FW 2012.1219.1030

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:32 pm

fiteclub wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:The world didn't end. I made it back.

So there you have it, for me off/on off/on causes HDCP error. Dual monitor setup one HDMI, one VGA.
Thanks for doing that. :) I have a ticket running with Ceton and they asked for a diagnostic sent after seeing the bad behavior. Have not heard back yet.
It wouldn't surprise me if my VGA monitor is contributing to the issue.

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:23 pm

Notice frame rate isssues periodically, especially Sunday watching Sunday Night Football, ran fine for a while and then got the frame rate issue. Even normal TV with some rapid movement (i.e. X-Files movie) had issues.

JAS

Post by JAS » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:11 am

I just received my first echo. It appears to have come with 2012.1219.1030 and reports that no updates are available. While I can get it to work, it green screens every bootup after the Ceton logo. I can get it to work by switching the source and back on my Onkyo receiver or on my Samsung DLP TV (1080i). However, I only get 720p. Putting it in 1080p or Native has no effect, it always ends up being 720p. And don't get any options to set the Echo to 1080i@60. How do I force the Echo to function in 1080i@60hz?

Also, as a note, ifr extender works, except at first I didn't realize it doesn't automatically doesn't disable the internal infared receiver. This caused some frustration as it would crash the Ceton while scrolling through channels, etc. Dead giveaway was when scrolling it would skip two positions. Any way to have the internal ifr disable if you have an external USB unit plugged in?

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:55 pm

For the external USB IR that you plug in right now it doesn't turn anything off. I will talk to the guys to see if it is possible. You could either mount the echo somewhere, or put some tape over the IR receiver on the echo...

Interesting about it causing crashes though I will have the guys test that out to ensure it is handled properly.

As for 1080i@60hz that is not currently a setting. 720p/1080p will do the scaling of content to that resolution. Native will output whatever the content being sent is. So some channels might be 720p or 1080 it all just depends. If you have it plugged into your onkyo it could well be doing all the processing already and no matter what we send it it is outputting to a specific resolution.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

JAS

Post by JAS » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:02 pm

Motz wrote:For the external USB IR that you plug in right now it doesn't turn anything off. I will talk to the guys to see if it is possible. You could either mount the echo somewhere, or put some tape over the IR receiver on the echo...

Interesting about it causing crashes though I will have the guys test that out to ensure it is handled properly.

As for 1080i@60hz that is not currently a setting. 720p/1080p will do the scaling of content to that resolution. Native will output whatever the content being sent is. So some channels might be 720p or 1080 it all just depends. If you have it plugged into your onkyo it could well be doing all the processing already and no matter what we send it it is outputting to a specific resolution.
What the IR does with both internal and external functioning aside from making navigation difficult (skips 2 places) is in Recorded TV, for example, if you move around you recordings it will actually type random characters on the screen as if you were using a keyboard. Majority of the time I saw it crash was when scrolling down threw TV channels especially if I held down the down button.

Can 1080i@60hz be made as an option to force all content to be converted to the TV in that format? The Onkyo is an older SR803 so it doesn't process (upscale) and the Samsung DLP support 1080i@60 max. So far, this is the first device that I can't get to output in 1080i@60hz. The PS3 has no issues running at 1080i, my HTPC doesn't either full time, etc. I'll play with it more but have yet to be successful in going beyond 720p. Even my wife noticed the quality difference last night when watching a TV recording so that tells me a lot.

Right now, I like the way the unit works consistantly once up and running (wife friendly) except for the 'green screen' after the 'Ceton' logo on bootup (NOT wife friendly.. esepcially when the 6 year old was trying to teach her to toggle sources to fix it).

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:25 pm

We are working on adding in the 1080i as an output as well so hopefully in a future update.

As for the green screen issues we are working hard on the as well. We fixed a lot of them with the .19 update, but there are still some HDCP issues with some tvs and receivers. We have a lot of internal testing against tons of different receivers so hopefully that will be all fixed up in the next firmware update. Sorry for the inconvenience.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

JAS

Post by JAS » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:27 pm

So, going straight from the Echo to the Samsumg DLP, I get the following results.

NO 'green screen' on bootup after the 'Ceton' logo - This is good, looks like the Echo handshake with the Onkyo between the 'Ceton' logo screen and 'connecting' screen is causing the green screen. I noticed the Onkyo clicks between the two screens as it typically does for an audio/res change. Perhaps this is where the handshake falls apart and the Echo needs to resend another? Key here is what's happening between the logo screen and connect screen. Which brings me to...

Ceton Logo screen is always 720p@60 no matter what I choose in Echo video. If I choose 480p, AFTER the log comes up it will switch to 480p and the remainder it will stay in 480p.

Now if I choose 1080p, it just remains in 720p@60 no matter what the content. If I choose Native, it also remains in 720p@60. It never even attempts to switch to 1080i@60 for 1080 content.