WMC Search Why no Worky?

Jamr

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Search Why no Worky?

Post by Jamr » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:47 pm

Great community here. Love the information. Sorry if this problem has been covered, I did a search here to no post.
I am having a problem with the search bars in WMC. All of them are behaving this way and I need to get a solution.
I want to replace my aging and not made any more remotes (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Gyration-based_MCE_Remotes) with this new one (http://shop.inteset.com/Products/11-int ... eiver.aspx). It seems the new ones do all that I want except for the gyro and mouse movement.
This is where the problem is. Now that I will be losing the mouse capabilities, I am relying on my new remotes arrows only for navigation through WMC. When selecting any search, How do you bring up the on screen keyboard from the search box? When I press OK while my cursor is blinking in the search box, I get an audible error ding from windows and the on screen keyboard does not appear. Is there a trick to doing this?
Can someone else verify their WMC is behaving in the same manor. I have tried it with all three of my WMC machines and they all seem to behaving the same way.
Does anyone know a trick to bring up the OSK with only a remote?
Thanks in advance.
Jamr

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:23 pm

Change the value of the following registry key to 1 and reboot:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings]
"showOskOnKeyboardEnter"=dword:00000001

(Thanks to vladd at avsforum for posting this tip).

Jamr

Post by Jamr » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:01 pm

mdavej wrote:Change the value of the following registry key to 1 and reboot:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\MCE.PerUserSettings]
"showOskOnKeyboardEnter"=dword:00000001

(Thanks to vladd at avsforum for posting this tip).
Thanks to both of you. That worked. Does anyone know why it would be turned off by default?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:41 pm

Jamr wrote:Thanks to both of you. That worked. Does anyone know why it would be turned off by default?
Unfortunately, it's because Media Center is made by Microsoft, not Apple.

lostformars

Post by lostformars » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:05 am

I realize this is an old thread. I have a new Win 7 installation. I enabled this registry key but WMC crashes every time I try to bring up the OSK. Any suggestions?

dejavux2

Post by dejavux2 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:47 pm

There is no need to press OK or Enter when the cursor is in that box.... just start typing what your looking for using the number keys. The OSK will come up automatically.