Don't upgrade to Windows 8 if you use Media Center

johnnybee

HTPC Specs: Show details

Don't upgrade to Windows 8 if you use Media Center

Post by johnnybee » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:29 pm

I have been trying for three hours to get the product key for MC after I installed Windows 8 Pro to no avail. I talked with 7 people. The bottom line is that if you use MC, you will be without it for up to two days before you can get it, let along have it up and running. Had I known this, I would have NEVER upgraded to Windows 8 Pro.

BE WARE that Microsoft does not care about MC users. Funny how I got the key for Windows 8 Pro immediately, yet with so few of us who use MC, they can't do the same thing.

When I called Redmond, I was told that I cannot talk to any staff without first asking in writing to do so.

MICROSOFT IS A JOKE!!

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:01 pm

I just got a key that I had requested ysterday.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:30 pm

I wonder why people are still surprised by things like this.

One should NEVER, EVER touch a mission-critical setup without full information and full testing of the update on a separate platform.

Or, in this case, just wait for others to find all the bugs and get it all squared away before you jump in.

It's the pioneers who have the arrows in their backs. Bleeding edge does nothing but give you bragging rights--just ask those who stood in line 7 months ago for the iPad3, only to see it (and its resale value) disappear on Tuesday when Apple announced the iPad4.

Eventually, you get to the point where you say "never again". And once you get to that point, you, too, will see posts like the above and just shake your head.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:37 pm

johnnybee wrote:I have been trying for three hours to get the product key for MC after I installed Windows 8 Pro to no avail.
Did you try to pay $9.99 for the activation code in the online store, or did you try to get a free code?

If you've paid your $9.99 and are still waiting for your activation code, I'd agree that that's definitely a problem. If you're waiting for your free activation code, I sympathize, but you should have requested it and waited until you got it before starting your build.

johnnybee

Post by johnnybee » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:45 pm

How would anyone have known?

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:52 pm

johnnybee wrote:How would anyone have known?
Known what - whether they'd recieved the e-mail with the activation code?

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Got my free WMC activation key via email just a couple minutes ago!
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:02 pm

I think the title should be, "Don't upgrade to Windows 8 if you use Windows 7". HTH someone. :lol:

rebornempowered

Post by rebornempowered » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:07 pm

Got my three keys that I submitted for yesterday. Now I just need to get that low power APU board and I am switching to Win 8 and low power.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:22 pm

johnnybee wrote:How would anyone have known?
Come on. Really? You've never experienced a delay receiving an e-mail before? I'm probably not going to upgrade to Win8 anytime soon... but I applied for the free key just in case. I got my e-mail about 24 hours after I asked for it yesterday evening. There's never a guarantee on the time for e-mail delivery. I may (probably not) buy the Win8 upgrade.

If I do, I'll make a system image of my perfectly working Win7 HTPC, then install the upgrade, apply the Media Center key, make another system image, and then restore my working Win7 image.

Why would I do this? To have a $39.00 upgrade to Win8 in my pocket... just in case I ever need it. But I wouldn't upgrade my WORKING Win7 HTPC just for the sake of upgrading.

TheOsburnFamil

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:02 am

barnabas1969 wrote:If I do, I'll make a system image of my perfectly working Win7 HTPC, then install the upgrade, apply the Media Center key, make another system image, and then restore my working Win7 image.

Why would I do this? To have a $39.00 upgrade to Win8 in my pocket... just in case I ever need it. But I wouldn't upgrade my WORKING Win7 HTPC just for the sake of upgrading.
ditto
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

rangel10

Post by rangel10 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:27 am

Every single person on this forum should upgrade to 8 so we can Show MSFT there is value in MCE. Also I am not sure why Ceton didn't just release their own MCE Win8 App. Do we really need to beg MSFT to upgrade MCE maybe not if Ceton or Nievus released their app to the Store.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:02 pm

I would do this if it wasn't a downgraded product, but everything I have read has stated it is. If their hope is to prove nobody uses it, downgrading and then asking people to buy it would certainly do the trick.
Greg

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:40 pm

rangel10 wrote:Every single person on this forum should upgrade to 8 so we can Show MSFT there is value in MCE. Also I am not sure why Ceton didn't just release their own MCE Win8 App. Do we really need to beg MSFT to upgrade MCE maybe not if Ceton or Nievus released their app to the Store.
Or, if you don't want to cast your vote for Windows 8 but you still want to cast your vote for WMC, you could do like I do, and opt-in to the Customer Experience program in Windows 7.

Personally I will not be casting a vote for failure to update WMC.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:03 pm

rangel10 wrote:Every single person on this forum should upgrade to 8 so we can Show MSFT there is value in MCE. Also I am not sure why Ceton didn't just release their own MCE Win8 App. Do we really need to beg MSFT to upgrade MCE maybe not if Ceton or Nievus released their app to the Store.
You've got to be kidding. In case you haven't heard, they've already abandoned the product.

justjax

Post by justjax » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:30 pm

I'm thinking of upgrading mainly just so that I get W8 while its discounted (downloading direct from Microsoft). I know you cant select the option to boot to WMC and but can someone confirm that the WMC add on does add the ability to watch DVD's within WMC? I pretty much always use WMC to watch DVDs so it's not an issue if the codec only works within it, but just want to be sure that if I upgrade I at least have DVD playback as standard without any further cost.

kc10boom

Post by kc10boom » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:34 pm

I may install Windows 8 and install the media pack, image it, then re-image Windows 7 Pro back on my HTPC until vendors get solid products and drivers

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:34 pm

justjax wrote:I'm thinking of upgrading mainly just so that I get W8 while its discounted (downloading direct from Microsoft). I know you cant select the option to boot to WMC and but can someone confirm that the WMC add on does add the ability to watch DVD's within WMC? I pretty much always use WMC to watch DVDs so it's not an issue if the codec only works within it, but just want to be sure that if I upgrade I at least have DVD playback as standard without any further cost.
If I understand you correctly, you're going to buy something you neither want nor need and have worries about out of fear they're going to raise the price on it. It's not the first time I've heard people say this, and my advice remains the same: Sales encourage them. Don't.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:49 pm

crawfish wrote:
justjax wrote:I'm thinking of upgrading mainly just so that I get W8 while its discounted (downloading direct from Microsoft). I know you cant select the option to boot to WMC and but can someone confirm that the WMC add on does add the ability to watch DVD's within WMC? I pretty much always use WMC to watch DVDs so it's not an issue if the codec only works within it, but just want to be sure that if I upgrade I at least have DVD playback as standard without any further cost.
If I understand you correctly, you're going to buy something you neither want nor need and have worries about out of fear they're going to raise the price on it. It's not the first time I've heard people say this, and my advice remains the same: Sales encourage them. Don't.
He didn't ask for your opinion about whether he should upgrade - he asked a specific question about a specific feature.

If you can't actually answer the guys question, don't waste your time, or ours, opinionating.

Thanks.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:53 pm

foxwood wrote:
crawfish wrote:
He didn't ask for your opinion about whether he should upgrade - he asked a specific question about a specific feature.

If you can't actually answer the guys question, don't waste your time, or ours, opinionating.

Thanks.
You're not welcome. I offered the guy some input on his purchase decision, advice that will save him both money and headaches if he follows it. If you don't like it, tough. You're as free to ignore it as he is.