CCC Dynamic Range versus Pixel Format?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
Mike88

HTPC Specs: Show details

CCC Dynamic Range versus Pixel Format?

Post by Mike88 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:16 am

What does Dynamic Range do that Pixel Format does not do?

I’m using CCC 11.4 and have experimented with the 4 Pixel Format settings & the only thing I can see is that the Full RGB is 0-255 color and the other 3 selections are 16-235.

I’m using mostly default settings and the Dynamic Range is not checked & the 0-255 button is selected, however the whole thing is grayed out. What does that mean, I have no Dynamic Range? That doesn’t make sense. If DR was not grayed out & still not checked how would that differ? What’s the purpose of the checkmark box since some dynamic range is needed?

If DR 16-235 is selected & checked, and Limited RGB is also selected, does that mean a double conversion is being done?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:25 am

If the dynamic range setting is grayed out, that means you can't customize the value. This is because you've selected a pixel format with a fixed dynamic range. As an example, the Limited RGB option has a fixed dynamic range of 16-235, so you can't customize the dynamic range for that pixel format.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:03 pm

If I un-check "Enforce Smooth Video Playback" I can then select either Full or Limited Dynamic Range. And I can do this with any of the 4 Pixel Format settings. If I change DR to 16-235 and then check Enforce Smooth Video Playback the DR will become grayed out & the 16-235 will be grayed out.

IOW I can use any combination of Pixel Formats & Dynamic Range settings for a total of 8 possible combinations. And the DR setting will get un-checked & become grayed out when Enforce Smooth Video Playback is checked back on, and the DR's last setting will remain but also be grayed out.

I can use a Limited Range Pixel Format with a Full Dynamic Range, or a Full Range Pixel Format with a Limited Dynamic Range. What's the difference?