Echo recovery

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
RealCodeGuy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo recovery

Post by RealCodeGuy » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:34 pm

The same Echo that has flaked out before is now in the same bad state as it was before the recovery.

Does anyone know if the Echo has been recovered once, if the MAC address is still on the Ceton servers so it can be recovered again without contacting support?

Thanks.

Bill

Post by Bill » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:49 pm

i would contact them again. sometimes they have to re-authorize the MAC.
HTPCs, InfiniTVs, and Extenders OH MY!

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:03 am

That seems like a flawed model. Why should I have to contact support to restore a device to factory defaults? Seems like they could offer a public web service or something to allow me to restore on my own.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:09 am

TFTP would be nice. Not sure if the masses would be interested in that though.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:27 am

The Echo with a mind of it's own locked up today. When I rebooted it, it went into recovery mode and has been stuck there for a long while. Has anybody ever seen an Echo go into recovery mode on it's own?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:13 pm

RealCodeGuy wrote:That seems like a flawed model. Why should I have to contact support to restore a device to factory defaults? Seems like they could offer a public web service or something to allow me to restore on my own.
Yeah, I was thinking that too. Maybe something like backup previous image to USB or network, prior to updating.

Anybody know what the USB slot on the back of the Echo is used for?

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:41 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Anybody know what the USB slot on the back of the Echo is used for?
According to erkotz in http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =69&t=3657 it should support USB IR recievers.
erkotz wrote:The Echo should support any official Windows Media Center IR receiver via it's USB port, so that is your best bet. .... ....
motz mentioned that they will have a list of officially supported devices
Motz wrote:We are going to be compiling a full list of all tested and recommended accessories for the echo. As soon as I have that link I will post it for you guys and probably make a thread on it.
Unfortunately there are still issues as the above thread shows.

I dont think that those are a high priority comparted to the other issues that some are having with the echo.. so give them time for these "extras"...
Time is on my side.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:28 pm

My Zotac AD10 with the free 64gig SSD showed up and oddly enough, the included remote was almost identical to the Echo remote. It also included a USB IR adapter so I bet that it will work with the Echo... although I haven't tried yet. I was so impressed with how well the Zotac played HD video, I ordered the Intel version (Zotac ID61) with 8gig and a free 64 SSD for only $20 more.

As far as the original topic of the thread, I tried the recovery process on the crippled Echo but it hangs when contacting Ceton servers. I've submitted an official support ticket so hopefully I'll get it back in service soon.

Ticket ID: MZA-721-79508

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:25 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
RealCodeGuy wrote:That seems like a flawed model. Why should I have to contact support to restore a device to factory defaults? Seems like they could offer a public web service or something to allow me to restore on my own.
Yeah, I was thinking that too. Maybe something like backup previous image to USB or network, prior to updating.

Anybody know what the USB slot on the back of the Echo is used for?
To be perfectly honest, a lot of products nowadays add USB ports just because, without a specific goal in mind. USB is "good enough" to be used for pretty much any sort of future expansion we could dream up. I wouldn't even say we had a specific purpose in mind when it was added, as much as we more or less got it "for free" as the hardware already supported it. Today, USB IR receivers and USB keyboards should work. In the future it COULD (not saying we necessarily have intentions of supporting these, just that they are examples of potential things) support USB flash drives, InfiniTV tuners directly, Mice, 802.11ac adapters, MoCA adapters, gaming controllers, etc.

RealCodeGuy wrote:My Zotac AD10 with the free 64gig SSD showed up and oddly enough, the included remote was almost identical to the Echo remote. It also included a USB IR adapter so I bet that it will work with the Echo... although I haven't tried yet. I was so impressed with how well the Zotac played HD video, I ordered the Intel version (Zotac ID61) with 8gig and a free 64 SSD for only $20 more.

As far as the original topic of the thread, I tried the recovery process on the crippled Echo but it hangs when contacting Ceton servers. I've submitted an official support ticket so hopefully I'll get it back in service soon.

Ticket ID: MZA-721-79508
I just enabled your unit for a recovery
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:16 pm

Recovery successful. Thank you.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:24 am

Well this is a drag. Just a couple weeks later and the same Echo needs to be recovered again. I think I'm going to get Newegg to replace it as none of my others behave like this and it's a pain to mess with recovery every couple weeks.