infiniTV & macroblocking

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
magno101

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by magno101 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:25 pm

I have the exact same issues that scyto is reporting. My problems are only with CBS HD on TimeWarner Cable (San Antonio). Mine are happening a bit more frequently than scyto's (1-3 minutes usually). The channel is un-watchable and un-recordable.

I've had a ticket open with Ceton for a long while now, updated to their latest beta drives, and have sent them a couple of packet captures but responses have grown silent.

While I'm glad to see it's not just me with this issue, I'm sad to see it is something which hasn't been solved.

jacobsjg

Post by jacobsjg » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:57 pm

Just to follow up, I still have not seen any issues since updating to the latest beta stuff last week. Atleast for me, things seem to be resolved.

romperroom

Post by romperroom » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:51 am

Is the beta firmware update everyone's talking about the Windows 8 Pro installer (2012.11.26.0820)? If so, I assume it works just fine with Windows 7?

I'm definitely curious as to everyone's ongoing experience with this update. I'm so sick to death of this macroblocking issue. I didn't think it would ever be addressed. I am a bit gun shy though on installing a new update on my system that is working just fine except for the pixelation. Please....let's get more feedback from everyone!!!!

MeInDallas

Post by MeInDallas » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:43 pm

Go to this page: http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/b ... er-update/

Theres 2 downloads there, one for Windows 8 (2012.11.26.0820)and one for Windows 7 (2012.10.23.0732). I've been using the beta for several weeks now and I'm really happy. Havent had any macroblocking at all since I started using it.

romperroom

Post by romperroom » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:28 pm

Which one are you using?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:18 am

romperroom wrote:Is the beta firmware update everyone's talking about the Windows 8 Pro installer (2012.11.26.0820)? If so, I assume it works just fine with Windows 7?
Those are drivers, not firmware. You can update to the latest beta firmware from within the Ceton Diagnostic Tool (it's in the Update tab).

MeInDallas

Post by MeInDallas » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:23 am

romperroom wrote:Which one are you using?
I'm using the one for Windows 7, I dont have Windows 8.

romperroom

Post by romperroom » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:53 am

Richard,

I currently have firmware version 1.1.7.2 released on 3/13/12. Where do you go to actually download the new beta firmware version? I looked on the Diagnostic tool update tab & only saw where you can install the update once you've already downloaded it. Does the latest Windows 7 beta installer contain the the new firmware update or is there somewhere else to download only only it?

MeInDallas

Post by MeInDallas » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:52 am

What you need to do is this. Go into your control panel and under "programs and features" uninstall the Ceton software you see there. Then go to this page http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/b ... er-update/ and download the Beta Infinitv Installer for Windows 7 (2012.10.23.0732) if you are using Windows 7. Once you install it then open the Ceton Diagnostic tool like you normally do, and go to the Update tab. Make sure the box is checked where it says "Include Beta Updates" and when it checks for firmware updates, it will show the 1.2.2.6 beta firmware.

Basically what youre doing is taking the old Ceton software off you had, and then putting on the new software so you can update to the beta firmware.

romperroom

Post by romperroom » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:48 am

Thank you! I removed the old Ceton software and installed the new. Just like you said, I was able to download the beta firmware now. Everything is back up & working right now. I'll have to do the same thing on the living room HTPC later tonight as well. Time will tell if it fixed the macroblocking issue! fingers crossed

MeInDallas

Post by MeInDallas » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:00 am

Hope it works good for you! I've not had any macroblocking in weeks now, so happy about it :clap:

romperroom

Post by romperroom » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:09 am

I'm just really surprised that I hadn't read anything about this possible fix over on the old TGB site (now the Windows Experts site). I would have figured this would have been plastered all over the place there seeing how long the same thread has been active over there & how many people have had this issue. Someone should post this over there...there would be a LOT of happy people!!

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:02 am

I am going to be a contrarian here. I was seeing very little macroblocking with the older firmware but now after installing the new 1.2.2.6 firmware and the 6289 hardware version I am seeing horrible macroblocking. It is not the single line stuff that many have been complaining about but all over the picture; kinda like with a weak signal, but my signal strength and S/N are the same as before the update. I have opened a ticket with Ceton.

Edit: Ok heard back from Ceton; provided a beta hardware update that solved the problem. Version 6408.

BTW, I had to uninstall the beta driver diagnostic software in order to save diagnostic data to the disk. The beta version would not let me save the diagnostic data.

jziggity

Post by jziggity » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:10 pm

Hey FC, are you saying there is a beta driver software update to the beta firmware update? I have also seen a few of the nearly full-screen digital artifacts/scrambling, but just a handful of times in an hour long episode. I believe the beta firmware 1.2.2.6 has resolved the previous single line macroblocking issues. Just so we're all talking about the same terminology here, the 6408 update you got from Ceton was a software driver update, correct? Is that something you have to get directly from Ceton, i.e. they haven't posted it anywhere else yet? Thanks.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:23 pm

jziggity wrote:Hey FC, are you saying there is a beta driver software update to the beta firmware update? I have also seen a few of the nearly full-screen digital artifacts/scrambling, but just a handful of times in an hour long episode. I believe the beta firmware 1.2.2.6 has resolved the previous single line macroblocking issues. Just so we're all talking about the same terminology here, the 6408 update you got from Ceton was a software driver update, correct? Is that something you have to get directly from Ceton, i.e. they haven't posted it anywhere else yet? Thanks.
No, the 6408 is a beta "hardware" update. So to recap I am running Firmware version 1.2.2.6 which is beta AND hardware version 6408 which is beta. The macroblocking that I was seeing only went away after installing 6408.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:30 am

fiteclub wrote:
jziggity wrote:Hey FC, are you saying there is a beta driver software update to the beta firmware update? I have also seen a few of the nearly full-screen digital artifacts/scrambling, but just a handful of times in an hour long episode. I believe the beta firmware 1.2.2.6 has resolved the previous single line macroblocking issues. Just so we're all talking about the same terminology here, the 6408 update you got from Ceton was a software driver update, correct? Is that something you have to get directly from Ceton, i.e. they haven't posted it anywhere else yet? Thanks.
No, the 6408 is a beta "hardware" update. So to recap I am running Firmware version 1.2.2.6 which is beta AND hardware version 6408 which is beta. The macroblocking that I was seeing only went away after installing 6408.
Are you talking about the hardware version shown in the ceton diag tool? If so, mine shows 6408 and I've had this card since 5/18/11. AFAIK, this refers to the physical hardware and cannot be updated without changing the card.

fiteclub

Post by fiteclub » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:25 am

woodchuck wrote:
fiteclub wrote:
Are you talking about the hardware version shown in the ceton diag tool? If so, mine shows 6408 and I've had this card since 5/18/11. AFAIK, this refers to the physical hardware and cannot be updated without changing the card.
Yes, I am talking about the hardware version shown in the ceton diag tool. The hardware version most certainly can be updated.
I think you are mistaken about having 6408 since 5/18/11. This is the current beta release of the hardware revision.

magno101

Post by magno101 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:52 am

Just an update on my situation.

I've had a ticket open with Ceton since November 2012. They've "worked" with TWC and have asked me to have a technician come out to my house to test the signal again.

I just (tonight) updated the software on my media server with the link provided by "MeInDallas", which has updated my driver version (12.12.26.1250), but Firmware and Hardware version remains the same (1.2.2.6 & 6212).

The issue still persists for me. I'm completely sure that the technician will find nothing wrong on his end when he gets here. Here is a screen-shot from the first tab of my Ceton Diagnostics page.

magno101

Post by magno101 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:39 pm

***Another Update***

Ceton is going to RMA my tuner in an attempt to fix the issue. The new tuner should be delivered on Thursday, so we'll see what happens after I replace it this weekend.

MeInDallas

Post by MeInDallas » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:06 am

Your hardware version is different than mine. I have 6210 and I dont exactly know what that means :eh: