Microsoft’s Mouse Without Borders Software Windows 8 Update

JazJon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Microsoft’s Mouse Without Borders Software Windows 8 Update

Post by JazJon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:29 am

http://connecteddigitalworld.com/2013/0 ... 8-support/

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=35460

"In a nutshell, it allows you to reach across your PC's as if they were part of one single desktop. I have two PCs on my desk at work connected to 3 LCD screens and using Mouse Without Borders I can move my mouse between the 3 screens, even though one of them is attached to a different PC from the other two. What’s more, I can move files between the 2 computers simply by dragging them from one desktop to another. In fact you can control up to four computers from a single mouse and keyboard with no extra hardware needed – it’s all software magic, developed by Truong Do who by day is a developed for Microsoft Dynamics. The software is easy to setup and in addition to enabling drag and drop of files, you can lock or log in to all PCs from one PC, and as a whimsical bonus is it allows you to customize your Windows logo screen with the daily image from Bing or a local collection of pictures :) I regularly use it to have one PC dedicated to social media streams while I work away on my other PC connected to two screens."

Video: http://youtu.be/MNFmXej7jEA

Might be nice to control your HTPC from your laptop etc. I'm going to give it a try. Synery (synergy-foss.org) is too buggy and crashes.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:08 am

Just tested it. Yup! Love it, you can still disable screen corners just like Syergy. It no longer locks up during UAC popups as well. It just keeps going and going. I like how I can control both machines from each's mouse now as well. I couldn't decide if I wanted to use the Microsoft Wedge BT Mouse or the Logitech Touch t400 Mouse for the HTPC vs my Laptop. Now I have both next to each other and can pick the one I want. Keyboard shares perfect. Copy and Paste is sweet. Bye Bye Synergy, Hello Mouse without borders.

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:01 am

mouse without borders has been a favourite of mine since it came out, i don't understand why it doesn't seem to be rated by most people

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:06 pm

I use mwb and I've been having "lag" problems lately. I upgraded versions to 2.1.2.1024, not sure if there is newer, without benefit. The mouse will refuse to move in a direction. I pull it to the home computer and go back and all is ok for a little while. I've looked for help, forums, etc. and found nothing. I tried a wired connection and cleaning out temp files as well.

Thoughts?

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:06 pm

i'm on 2.1.2.1212 and i believe it is supposed to fix the problems you are having. i have also experienced them but not been using the latest for long enough to confirm

makryger

Post by makryger » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:01 pm

Smart concept! Don't think I need it, but I like the idea.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:03 pm

Sweet! I did just notice the new version. I only upgraded a week or two ago. Now if only i had my laptop here.

I love mwb. Fun to screw with people too, if they borrow a machine.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:57 am

Same issue with new version. So sad....

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:46 am

wow, I have been using Input Director for years and never knew about this app. Thanks for the post. I just wish there were an Android phone app.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:02 pm

My lag issue seems fixed!

My wifi was acting squirrely for quite some time. I'd have to attach to the office wifi each time like I hadn't seen it before. I found the intel connection manager was running things, even though I (thought I) had disabled it way back when.

I re-disabled it and viola, things work right again.

Very happy to have my MWB back.