How to open more than 2 windows in W8

Beerman

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to open more than 2 windows in W8

Post by Beerman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:57 pm

This is sort of off topic of this forum but I wonder why Microsoft calls this versions 'Windows'. You can't really view more than 2 apps, programs, whatever at the same time and to move between them is not very easy.
I'm hopeful someone will come up with a program that will allow you to do this. Even if I could constantly view the task bar to quickly jump between open programs would be good.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:33 pm

Do ALT+TAB, ALT+ESC, or WIN+TAB work?

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:00 pm

Alt+Esc does but that's not what I want to do most of the time. With a big enough monitor, I'd like to sometimes have live tv in a small portion of the screen, my browser open in a much larger portion and usually a third program open as well......all on screen at the same time.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Really? You can't open small windows, and arrange them all on the screen at the same time??? If that's true, then who would want W8?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:36 pm

Only Metro apps ("Windows 8 Store Style", or whatever they're officially called this month) are restricted to 100%, 66% or 33% of the screen. You can open as many windows as you want in the desktop mode of Windows 8. As Media Center is a Desktop app anyway, if you split-screen Desktop with a Metro app, you can put 8MC and any other desktop app you want in the Desktop portion of the screen.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:41 pm

It's true. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Why people are rushing to "upgrade" to this POS, is mind boggling.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:11 pm

This is the most pointless rant ever, if you open the desktop it is the same as w7.
You can't launch metro apps in any other version of windows.... And as stated above you could have email open 33% of screen then many others in the desktop "app".
I wish people would think before "dissing" w8, you can't change it so either stick with 7 or don't upgrade ffs....
Lee

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:18 pm

Oh and U can open plenty of "apps" and go top left drag down and U av multiple open "windows"....
Lee

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:21 pm

mdavej wrote:It's true.
No, it's not true. Windows Media Center in Windows 8 can be open on the screen at the same time as dozens of other apps, each in their own window, just as it could in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.

Windows 8 does support an entirely new class of apps that can't be windowed. if you don't like them, or find them too restrictive, don't use them.
And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Why people are rushing to "upgrade" to this POS, is mind boggling.
Some minds are more easily boggled than others. So far the only thing I can't do in Windows 8 that I could do in Windows 7 is run an old Windows 98 game. I won't be upgrading my HTPC, and I'm still figuring out where some things are on my own desktop, but I don't see any reason to go back to Windows 7.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:22 pm

I haven't installed W8 yet. I'm planning to try it on my desktop PC. I would NEVER try it on my HTPC. Is there a tutorial of some kind in W8 to explain the differences, and how to use the new interface with a mouse?

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:17 am

foxwood wrote:
mdavej wrote:It's true.
No, it's not true. Windows Media Center in Windows 8 can be open on the screen at the same time as dozens of other apps, each in their own window, just as it could in Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP.

Windows 8 does support an entirely new class of apps that can't be windowed. if you don't like them, or find them too restrictive, don't use them.
And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Why people are rushing to "upgrade" to this POS, is mind boggling.
Some minds are more easily boggled than others. So far the only thing I can't do in Windows 8 that I could do in Windows 7 is run an old Windows 98 game. I won't be upgrading my HTPC, and I'm still figuring out where some things are on my own desktop, but I don't see any reason to go back to Windows 7.
Well, I can have as many as I won't 'open' at the same time but I can only view 3 on one screen at a time. Firefox isn't an 'app' so it is hidden as soon as I go to another non-app.
I'm not dissing it, merely asking how it can be done. I just want to be ope to have the option of showing as many windows as I want on 1 screen in any size I choose and nothing I do in W8 let's me do this. It's not a rant, just a fact!

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:53 am

I think it might be the fact that I'm using Start8 that may be stopping me for multi windows while in desktop. I have a laptop with W8 but without Start8 and it works just fine.

RealCodeGuy

Post by RealCodeGuy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:04 am

mdavej wrote:It's true. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Why people are rushing to "upgrade" to this POS, is mind boggling.
I like it better than Win7. I only use desktop mode and stay away from the tablet/metro interface, but I think they've done a fine job.

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:17 am

barnabas1969 wrote:I haven't installed W8 yet. I'm planning to try it on my desktop PC. I would NEVER try it on my HTPC. Is there a tutorial of some kind in W8 to explain the differences, and how to use the new interface with a mouse?
There are guides on the Microsoft web site: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... nvistatab1

and "How to" pages: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... ics#1TC=t1

Also, when you install it, there's a simple video tutorial which plays while it's installing. Once installed, the Help link will take you to the online help site:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... et-started
Last edited by gcoupe on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff Coupe

gcoupe

Post by gcoupe » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:26 am

I continue to be amazed at the "Chicken Little" reactions and the amount of vitriol being poured on W8. Even usability experts who should know better seem to be deliberately misrepresenting W8 in order to get publicity. Jakob Nielsen, I'm looking at you.

I'm perfectly comfortable using W8 on my desktop with keyboard/mouse - not a touchscreen in sight, and I see no need whatsoever for utilities such as Start8. I've just upgraded my husband's desktop to W8, and he's taken to it like a duck to water.
Geoff Coupe

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:54 am

gcoupe wrote:I continue to be amazed at the "Chicken Little" reactions and the amount of vitriol being poured on W8. Even usability experts who should know better seem to be deliberately misrepresenting W8 in order to get publicity. Jakob Nielsen, I'm looking at you.

I'm perfectly comfortable using W8 on my desktop with keyboard/mouse - not a touchscreen in sight, and I see no need whatsoever for utilities such as Start8. I've just upgraded my husband's desktop to W8, and he's taken to it like a duck to water.
this is precisely the reaction to win 7 that we saw on the old tgb. nothing surprises me about the extent of the ludditism of the people who you would expect to be promoting it. i mean i do get the WAF brigade, i have one to pacify myself but there's no point in innovation ceasing just because at this moment in time you have your system the way you like it

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:32 pm

As an added bonus in w8 me the wife and little girl have an account each and user switching is great..
And the "apps" for my 2yr old were worth upgrading for, just to keep her happy....
Lee

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:59 pm

Win 8 was designed for a 2 year old, not an adult. That's great for you child, but makes the OS useless to me. Everything is harder to do. I don't like playing hide and seek to find what I want and I don't want to learn an alphabet soup of new Win key combos for what I could do in two clicks on Win 7. Just give back the start menu and let me avoid Metro completely, and I'll be happy. Until then, Win 8 is a non-starter, literally.

StumpyBloke

Post by StumpyBloke » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:51 pm

Peeps, before this topic descends even further in the wrong direction can we all please respect everyone has a different opinion, and are entitled to that opinion. Some like Windows 8, some don't! I think it's the biggest POS I've ever had the misfortune to use (GUI wise, technically it's great)...does that make me a Luddite etc?

Lets stop with the personal remarks...peace :)

Carry on....
Rich

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:30 pm

StumpyBloke wrote: I think it's the biggest POS I've ever had the misfortune to use (GUI wise, technically it's great)...does that make me a Luddite etc?
If you don't like it, don't use it. It's not as if anyone else cares what you use on your own desktop.