!!!

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
three37

HTPC Specs: Show details

Extender Help!!!!! I've tried it all!!!

Post by three37 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:50 pm

Hello to all, especially to those that can help me!

I have before had my xbox connected to my pc through WMC. However it has been much time that I have used it. I lost my internet for months, I have no moved to another state and I finally have High Speed AGAIN!

Problem: Getting media center extender to work! Simple enough.
I have deleted all extenders. and re-tried
I have checked the services checked the dependencies all are working However I cannot get Media Center Extender to start in the services I get this message "error 1079: the account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process"
I have tried starting a new user account dedicated to MCE only still no success.

My setup is all wireless and I have a factory Brighthouse Modem Wireless router from UBEE.

Wired is not an option.

Please any help would be great.

If I am to vague please let me know and I will explain!

thanks

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:12 pm

three37 wrote:Hello to all, especially to those that can help me!

I have before had my xbox connected to my pc through WMC. However it has been much time that I have used it. I lost my internet for months, I have no moved to another state and I finally have High Speed AGAIN!

Problem: Getting media center extender to work! Simple enough.
I have deleted all extenders. and re-tried
I have checked the services checked the dependencies all are working However I cannot get Media Center Extender to start in the services I get this message "error 1079: the account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process"
I have tried starting a new user account dedicated to MCE only still no success.

My setup is all wireless and I have a factory Brighthouse Modem Wireless router from UBEE.

Wired is not an option.

Please any help would be great.

If I am to vague please let me know and I will explain!

thanks
Can you connect to Xbox Live? Assuming you can, maybe you deleted something by accident. Try repairing the system files. Open a command prompt as administrator and type sfc /scannow. That will fix most errors. If you customized your menus you may have to change them again.

three37

Post by three37 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:18 pm

running it now, will let you know the outcome

three37

Post by three37 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:19 pm

and thanks for such a quick response i've been dealing with this for 2 days now

three37

Post by three37 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:39 pm

It found no violations

How do I reset everything back to the defaults that would be pertaining to the extenders

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:20 am

three37 wrote:It found no violations

How do I reset everything back to the defaults that would be pertaining to the extenders
Silly question, but are you absolutely positive the PC and the Xbox are connected to the same network? I have 5 extenders and am constantly tinkering and reinstalling. I've never had a problem connecting the extender.

three37

Post by three37 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:30 am

yeah it's the only network in the house and all the others around are secured so we are connected to the same network

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:52 am

three37 wrote: How do I reset everything back to the defaults that would be pertaining to the extenders
On the extenders settings page, go to the General section and select "Reset to factory defaults"

On your Media Center system, delete all extenders in Media Center. Also, delete the extender's user account in Windows. Right-click My Computer, select Manage. Go to Local Users and Groups-->Users and delete all users that begin with mcx.

Then, reconfigure the extenders as if you just bought them.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

three37

Post by three37 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:41 pm

Nothing Seems to work I have uninstalled .net cleaned .net and reinstalled .net, now my media center extender service is automatic but it still wont allow it to be started. It says it can't run on this proccess?

three37

Post by three37 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Still nothing I can't even start the media center extender service
it tells me something else is running on this process

dotbatman

Post by dotbatman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:33 pm

Is reinstalling an option?

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:00 pm

lithium630 wrote:

Silly question, but are you absolutely positive the PC and the Xbox are connected to the same network? I have 5 extenders and am constantly tinkering and reinstalling. I've never had a problem connecting the extender.

I am interested in knowing how you have 5 extenders connected to the same HTPC. Is there a hack to increase the number of extenders from 4?

Susanna

Post by Susanna » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:44 am

I've had problems previously when the HTPC and extender were both connected wirelessly. Is there no possible way you can try the HTPC wired into the router?

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:41 pm

blueiedgod wrote:
lithium630 wrote:

I am interested in knowing how you have 5 extenders connected to the same HTPC. Is there a hack to increase the number of extenders from 4?
Media Center will allow 5 extenders running simultaneously. I have three xbox 360's and two Linksys DMA 2200's. I believe you can have more installed but you can only use 5 at a time. It's an artificial limit. I would love for someone to find a workaround for it.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:35 pm

lithium630 wrote: Media Center will allow 5 extenders running simultaneously. I have three xbox 360's and two Linksys DMA 2200's. I believe you can have more installed but you can only use 5 at a time. It's an artificial limit. I would love for someone to find a workaround for it.

Good to know, I thought it was only 4. Getting a TV for the basement excersise room and need to connect it to the system that already has 4 extenders and the TV connected directly to the HTPC.

Chances of all 5 TV's on at the same time are very slim, but we regularly have at least 3 TV's at the same time...

Ceolan

Post by Ceolan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:35 am

I have this same problem. I can't get the Media Centre Extender SERVICE started for Error 1079. Has anyone found a solution to this? It's obvious, since all other parts work both for three37 and myself, that the problem is in the SERVICE, not the connection.

Before anyone else adds more to the multitude of completely off-topic answers here, a service is not a network connection. The service not starting is an error on the machine upon which the service is supposed to run. It has nothing to do with the connection or attempt to connect. It is a problem, simply put, of the computer being unable to run the service. To repeat, this is a completely separate issue from being able to connect to a device via a network connection.

Each one the replies to date plainly shows either that none of you are actually paying attention to the post or you have no working technical knowledge of Windows at all. Even if the two devices are on the same network, even if they were directly connected to each other, and even if they can see each other, if this service is not running none of that matters.

Ceolan

Post by Ceolan » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:51 am

Perseverance wins out.

For anyone else who has this problem, this worked for me:
  • Run services.msc
    Locate "Media Centre Extender Service", open and go to the "Log On" tab.
    Change login credentials from "Local account" to "This account"
    Put "Local Service" in the account name and blank out both password fields.
    Click okay
    Start the Media Centre Extender Service. It should work just fine now.
If the above doesn't work for you, then I'm terribly sorry. It solved the problem of mine, and I'm fair certain it would solve the OP's problem, if he/she didn't already find the solution long ago.