Classic Shell/Start 8: Can we use these to start WMC?

Sjchmura

HTPC Specs: Show details

Classic Shell/Start 8: Can we use these to start WMC?

Post by Sjchmura » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:49 pm

So...

There are now many freeware apps like Classic Shell, Pikki, etc and the $5 stardoc that will
1. Start in desktop mode
2. Disable charms etc.

So has anyone tried to use these to start the machine with Media Center launching and not need to click through Metro?

pduncan1963

Post by pduncan1963 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:05 pm

Yes. I have Start8 (purchased) and run media center. You will need to pin Media Center to the desktop to have easy access to it. Once installed it's on the Metro Start screen but not the desktop.

Sjchmura

Post by Sjchmura » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:36 pm

pduncan1963 wrote:Yes. I have Start8 (purchased) and run media center. You will need to pin Media Center to the desktop to have easy access to it. Once installed it's on the Metro Start screen but not the desktop.
SO you have START8, you drop the shortcup from the desktop mode into the Startup folder, and it just "works" - right?

Why do you need to Pin Windwos MCE to the Metro interface if STart8 launches desktop and bypasses metrO?

scyto

Post by scyto » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:01 am

There are a variety of ways to do it.

This is mine FWIW

I configured windows to auto logon to my liveID
I the have the app send desktop.exe as a scheduled logon task. See here http://www.7tutorials.com/how-boot-desk ... art-screen
Then in my startup folder I have a .CMD file with start /max %windir%\ehome\ehshell

I use this .CMD file because just putting the link in the startup folder resulted in ehshell open with the task bar on top.

Silversee

Post by Silversee » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:44 am

It's not as big a deal as you may think. For the infrequent times you find yourself at the Start screen after a reboot, you can just press the Green Button on the remote... You can also use the remote to navigate the Start screen and launch the WMC tile directly, and this can be made simpler if you unpin most things from the Start screen. Extender use is not affected either way, as there is no need for a local console session.