"On Tonight" Feature Throws an Error

Discuss My Media Center for Windows 8, Windows RT, iOS, Android, and WP, and ask Ceton for support.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center.
N4cr2k

HTPC Specs: Show details

"On Tonight" Feature Throws an Error

Post by N4cr2k » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:33 pm

I've setup the companion service on my main HTPC and also on my workstation. I am using the android app on my smartphone. So far, everything I've tried works, but the "On Tonight" feature under the movies tab times out and throws the error "unable to load movies please check connection or reselect PC". I get this error over WIFI and faux-G (4G) and on both PCs. I can bring up the movie gallery on both PC's inside WMC without issue. If this is a timeout related issue I didn't see any setting in the app to adjust. Or am I just doing something wrong?

Mods, if this belongs in the troubleshooting sub-forum, please move...

N4cr2k

Post by N4cr2k » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Just an update to my original post the tonight feature started working on my workstation, but it still times out on my HTPC. I sniffed the traffic with wireshark on my workstation and can see it returning results. I noticed there are API keys and time stamps involved and just passing a simple GET request to the service doesn't work. So my next question, is there a way to issue the on tonight request (without the companion app) to see if it produces the results?

Motz

Post by Motz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:22 pm

In the latest version in android i extended the timeout to 10 seconds. I will be making more optimizations to this code so it gathers smaller results from the server. Did it start working on your android device?

We have layers of security built into the app even before users add on a password so unfortunately there is no way without the app or the source code to issue the request.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

N4cr2k

Post by N4cr2k » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:07 pm

When I select my workstation from the companion app, the on tonight feature works. When I select my HTPC the on tonight feature times out. Naturally my workstation is a more robust machine, but the movie guide inside WMC on my HTPC is fully populated in about 4 seconds. The on tonight feature isn't a huge deal to me, but I thought I'd bring it to the dev's attention in case anyone else is having issues.

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Hmmm that is interesting, I will open up a bug in our tracker and hopefully i can improve the performance on it and get it working on your HTPC.

http://tracker.cetoncorp.com/issues/331
I Write, Code, and Tweet

STC

Post by STC » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:57 pm

Feature Request!

Any chance of extending 'On tonight' with a user selectable time-frame up to say 24 hours?
Rename it to 'On Soon'.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:10 pm

Yeah we have to make some changes server side to fix that up, but yeah ideally it will let request any day, however I obviously want you to boot up the app every single day :)

Also for n4c: Is the premieres section working on your htpc? (they use similar code)
I Write, Code, and Tweet

N4cr2k

Post by N4cr2k » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:55 pm

The premiers section seems to be spotty. I just tested it and got 2 failures, but on the 3rd try it worked just fine. Now this was in a building with poor coverage. I'll try over WiFi to see if that makes a difference.

Motz

Post by Motz » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:07 pm

What are the specs on your HTPC and also how many channels do you have in your guide?
I Write, Code, and Tweet

N4cr2k

Post by N4cr2k » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:05 am

Motz wrote:What are the specs on your HTPC and also how many channels do you have in your guide?
My HTPC is built off of the Nvidia ION platform (1.6Ghz dual core CPU w/ Nvidia Gforce 9400M GPU) 4GB Ram 1TB WD green drive and Ceton InfiniTV Pci-e tuner. Since this is a dedicated machine it doesn't run anything except WMC. When I do a "on tonight" request to my HTPC it uses 25% CPU. When I issue the same request to my workstation it uses 12% CPU.

WMC sees 686 channels. Filtering out SD duplicates I have about 300 channels in my guide.

Also I tried Premieres over WiFi on the local LAN and it worked just fine.

cmicktv

Post by cmicktv » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:16 am

Is there any way to filter the channels considered for the "On Tonight" feature? An example being just use a list of "Favorite Channels" to search from.

Motz

Post by Motz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:22 am

The only filtering right now we have is in the settings with is for HD only which will only search for hd movies.

We only look at channels that are in your guide. I removed all of my duplicate SD channels which helps speed everything up a lot.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

Motz

Post by Motz » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:46 am

In the latest version i just uploaded you can now adjust the timeout. I suggest 14 seconds if you are experiencing this issue at all.
I Write, Code, and Tweet

N4cr2k

Post by N4cr2k » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:28 pm

The new version with the selectable timeout settings has solved my "On Tonight" issues.

Thanks!

Motz

Post by Motz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:06 pm

No problem, in the new new version 1.2.8 I default now to 14 seconds. 1.2.7 had a few issues with timeouts, but everything now should be solved in 1.2.8 :)
I Write, Code, and Tweet