Port Forwarding

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
Socketman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Port Forwarding

Post by Socketman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:10 am

I have 2 PC's - PC-1 and PC-2. MMC shows #1 as having external IP address l xxx.xxx.191.237 which matches what is shown in the status of my Router. MMC shows #2 having IP address xxx.xxx.253.42 . In the router setup I have opened port 5832. Using a port forwarding tester PC #1 shows 5832 to be open ,I also tested port 80 and it is open. When I test PC #2 it shows port 80 open , but port 5832 closed. I can only assume that the router is spoofing the IP for PC #2 , how can I open 5832 for PC #2. If I use the port forward test in the MMC service app it works on PC #1 but not PC #2.

Hopefully this make sense, any questions ask away.

This is stupid, my phone and my kobo reader and my laptop my win 7 computer all show the same external ip, but my win8 computer has a different one.

//Motz: Edited out ips

Socketman

Post by Socketman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Quick update. If i check my ip oon my windows 8 computer using google chrome it shows the correct external ip address. Maybe Motz can tell me if IE is used by the ceton service in any way. I have tried different security settings etc in IE and no change still shows incorrect external ip.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:06 pm

Socketman wrote:Quick update. If i check my ip oon my windows 8 computer using google chrome it shows the correct external ip address. Maybe Motz can tell me if IE is used by the ceton service in any way. I have tried different security settings etc in IE and no change still shows incorrect external ip.
From previous discussions, I'm pretty sure that the Ceton Service reaches out to a specific URL on a Ceton server, which returns the address that it sees the connection coming from.

I can't think of any obvious reaosn why your would get two different answers from two different machines on your network, but I will point out that if the addresses were correct, you would have to use a different port to access the 2nd one. (Technically, you could leave both clients on 5832, and then point port 5832 on the router at 5832 on the 1st PC, and port 5833 on the router at port 5832 on the 2nd PC, but it's sometimes more reliable to set up the 2nd PC to use 5833 (or some other port).

So I'd suggest you just ignore the unexplained external IP address that you're getting on the Win8 machine, and just set it to use a unique port, and then configure 2 rules on your router, and then test from outside your network using the known good IP address, and the 2 unique ports.

Socketman

Post by Socketman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:04 pm

.Ok i will set the port different in the ceton config and see what happens.

Actually i get 4 correct answers and 1 incorrect answer for my external ip. Also the ceton app on my android reports my win8 machine as having 2 external ip addresses 1xxx.xxx.253.44 and xxx.xxx.253.42 and both connect to the ceton service.Also seems puzzling that the win8 machine will report the correct ip as all my other machines if i use google chrome browser. I will continue to ponder this thanks for your help so far. I have another ssd on its way and will install a fresh windows 8 and see what happens.

//motz: edited out ips

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Yep what @foxwood said is correct you need to put them on different ports as your router will not know how to direct traffic. Also don't post your ips :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Socketman

Post by Socketman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:11 pm

So i did as suggested and the results were not what i had hoped. If i check the ports from google chrome which reports my correct external ip,it shows the ports open that i configured on my router.Now i am no network expert but i am not new either and this is just beyond strange. I think i may have something running that is messing with my computer that i am not aware of. I will do some more checking and see but i think i will wait and see hwat happens on a fresh install for comparison sake.

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Oh actually i don't think i read it correctly.....

So here is what I could do to get it working:

PC 1:
Internal Port: 5832
External Port: 5832
Router: Point 5832 to PC 1s IP

PC 2:
Internal Port: 5833
External Port: 5833
Router: Point 5833 to PC2s IP

this should work.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:41 pm

Motz wrote: Router: Point 5832 to PC 1s IP
Router: Point 5833 to PC2s IP
Just to clarify - this should be the LAN IP - 192.168.whatever, not the external IP.

Socketman

Post by Socketman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:04 pm

exactly what i did. Even both my networked avr's show the correct external ip, but both the ceton configuration program and Internet explorer report an incorrect external ip. I know it is hard to visualize when you are not sitting at the machine and getting the info second hand..

Just for reference ,I have done quite a bit of port forwarding over the years for online games and xbox's etc so it is not new to me. What is new is the fact htat this computer returns a different external ip. I will keep you posted as things develope.

Socketman

Post by Socketman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:58 pm

i am at work right now and i can get on to my windows 7 machine using the 199.xxx.xxx.237 and access my media from my android . I can not connect to the win8 machine with the weirdo external ip .
Last edited by Socketman on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:01 pm

Socketman wrote:i am at work right now and i can get on to my windows 7 machine using the 199.247.xxx.237 and access my media . I can not connect to the win8 machine with the weirdo external ip .
That's because your home router isn't using that weirdo IP. Connect to 199.247.xxx.237 on port 5833 (or whetver you set for the second PC), and you should be connected to your second PC.

Socketman

Post by Socketman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:10 pm

hi foxwood ,thanks for all the help. I edited PC 2's address in my MMC app on my phone and it still doesnt connect to the server. I will have to double check my router after i get home from work but i made to routes at lunch. One for the ip of computer1 and another for computer 2.Ah rats, i just realized that my pc is sleeping.

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:18 pm

It is actually pretty odd that you have 2 external IPs. This doesn't make any sense at all. In the my media center apps the external IPs should be the same, but ports different.

Do you have multiple NICs on on of your PCs?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Socketman

Post by Socketman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:39 pm

Thanx for acknowledging that Motz ,it is definitely not right that i get a different external ip. The windows 8 computer only has one nic and static ip address . I think we should wait till i put the new Hd in and try it with a fresh install unless i find a program hiding on my system that shouldn't be there. When the mmc phone app finds my win8 pc it actually finds 2 external ip,s 199.2xx .253.42 and 199.2xx.253.44 and it shows up twice in the app.

Not sure wtf but i text my kid to turn on my pc and i logged in using 199.247.xxx.237:5833 yet the MMC app shows the weirdo ip on port 5833. Maybe this is part of windows 8 heightened security . Whatever LOL,its working now thanks for all the support.

Socketman

Post by Socketman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 am

Ok so I am at home now and looked around to see if I could find some answers. I decided to sign up at the Forums on Shark007 and it said I could not sign up using a proxy server. Does this shed any light on this weirdness. How would I know if I had a proxy server running. I used google chrome and was able to sign up.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:05 am

By default, IE will use a proxy auto-discovery mechanism. Open a command prompt and type ping wpad

If the hostname wpad resolves to an IP address, then your ISP may be running a proxy that IE is using, but Chrome isn't. There are much more efficient ways to set up proxies, though, so if that test works, it's more likely to be an old experiment that wasn't cleaned up than an ongoing service.

Socketman

Post by Socketman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:51 am

tonight I installed a fresh copy of windows 8 on another drive. On first boot checked my ip and it was 199.xxx,253,44. I then installed windows 7 and on first boot it delivered 199.xxx.253.44. Went and got my laptop with win7 on it hooked it to the network cable from win 8 computer and it returned 199.247.xxx.237 same as the router config shows and all my other devices show. Seems to be related to the network card.

did the ping wpad test and it came back as a.219.g.internorth.net (216.108.1.219) what does it mean.

4 smartphones, a kobo ,a venture ,1 desktop,1 laptop all return 199.247.xxx.237 only this one computer comes back as xxx.xxx.253.44
I have been in the current house 5 years first time I have seen this on any of my systems.

I can log in to the win8 pc using 199.247.xxx.237:5833 both from home and from my work network.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Socketman wrote: did the ping wpad test and it came back as a.219.g.internorth.net (216.108.1.219) what does it mean.
What do you get if you try the same ping on the other machines?

If you type ipconfig /all at a command prompt, one of the fields displayed should be the domain name. The proxy auto-discovery process looks for proxy rules at http://wpad.

I can't think of any obvious reason why you'd be getting a different domain name on one machine after a clean OS install, but based on what little information I have, I think the DHCP process on your router is doing something odd.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:22 pm

Just looked at your screenshot, and the domain specified is your ISP, so by default DHCP clients will be using your ISPs domain name, and proxy auto-discovery will find your ISPs proxy server by default.

Are you using DHCP on all your PCs?

Socketman

Post by Socketman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:51 pm

All my machines have a static ip address, the router is dhcp and i reserve all address by MAC. The only reason the router is dhcp is because my Denon reciever likes it like that and it is working fine aside from this odditty. I tried a wireless usb stick last night and it did the same thing so it doesnt appear to be hardware related. Something i tried the this morning was validate my network setting after configuring my static ip address and windows reported it could not resolve my dns which i have set to google public servers 8.8.8.8. which is the same dns all my devices use. I then tried it using my isp's dns but still the same weird external ip. I will try pinging wpad on my other machines and compare the results. The interesting part for me is that i can connect to the win 8 pc using the 199.247xxx.237 on port 5833. I am now running a fresh install of windows 8 on my ssd as of last night with no change. I think your correct that its on my isp's end and i goin to try a release of the ip to them and see if i can get a different one. I will do more testing this evening after work. will take some screen shots of ipconfig/all and wpad