Echo Freezing & Crashing Issues

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
radams

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo Freezing & Crashing Issues

Post by radams » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:47 pm

so it arrived. and it crashes after 2 minutes of use every single time. aside from that, it's great.

it freezes wherever it is (playback or menu) and wont respond until i reboot. crap.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:16 am

radams wrote:it freezes wherever it is (playback or menu) and wont respond until i reboot. crap.
Reboot the PC, or reboot the Echo?
Can you ping it when it's frozen? Do you have a copy of the Ceton Companion app? (In other words, is it a problem with your remote, or a prolem with the Echo itself?)

radams

Post by radams » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:27 am

foxwood wrote:
radams wrote:it freezes wherever it is (playback or menu) and wont respond until i reboot. crap.
Can you ping it when it's frozen? Do you have a copy of the Ceton Companion app? (In other words, is it a problem with your remote, or a prolem with the Echo itself?)
i reboot the echo. actually, after waiting a minute, after it freezes, the echo reboots itself. and then comes back. i can ping it the whole time. a couple times, my computer shut down unexpectedly while this was going on. it's a newer i5 CPU and i think there's 8GB of RAM in it, so i doubt it's a resource problem.

Would having something like "my channel logos" or "RecordedTVHD" potentially screw everything up here?

radams

Post by radams » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:32 am

radams wrote:
foxwood wrote:
i reboot the echo. actually, after waiting a minute, after it freezes, the echo reboots itself. and then comes back. i can ping it the whole time. a couple times, my computer shut down unexpectedly while this was going on. it's a newer i5 CPU and i think there's 8GB of RAM in it, so i doubt it's a resource problem.

Would having something like "my channel logos" or "RecordedTVHD" potentially screw everything up here?
another update...it seems like if i boot it up, and go right to live TV, it will run fine indefinitely UNTIL i hit seemingly any button on the remote (the echo remote or an old WMC remote).

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:20 pm

Radams, can you install the settings plugin and then try to send us a diagnostic and open a ticket? http://cetoncorp.com/echo-settings-plugin/

Thanks.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

radams

Post by radams » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:45 pm

Motz wrote:Radams, can you install the settings plugin and then try to send us a diagnostic and open a ticket? http://cetoncorp.com/echo-settings-plugin/

Thanks.
i ran the diagnostic tool last night, but i don't know how you would link it to my echo (i could send my IP address, if that would help). i opened a support ticket already. i can't do anything else until i get home later tonight. i also mentioned it on AVS (i think you visit there, too) to see if anyone could help, so apologies for the gratuitous spam.

when i first booted the echo, it immediately rebooted itself right after it showed the 8 digit extender key for a couple seconds. then i saw the Ceton logo, with a progress bar at the bottom of the screen. Was this likely the firmware update running automatically? when i went into the "update" section of the plugin, nothing showed up.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:13 pm

We can link it to your Echo by MAC address (shows up on the boot screen of the Echo) - please include that in your ticket.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:35 pm

radams wrote:i reboot the echo. actually, after waiting a minute, after it freezes, the echo reboots itself. and then comes back. i can ping it the whole time. a couple times, my computer shut down unexpectedly while this was going on. it's a newer i5 CPU and i think there's 8GB of RAM in it, so i doubt it's a resource problem.
Whoa - if your PC is doing random reboots, then that's where I'd look for the problem. The fact that you have 8GB of RAM also suggests that the problem might be a RAM problem - the Extender session is causing your PC to use more RAM, and the Extender session might be using a section of RAM that has a physical problem.

Download a liveCD of Memtest86 or Memtest86+ and boot the PC off the CD and let it run for an hour or two to test the RAM.

Maybe you got a bad Echo, but that shouldn't have caused a crash on the PC.

Motz

Post by Motz » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:03 pm

@radams the bar means there is a firmware update occuring. After it finishes it will launch and let you configure it.

If you ran the diagnostic on the echo from the settings plugin mark the reference number that comes up and include that in the ticket as well so we can track it.

Another question is how are you plugging in the power? are you using the provided usb power cord and power adapter?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

radams

Post by radams » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Motz wrote:@radams the bar means there is a firmware update occuring. After it finishes it will launch and let you configure it.

If you ran the diagnostic on the echo from the settings plugin mark the reference number that comes up and include that in the ticket as well so we can track it.

Another question is how are you plugging in the power? are you using the provided usb power cord and power adapter?
yeah, i'm using the supplied usb cord and adapter. i'll update my ticket tonight with the mac address and reference number

jmag999

Post by jmag999 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:04 am

Looks like I am having similar problems. I was able to get it connected and recognized by WMC. The first time it made it to the main menu and then seemed to be frozen. I rebooted a few times and was able to move the main menu up and down using the remote before a crash. The third boot I was able to view the guide and tune a channel but about 10s into the show it froze and the audio started stuttering. I have 2 units but have only tried one so far. I hope this can be resolved soon as I would prefer this solution over an xbox, but so far I am not impressed.

bytestorm

Post by bytestorm » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:59 pm

I was having this problem too. Installed the Ceton Echo Settings tool, and submitted the diagnostics. Unfortunately the ID for this submission disappeared before I could get something to write with.

One thing so far though, I went into the video settings, and I changed the Video option from Auto to 1080p, and so far, no freeze. Been about 30 minutes.

Edit:: Typed that too soon, sigh. Submitting a support ticket

Jclausing

Post by Jclausing » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:21 am

Same boat here. Got it set up, media center recognized and went through it's setup. Booted into the menu then froze up. Rebooted, would then freeze at menu giving me the code to input into the Media Center PC (don't know why it made me go through this step a second time since it worked the first). Now after rebooting it is stuck at the Ceton logo saying "recovering". Guess I'm going to leave it sit at that for a while and see if comes back to life. Defintely not quick and easy like it seems like it should be... I certainly hope it works as advertised once it actually works.

**update** after sitting there for 45 minutes displaying "recovering", the unit turned off. I rebooted and am back at the Ceton logo with "recovering" again.

mskenny

Post by mskenny » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:43 pm

Jclausing wrote: **update** after sitting there for 45 minutes displaying "recovering", the unit turned off. I rebooted and am back at the Ceton logo with "recovering" again.
Having the same problem. It started and gave me the pairing code which I entered on my WMC machine. I got an error in WMC but went I looked at the extender it seemed to have paired but it seemed frozen. I pulled the plug and rebooted and now I only get the "recovering" message.

I thought it was frozen because it didn't respond to the remote. It turns out that the remote batteries weren't inserted correctly because the polarity indicators in the remote say "+" next to both battery spots. I later saw the Ceton website where it showed that the top battery should have the "-" side up. That's really bad, Ceton. The remote worked once the batteries were in correctly.

After a day the "recovering..." message is still there and Ceton support hasn't responded but I guess this has to be RMAed and I have to pull everything apart and put my XBox back.

Jclausing

Post by Jclausing » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Mskenny: Support will most likely tell you to do this:

Please try following the instructions below:
1. Attach network, power and video cables to your Echo, then turn it on.
2. Power off the Echo using your remote control
3. Type the word "recovery" (73268379) on the number pad of your remote control. If you make a mistake, type "0" 10 times in a row, then try again
4. The Echo should turn on and enter recovery mode. Please leave it in this mode until it completes, or for at least 60 minutes.
5. If Echo has not completed Recovery after 60 minutes, please power it off with the remote, then power it back on, and allow it to sit for another 60 minutes.

I tried this twice and it did not work. I even left it at recovering for over 5 hours just to be sure and it still never came off that screen. Your descirption of events is identical to mine. I wonder how many more of us are out there that never got this up and running even once??

Motz

Post by Motz » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:52 pm

mskenny wrote:
Jclausing wrote: **update** after sitting there for 45 minutes displaying "recovering", the unit turned off. I rebooted and am back at the Ceton logo with "recovering" again.
Having the same problem. It started and gave me the pairing code which I entered on my WMC machine. I got an error in WMC but went I looked at the extender it seemed to have paired but it seemed frozen. I pulled the plug and rebooted and now I only get the "recovering" message.

I thought it was frozen because it didn't respond to the remote. It turns out that the remote batteries weren't inserted correctly because the polarity indicators in the remote say "+" next to both battery spots. I later saw the Ceton website where it showed that the top battery should have the "-" side up. That's really bad, Ceton. The remote worked once the batteries were in correctly.

After a day the "recovering..." message is still there and Ceton support hasn't responded but I guess this has to be RMAed and I have to pull everything apart and put my XBox back.
Sorry about the battery mix up. Completely my fault here for not double checking, it is obvious now that I see it that both of the small ones are + as well:

http://cetoncorp.com/wp-content/uploads ... -Guide.png
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Memristor

Post by Memristor » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:26 pm

Similar problems here, I connected the Echo as described. The first time booting it up it displayed the recovery mode message for about 30-40 min than rebooted and came back with the code for WMC. WMC found the extender and the Echo rebooted automatically after pairing was successful. But it went right back into the pairing screen and displayed another number. I registered the extender again with the new number and it rebooted again. This time the Echo found the host but hangs on the login screen. I tried to reboot the WMC PC and Echo several times but it always gets stuck at the same login screen. Good that newegg extended it's return policy until January 31st. So for now the unit is a $169 paper weight until I hear back from Ceton with a fix hopefully before January 31st.

jagrime2

Post by jagrime2 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:05 pm

I also got the recovering error with red error lights on the front. Ran through the potential fixes but only seemed to make it worse -- now I do not even get a tv signal output from the Echo.

I did have a second unit that I purchased and have that one up and running. At this point even with the quirks with using my 360 as an extender it offers superior performance and has tons more features -- especially being able to play movies without constant buffering. Based on the performance I likely will just return the "broken" unit and hold on to the other to see what Ceton can do with firmware updates.

ddevonb

Post by ddevonb » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:58 pm

I just installed the Echo. I can't get through an entire recorded show without it crashing my computer. If I try to watch live TV, the channel comes on for a few seconds then crashes the computer.

I am using the InfiniTV 4 USB on my computer and it works well through WMC on through my main TV from the computer.

I am also running Windows 7 on an HP i7 (2nd gen) with 8G ram.

Classifiedinfo

Post by Classifiedinfo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:15 am

So my wife got me the Echo for Christmas. I have a new HTPC i built this year with an i5 3500k, 8GB ram, SSD, etc, etc.

I install the Echo and the first thing it does is reboot my HTPC. WTF?

I think i'm returning this crap....