DRM for Dummies

mike_b

HTPC Specs: Show details

DRM for Dummies

Post by mike_b » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Hi,

I saw a post in the Comskip forum stating that support for Windows 7 Media Center wtv files is now in beta. I've used Comskip in SageTV for a long time and was thinking of trying Media Center with Comskip. First off, let me say that I know very little about DRM. From what I've understand, SageTV recordings do not have DRM and Comskip processes the files with no problem. I've read that if a show is recorded with DRM, as in Media Center, it will restrict programs like Comskip from processing the commercials. Is this true? I would like to try Media Center, but I need 100% commercial skipping functionality, preferably with Comskip. What's the scoop on this DRM business?

makryger

Post by makryger » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:30 am

What you are able to do with your recordings depends on depends on the flag that is set by your cable company. The local channels(abc, cbs, nbc, fox, cw, pbs) will most likely be unprotected no matter what. Some companies (like Time Warner) set most of their stuff as copy protected. Other companies only set the premium channels (starz, hbo, showtime) to copy protected. You can check this out for some examples: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... p?f=6&t=65

Anyways, the stuff that isn't copy-protected can be comm-skipped.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

mike_b

Post by mike_b » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:35 am

Thank you for the information. I only record from an over-the-air antenna so it sounds like there shouldn't be any problem using Comskip with Windows 7 Media Center. I'll give it a try when wtv support is available with Comskip, which should be in the near future http://www.kaashoek.com/comskip/viewtop ... 1&start=16

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:58 pm

You'll be fine. DRM is only applied to cablecard in Windows Media Center. Clear QAM and analog signals including HD-PVR and i assme Colosus as well will no be flagged.
Greg

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:30 pm

And THAT'S why SageTV didn't have any issues with DRM - no cable card support!
Mike

winterescape

Post by winterescape » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:33 pm

Wow this is fantastic news! I use comskip now with 7MC however the process to set this up is not easy.