InfiniTV

Beerman

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV

Post by Beerman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:51 am

Should I need to contact my cable company if I'm just updating to Windows 8 Media Center if my card was working fine in Windows 7?
I'm not getting any cable card channels and the diagnostic tool doesn't show a check mark next to cablecard entitlement.

tim5455

Post by tim5455 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:54 am

Ceton sent out an email about a week ago that stated that we shouldn't upgrade to Windows 8, because Microsoft just gave them the media center kit and they need time to debug the Windows 8 driver. For more info goto www.ceton.com

Tim

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Well, I don't know why it worked but a reboot later, I'm in business. I've never had to reboot to get the tuner to work and literally did nothing else but probe around.
And, mcbackup seemed to work afterward. Copied all my future recordings over.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:27 pm

To answer the original question, in case anyone else stumples across it - No, the cable-card is paired to the Ceton tuner - upgrading the OS won't require you to re-pair the cable-card to the tuner, so you shouldn't need to get the cable company invoved.

Copy-protected recordings, on the other hand, are "paired" to the computer that they were recorded on, so you may lose your copy-protected recordings when upgrading. (In theory, you should be able to keep them through an upgrade, but don't bet on it).