Why does MS seem to want to kill MC?

JD07

HTPC Specs: Show details

Why does MS seem to want to kill MC?

Post by JD07 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:49 am

Given MS's lack of development of MC, and the removal in Win 8 of things like the option to boot straight to MC (yes there are work arounds for that but ...I find it hard not to feel like MS is determined to let MC die. Does everyone have the same feeling?

I just don't understand why MS would abandon MC given all the work they've clearly done in the past to develop it. If MC hasn't been a big hit with users it's not because it's no good, it's because (a) good MC hardware boxes haven't been available (I built my own as I'm sure a lot of people reading AMCC will have done, but that's hardly going to appeal to the masses), (B) to be the basis for a "consumer device", it needs to be VERY stable (but 7MC was a huge step in the right direction there, and so far so good with 8MC), and © MS has produced 95% of a great piece of software but not quite finished it. For me, at least, the missing 5% of the software is better support for internet radio (in Australia it needs a plug-in like mcShoutcast ... doesn't it?), support for DAB/DAB+ (the point of MC is for it to control ALL media - TV/radio/internet/physical disc), and a few little finishing touches like a screen dimmer, a good sleep timer (so you can set it to turn off and put the computer to sleep after a certain time) and alarm clock. Perhaps they seem like such little features to MS that they're not worth worrying about, but I reckon a lot of average users would really value them!

And lastly, doesn't it seem MS is missing a great opportunity here? The modern/metro UI seems to lend itself to making apps which could work really well on MC (ie on a TV screen, using an MC remote). For a start, couldn't Win 8 "apps" show up in MC's "extras"? No doubt it would work better with some apps than others, but it would be a start. Anyone know if this could be done easily?

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:51 am

They don't make money from it.... Take power DVD as an example £60+ just to play blu ray. I got 2 w8 OS for less, hopefully "apps" will come from the enthusiast community ala mediabrowser. Apparently w8 is easy to code for? I wouldn't know but I do hope so!
Lee

Danno100

Post by Danno100 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:14 pm

Media Center (MC) always had a limited market. Who wants a computer (I had 2) in their family room for that new 60" screen? XBOX (I had 2) as an extender; too complicated, power hungry, ugly and noisy. It also needs a premium account to use Netflix, etc.

Recording TV in MC has always been a pain because of encryption. Cableco's and studio's don't want you recording TV or ripping movies. Lobbyists worked hard on MS to limit functionality. App market in MC; all but dead.

Now we have Win 8, MC all but killed (slow death instead of making the decision easy). I paid for Win 8 upgrade, it failed to install twice. Win 8 for business; dead.

After using MS products since the mid-80's, and MC for over 10 years, my solution was simple; Apple. Integration throughout their product line is fantastic.

[Moderator note: comments about the XBox have been moved to here: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=8&t=3781]
Home Theater/Automation Enthusiast

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:50 pm

JD07 wrote:... a few little finishing touches like a screen dimmer, a good sleep timer (so you can set it to turn off and put the computer to sleep after a certain time) and alarm clock.
I use Media Center Sleep Timer. It works just fine. I even programmed my remote to send an IR code that triggers an event in EventGhost so that you can press ONE button on the remote to set the sleep time.

As for a screen dimmer... uh... it already has a screen saver. And, on extenders, it dims too.

Alarm clock? Buy a cheap digital alarm clock.

trooper11

Post by trooper11 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Danno100 wrote: After using MS products since the mid-80's, and MC for over 10 years, my solution was simple; Apple. Integration throughout their product line is fantastic.

Unfortunately that solution wont work for my media needs. Integration is good, but they are severely lacking in local media support across their product lines. I am hoping that MS' push to integration results in a better ecosystem for my needs across these devices. It doesn't have to come from MS directly either. I'm perfectly happy using 3rd party apps as long as MS provides a framework that allows 3rd parties to do the job.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:09 pm

trooper11 wrote:
Danno100 wrote: After using MS products since the mid-80's, and MC for over 10 years, my solution was simple; Apple. Integration throughout their product line is fantastic.

Unfortunately that solution wont work for my media needs. Integration is good, but they are severely lacking in local media support across their product lines. I am hoping that MS' push to integration results in a better ecosystem for my needs across these devices. It doesn't have to come from MS directly either. I'm perfectly happy using 3rd party apps as long as MS provides a framework that allows 3rd parties to do the job.
What?!?!? You don't like paying Apple a recurring fee to have access to your content? :lol:

Funny thing... when I got smart phones for the entire family last Christmas, my wife wanted the iPhone 4S. The rest of us got Android phones. Now, she wants to replace the iPhone with an Android at the end of our 2-year contract (when we can get more phones for free/cheap). She doesn't like the fact that she can't simply plug an SD card into her phone to store her media... she needs to pay Apple for access to the iCloud instead. The iPhone is so locked-down that it's hard to understand why anyone besides a technically illiterate person would want one.

I'm happy with my Android. I might look at WP7 or WP8 when my contract renews next November... but I'll probably just stick with Android.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:24 pm

barnabas1969 wrote: The iPhone is so locked-down that it's hard to understand why anyone besides a technically illiterate person would want one.
That's the point though. I appreciate Apple for what they are - easy to use/OOBE technology. Plus their cross device integration is bar-none. 'Legacy' product support/product lifespan sucks though IMO.

Truth be told, it won't replace my Media Center, but I'd buy an Apple TV the day they add apps.

NWW

Post by NWW » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:41 pm

In my opinion, Microsoft should do the following:

It should forget about WMC as we know it. And it already has. But what MS should do is integrate the Live TV + Recording to the Video App. Currently, in the video app, there is the option to rent/buy stuff, and play our local stuff.

MS could add another pane showcasing programs that are airing, or will air soon. From there, we can have access to the guide, and set program to record. Said programs will have rich metadata, tying deeply inside the app. Let's say I want to watch The Dark Knight Rises. I launch the Video App, search for the movie, and I can see: Rent it, Buy it, or Record it (and it will record when it airs). Same for TV shows, with Season/episode data.

All of the TV stuff (movies/tv shows) will be added to the "My Videos" pane, organised as : TV Shows, Movies, Documentaries, Other. But this library also let's us add our own stuff (be it downloaded, or ripped), so that we can mix-mash local, recorded, or rented, or bought! And of course, MKV, subs, etc all supported. Smartglass as well.

Now, the killer part would be, other devices integration. Through Skydrive, I can access through the web my movies/recorded shows. Through smartglass, I can play live TV on whatever device I want (every device becomes an extender), browse the guide, centralized recordings, play on the tablet. And, with the new Xbox coming, even play on that. With Windows RT, MS could even license it to TV manufacturers, and even TV will be able to join the fun. Or, for families that aren't as tech savvy as we are, let the TV act as an HTPC. Because with Win RT, TV Catchup apps are possible. Music, and Photos is already taken care of.

That's what is missing from Microsoft! So if anyone has contact with engineers at the Xbox Video team, push them to innovate!

(I could also add support for DVB-C, native support for CAM's, IPTV, whole mux access, etc, but I'm getting ahead of myself)

Anyways, I'm dreaming to much. But looking at my Surface RT, that's the functionality that's missing. And it would even give Apple a run for it's money.

trooper11

Post by trooper11 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:14 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
trooper11 wrote: What?!?!? You don't like paying Apple a recurring fee to have access to your content? :lol:

Funny thing... when I got smart phones for the entire family last Christmas, my wife wanted the iPhone 4S. The rest of us got Android phones. Now, she wants to replace the iPhone with an Android at the end of our 2-year contract (when we can get more phones for free/cheap). She doesn't like the fact that she can't simply plug an SD card into her phone to store her media... she needs to pay Apple for access to the iCloud instead. The iPhone is so locked-down that it's hard to understand why anyone besides a technically illiterate person would want one.

I'm happy with my Android. I might look at WP7 or WP8 when my contract renews next November... but I'll probably just stick with Android.
Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about it. I was leaning towards Android at one point, but now heavily considering WP8. I like that I can still get things like SD card support and such while also getting integrated experiences across my other MS devices. Android is still the most open when it comes to modding and such, but I'm not after that for a smartphone.

Also, once your heavily invested into an ecosystem, its very hard to justify changing. So if your heavily into Android via app purchases, integrating your content via their services, its tough to justify starting from scratch with a new ecosystem such as WP.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:16 pm

@NWW that sounds lovely but its kinda if my auntie had a d#ck she'd be my uncle.
I've given up hoping for Microsoft to integrate anything and pinned my hopes on community apps like media browser to push w8 forward...
Lee

trooper11

Post by trooper11 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:16 pm

NWW wrote:In my opinion, Microsoft should do the following:

It should forget about WMC as we know it. And it already has. But what MS should do is integrate the Live TV + Recording to the Video App. Currently, in the video app, there is the option to rent/buy stuff, and play our local stuff.
I agree 100%

If they could pull this off, it would go a long way to satisfying our needs htpc wise. If MS is unable/unwilling, then maybe a 3rd party dev can, but it would be nice to see MS make the effort.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:38 pm

milli260876 wrote:@NWW that sounds lovely but its kinda if my auntie had a d#ck she'd be my uncle.
Best laugh all day. Thanks.

NWW

Post by NWW » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:39 pm

xD Thanks for the laugh!

But in all seriousness, With Google and Apple circling back to the TV, have MS dropping it is foolish. That's why I hope they'll get it right.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:31 pm

NWW wrote:But in all seriousness, With Google and Apple circling back to the TV, have MS dropping it is foolish. That's why I hope they'll get it right.
Apple and Google don't care about, and aren't likely to care about "traditional" TV (either broadcast or delivered by cable). They're both trying to cater for a new market, online streaming, preferably pay as you go. Time spent watching "traditional" TV is time you don't have to watch content bought from the Google or Apple stores, or funded by ads that Google or Apple manage.

Media Center does a great job of handling "traditional TV". But it's not obvious how Microsoft can use that to leverage a significant revenue stream - you can be sure that the cable operators aren't interested in sharing any of their $60/month with Microsoft, so how does Microsoft leverage it's obvious strength in "traditional TV" without discouraging people from spending time with "new media" that MS can make money from?

That's leaving aside the cost of video rentals from MS - $4.49 versus $1.99 on Amazon for a recent Pixar offering versus $1.25 from Redbox. From a brief check, all Movie Rentals in the XBox Video store, which is part of Windows 8, start at $4.49.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:36 pm

I just double-checked, and I only paid $1.99 to watch Brave on Amazon Instant Video over Thanksgiving, but it's now $3.99 on Amazon, and it's also $3.99 in the Google Play store, versus $4.49 from Microsoft, and $1.25 from Redbox.